Baiting

Nice composition David. That pretty well explained everything. I'd love to get behind a NV scope, but I know that is just recipe for disaster. I'm too easily influenced and need to stay married... I think
whistle.gif

Corey,

A few dollars saved here and there adds up pretty quick. What the wife doesn't know won't hurt her. A mans got to do what a mans got to do.

Eric,

Thanks, and thanks for posting that clip as you did. I haven't learned how to do that yet, but need to. Maybe you can educate me.

great video 6mm06!i may have to set one of those up i think it will be ok seeing how its not visable to the eye.

So i had a very interesting weekend ,(actuallly great!)friday night my bait alarm went off and what i think was a yote took before i could get a shot off( again no lights and dark...uhg) then saturday am i called in a yote only to have him come up behind me before i could get a shot. saturday evening i took my 1st ever bobcat! And then to top it off i got this red off my bait sat night!i also had a fisher cat come in 2x and a grey fox that i passed because i thought it was the fisher until it was too late. also a friend this afternoon just gave me a gen1 night vision monocular to try out, at least it night be good to scan with. i'd set up some ir lights but our season ends march 8th....something to do for next year!
2012-02-19_08-07-01_55.jpg

2012-02-19_10-44-53_732.jpg

2012-02-19_10-43-25_455.jpg

Last edited:

Guys, thanks for the good comments. This project has been a trial-and-error one for me, learning a little here and there as I go. I hope the video has been of some help to someone. Hopefully next season things will improve for me. Even though the setup is good, seems I can't be hunting at the right time when the coyotes show up. Haven't had a coyote on the bait since Feb. 5. You can't shoot what you can't see.

Fantastic Deerslyr1, seems you have had a real good season already. Nice cat and fox. Too bad about the coyotes and gray, but at least you know they are there.

One other thing Deerslyr1, food for thought, but if your friend's monocular has a tripod mount, you may be able to rig up a mount to fit a rifle ring, maybe lower half of the ring. Then, use a laser sight for an aiming device. Use the monocular to see and the laser for aiming. That's a poor man's night vision setup that I have been interested in a bit. Saw a sample on YouTube of it sometime back.

Man, things have been dead here lately, so I have resorted to rat trapping. LOL. Have to bait something and keep some myself occupied. Any of you guys have any luck?

Rat03.jpg

Rat02.jpg

Been really quiet here, snowshoeing today revealed a couple of sets of cat tracks and a pair of coyote tracks, sat tonight but no luck, seems like morning is better at least as far as the trail cameras show. Will be out bright and early tomorrow morning.

well just finished modifying driveway alarm like doubleup showed us and seems to be workin great in direct view will work up to 200yrds so all need is bait now

Good to hear the driveway alarm works at 200 yards. That's great. DoubleUp sure came up with a good modification.

Good luck tomorrow morning, DannyK.

I dont understand Ive put out roadkill deer, 25lbs @ a time dogfood they wont eat it but I caught this when I pulled the cameras last week. Guess they dont like free food in virginia
any other ideas? the calling isent working but i know they are there the local sporting goods store runs this predator hunt which I think has most of them super educated. Jack rabbit in distress sends them running I think
smile.gif
im just trying to get one to justify my 1150$ ar
smile.gif
after that they will all be bonuses
keep1.jpg

somebodys got to let me in on something. reaching the 1600$ mark. Im starting to feel like all i have is a paper puncher and crow call at this point
frown.gif

Jackal87, I'm not really sure what your setup is or how/when you are hunting it. I think those who are being most successful with baiting have a situation where they can be at home and bait in their yards or an adjacent woods or field.

This allows the use of an alarm system to notify them when something is on the bait. That way they don't have to leave home and spend hours of daytime or nighttime sitting in a blind waiting for a coyote, fox, or bobcat to be there when they are.

6mm06 has as good a setup as can possibly be rigged. He has spent a good sum of money and lots of time and effort to get his baiting setup right even equipping with infrared scope, camera, etc. and many nights of waiting on a coyote to show when he's there at his camp, but it hasn't happened.

It is very hard to be there when they are there unless your (there) is your home. That way you're going about your normal business and routine until something triggers the alarm. I killed a bunch of coyotes last fall on my baitpile but it is at the back of my yard and I have two alarms to keep me alerted. I also have cameras to let me know if the alarms miss something that doesn't come into the range of the alarms.

I use mostly dogfood and table scraps because I don't want rotting carcases and buzzards all over my yard. I have pear trees in my yard and that is what got them visiting there naturally. They love fruit including watermelons. They were also after the Canada geese which nest on my pond and killed the gander and five goslings last spring. That is when I declared war on them.

Give us a little more info on your setup and we'll all pitch in to try to help you get the best advantage possible. Coyotes are really hard to pattern from my experience, and will show when you don't expect it. Hence the advantage of an alarm system.

I figured everything right on this one last week. Except I flat out missed him at 150 yds at 6:30 in the morning. It happens!
HUNT0067.jpg

DoubleUp,
OUCH that hurts when you miss a chip shot (dont ask how I know)
I have put two on the ground in the last week but I have noticed that they are not eating the bait but atleast they come to the area a offer a shot.
Has anyone noticed the lack of Ravens,Crows,Eagles at your bait I have very few ever land in my area.

Back