Pup Prices

Zackster 2000

I visited the website www.coonhoundcentral.com and I am convinced I need one dog to hunt cats (bobcats mostly) Thanks for the advice on the website. I am also convinced that my neighbors will either shoot me or move to another time zone.

Don't think I can get a "coon" dog where I live now, but will be moving away from neighbors soon. Does anyone know what a good pup from proven "cat hunter" parents would cost? And also, is there a particular breed that does better on cats?

Thanks for any advice.

Zack

Hi Zackster2000 Look In The Full Cry Mag. There
Are All Kinds Of Pups And Started Dogs For Sale
All Breeds. Good Luck And Run Them Hounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks Steve&The Thorn
Mt Hounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Zac, all you need to do is purchase a no bark collar, the run $69.95. Actually they are currently on sale for $39.95 at Bill Boatman's catalog. Your hound won't make a peep while wearing the collar and it doesn't do anything to them when you take them out hunting and put a tracking collar and shock collar on them. I am partial to blueticks, but most common dog is the walker. I also know of several Black n Tans, Redbones and Plott hounds that are super on bobcats. Good Luck. Fred

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if I can get my hands on a copy of the Full Cry mag. I've never seen them on the mag racks around here, but I'll look for one.

I do have a no bark collar that we got for our female choc. lab. That thing worked wonders on her. She has kinda figured out now when she has it on and when she doesn't. I was just worried that a cat dog would be afraid to bark when hunting if you used one. Apparently, nothing will stop them when they are on the hunting trial. Thanks again for the advice. Good to know that my neighbors can maybe tolerate a cat dog.

I almost forgot, please post your thoughts on the best cat dogs, and please pick one. I know there will be disagreement, but I also know that those of you that own hounds have a preference for the best dogs to run cats. Or maybe it all boils down to the proper training. But I would at least like to have some biased input and then make a decision. I think I can only afford one dog to run bobcats and maybe an occasional lion. So what single breed of dog should I look at? Thanks alot for your preference and any help.

Zack

Zackster,

I'll tell you as straight forward as I can, good breeding matters more than which breed. Each breed has good and poor hounds. So I suggest you do a little research and find the one that appeals to you most, and what's available in your area. For a run down on types of hounds go to www.treehound.com
As for me I am going to pick up another walker pup next week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .
Keep us posted and good luck!

NiteFright

NiteFright is right on, whatever breed you choose try if you can to get one from good hunting parents and grand parents. I'm partial to blueticks, however I am getting a Redbone from Wis. next week/a 10 week old pup, and someday I want a Plott hound. The two blueticks I currently own came from a guy in NW MT. He trees 20 or so cats each season, and the parents of the 10 month old male I have have been in on a TON of cats. Here is a good example of good breeding and good instincts. When my male was 4 months old I found a freshly killed coon on the road. I brought it home and drug it through the pasture and hung it in a tree. My pup and me go for a walk, he's all bounding and playful and just loving life. Now realize this pup has had NO training what so ever, anyways we cross the path of the drag. It looked like he got smacked in the forehead with a 2x4. Got all stiff leg, bristles on his back went up and 5 seconds later started brawling. Trotted that track all the way to the tree, put both front feet on the tree and started chopping just like the big dogs. It was amazing to watch the instincts take over his body. I just like the looks of all the hounds, so find one you enjoy and then find a good breeder. Take care and talk to you later. Fred

Hi Zackster2000 How Are You You Can Get The
Full Cry Mag. At C&H Publishing,Inc. Box 778,Sesser, IL 62884. Or Tell#618-625-2711 Or Email AT fullcry@mychoice.net. Thanks And Good
Luck To You And Run Them Hounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks Steve&The Thorn
Mt Hounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks all! I'm now leaning towards a blue tick, but the walkers also sound good. I have been on a few lion hunts and have heard about some bobcat hunts, and it just seems like the excellent lion dogs run into problems with bobcats. The bobcats either jump tree too much or run into holes in the big rims that the lion dogs can't follow. Maybe it's just the western terrain with all the rocks, rims and trees that allow a bobcat to escape too easily.

Machias - Does the guy in MT tree lots of bobcats? I'm thinking that maybe the terrain up there is pretty similar to what we have here.

Thanks again for the advice. Looks like it boils down to bloodlines and proven hunters.

From what I understand ALL breeds have problems with bobcats. They are very hard to keep treed. The guys who do it consitently say you have to get to the tree quickly BUT very quietly. They like to jump out and start all over again if they hear you coming. They also like to sneak out of the tops of the trees into adjoining trees after they rest a bit and leave the hound treed behind them. Yes the guy in MT trees bobcats, but also has had some run off on him when he gets there. Fred

Hi zackster2000 there is a hunter hr. north of me
just had some plott pup this spring i think there
about four weeks old. do you want me to ask if he got any left for you or you going to get a bluetick.lets run them hounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

thanks steve&the thorn
mt hounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Zackster, Not to start any dog debates for cats but, I'm also partial to Blueticks for bobcats and lions. Then again, I have seen some very fine Walkers also. Those two breeds are what I am most familiar with for cats. There seems to be quite a few really good lions hounds out there but a really good bobcat hound is very hard to come by in my opinion. Bobcats will give you and your dog a real run for your money. Do lots of research and talk to lots of different houndsmen and don't be in a great big hurry to purchase. Take your time and learn as much as you can before buying. It will be a learning experience for both you and the dog. Good luck.

Zackster,

I really like Blues too. They generally have a good cold nose. Probably the most important feature in a good cat hound. Having a dog that can run an old track is something that is better bred in proven big game dogs than in trial coonhounds, I think.
You, may consider a started dog. That way since you will only have probably one, you'll have an idea of what your gettin.
As for bobcats yeah they'll hole and jump tree. I like my Walker on em because he's a high pressure treeing dog that will more times than not keep em treed.
If you do your homework and don't jump on the first "deal" you'll more than likely be satisfied in the end.
Also my hound learned he likes to bark more than being shocked. So know bark collars dont always work!

NiteFright

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I probably won't rush into anything now as I have yet to move away from the neighbors and the neighbors have lots of cats that roam into my yard. I think it would be hard to break a cat dog from barking at the neighbors cats but then expect him/her to open up on a bobcat track. However, it may be fun to thin out the local housecats a little:) Just kidding, cat lovers.

I agree on maybe getting a trained 2 or 3 yr old dog, although I'm sure that would cost a lot more. But it may be worth it, since I will only get one chance at this. I may also be able to see the trained dog work a cat before I purchase it. That would be a big plus.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm looking for some real estate so I can hopefully get a dog pretty soon.

how about this, bring your butt down to Farmington and go after them with me this winter. Then you can decide if you want to do this much work each year. With conditions like they are we may even get you a shot at a bear.

Pull in a big striper for me while your on the Butte, I may just come down and jump aboard;)

Chad

Hello NM - Heck, I just thought I would trade a prairie dog shoot for a Butte striper trip:) Now you're talking about letting me tag along on a lion hunt! It's been 23 years since I've seen a lion in a tree, so count me in on that one. I know it's work, even once you have them trained. But watching those dogs work their magic is worth it. Hope you can make it this weekend. Who knows, maybe that state record is waiting for you.

Back