Arizona Bear Questions

Tackdriver

Hello All,
I was wondering what kind of bears you have in Az. Are they black or more of a brown kind? Does the term "Spring Bear" refer to a certain species or sub-species? What is the average height and weight? What about population densities?

------------------
Safety,Ethics, Accuracy, Velocity, Energy-I am On the Way to the Arizona Predator Hunt!!!!!!

My knowledge of bears is really limited, but here goes. If I wander astray, someone correct me.

Arizona has black bears, which come in a wide variety of colors.

"Spring" bears require a tag obtained by a drawing. "Fall" bears require a tag which can be bought over-the-counter. I doubt that a bear knows which kind of tag you have...
biggrin.gif

They are tall enough and heavy enough to scare the heck out of me if I ever succeed in calling one....

Thick enough that in some areas I see them every time I go there in the summer. Don't know how that translates into data....

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

Hello Critter,
So let's say that you are going to hunt in Arizona for a week, and you are not planning to actively pursue bears. Would it be worth the money to put a fall bear tag in your pocket "just in case"? Or is this a situation that is so remote that it does not warrant consideration?

------------------
Safety,Ethics, Accuracy, Velocity, Energy-I am On the Way to the Arizona Predator Hunt!!!!!!

Tackdriver. . .

In Arizona, we have the typical black bear, but individual bears can vary in color from jet black to a light blond color. The phrase “spring bear” simply denotes that Arizona conducts a bear hunt during the Spring of the year.

I wish I could give you some accurate insight to population densities throughout Arizona but I can’t.

Weight wise, I’ve seen two Arizona bears that pushed the 400 lbs. mark, all others hit the scales anywhere from 150-250 pounds.

------------------
yotewalk.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

If you are not after bears, you probably won't even be hunting in good bear territory, so it probably is not worthwile for a non-resident. Resident tags are so inexpensive that I might do it.

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

I'd say that these guys know conditions in their state. As far as color phase, Arizona seems to have the widest variety, from jet black to blonde and even strawberry blonde.

The surest bet would be anywhere along the Mogollon Rim, a few places to start would be Mormon Lake, Young, Snowflake, and Sholow.

So, where was the last bear that I called in AZ? Over by Critr Gitr, near Wikieup! You never know, that's what is so neat about Arizona hunting conditions.

Good hunting. LB

Critr
Yeah, Just thinking that this probably would not be a good "mixed bag". Simply because my rifle that would drop a bear dead in its tracks is not what I am bringing. What I am bringing for predators might make bears mad. Don't really want to carry 2 rifles. And I am not one of these people that wants to be within revolver range of a bear. So the sixgun is staying home too.

You know, the bear is sort of a weird animal. When you think of predator hunting, you do not think of bears. (At least me) Not canine or feline in nature. Yet there they are with teeth and claws, one of natures most awsome predators!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tackdriver (edited 06-23-2001).]

Tackdriver,

A mixed bag is really a complicated thing here in Arizona. This state only allows a certain number of sows to be taken in each hunt unit and when the quota is reached, the season is closed in that area the following wednesday at sundown. You have to check each week to see which areas are still open. Therefore, any or all hunt areas may be closed by the time the PM hunt begins.

However, if there is a hunt open and you decide to try for a bear while you are here, the tags are available over the counter and I have a 7mm rem mag you are welcome to use.

------------------
Take care,
Daryl
yotewalk.gif

Everything that's been said so far is accurate. Az.'s black bears occur in chaparral,pine-oak and pinyon-juniper woodlands,mixed conifer and spruce-fir forests throughout central and southeaster Az.Central Az. bear habitat occurs as a contiguous block running south of the Mongollon Rim and along the eastern third of the state.In contrast,southeastern Az. bear populations are geographically isolated on individual mtn. ranges.
The statewide bear population is around 2,500 and they like to harvest around 250/yr.,with no more than 125 being sows.
The majority of hunting takes place in late summer and fall.There are 3 game mgt. units that have limited spring hunts. As indicted by other correspondants,season length varys by unit,but all units have an annual sow take. Attainment of a unit's sow harvest objective prompts the closure of the hunt the Friday immediately following.
Hope this helps and good luck
Originally posted by Tackdriver:
Hello All,
I was wondering what kind of bears you have in Az. Are they black or more of a brown kind? Does the term "Spring Bear" refer to a certain species or sub-species? What is the average height and weight? What about population densities?

Back