Bear Expansion

trappnman

I have a couple of questions concerning bear expansion of their current territory. Mike, you know what type of country I live in- bluffs, coulees, hardwood forests and farmland. In addition, we have some major "wilderness" WMA such as Trout Valley, Snake Crrek and the Whitewater. Currently, every other year or two, bear sights are reported in my two home counties. A few years ago, there were even sightings of a sow and cubs. I have 2 questions:

1) With the expanding bear population on the Wisc. side of the Mississippi, given the problems of the barrier caused by the river, will Wisc bears ever migrate in enough numbers to provide a breeding population of bears in SE Minnesota?
2) Do you think that since SE Minnesota was part of the historic black bear area (a huntable population was present around Elba in 1919) that the DNR will ever reintroduce bears here? If not, do you feel that it is because public support is against it? Thanks trappnman

------------------
Your American Heritage- Fur Trapping, Hunting and Fishing

If bears show up in SE Minn. they'll probably be Minn. animals coming down the river. That isn't to say that Wisc. bears won't cross the river,but I'd say the Whitewater is more likely to get bears through Minn. rather than Wisc. bears coming over.
To answer your other question,I don't think your DNR would ever intentionally release animals in that part of the state with the intent to establish them. If bears do show up there(and there would be no reason why they shouldn't) your DNR would be accused of releasing them. We went through that over here and still deal with that public impression. The big question will be will the DNR allow those animals that show up to remain? That will be up to the people of the area. It takes a real big educational effort to teach people how to live with wildlife and especially bears. Bears are telling us all the time that they're willing to live with us. They do this by showing up and trying to get themselves re-established in areas that they once called home. The question is,"Can we live with them?"
Biologically the animals are very adaptable so it's going to be the social issues that determine where he exists.
I do believe that the Whitewater can maintain a sustainable pop. but it would require work.
Take care
Originally posted by trappnman:

I have a couple of questions concerning bear expansion of their current territory. Mike, you know what type of country I live in- bluffs, coulees, hardwood forests and farmland. In addition, we have some major "wilderness" WMA such as Trout Valley, Snake Crrek and the Whitewater. Currently, every other year or two, bear sights are reported in my two home counties. A few years ago, there were even sightings of a sow and cubs. I have 2 questions:

1) With the expanding bear population on the Wisc. side of the Mississippi, given the problems of the barrier caused by the river, will Wisc bears ever migrate in enough numbers to provide a breeding population of bears in SE Minnesota?
2) Do you think that since SE Minnesota was part of the historic black bear area (a huntable population was present around Elba in 1919) that the DNR will ever reintroduce bears here? If not, do you feel that it is because public support is against it? Thanks trappnman

Back