Baiting

Looks like a really good time, wish I could have been there! Whats all that white stuff on the ground?
lol.gif
Would be interesting to know what the final tally was. Thanks for posting.
thumbup.gif

I am picking up another bucket of brisket fat from one my wife's employers BBQ restaurants. I freeze it before placing on the baited area like I think most baiters do. Still won't last long, especially now that the Texas weather is getting warmer and it melts fast.

I'm no masterbaiter but I personally find it more effective than calling. Also during the day it is effective way to shoot crows and hawks. For Hawks I only use a camera...
laugh.gif

I put out a fresh roadkill deer and its been 2 weeks nothing but buzzards. they have picked him up to the ribcage from the bottom up. plenty of people in the area(very close by) killing them using howls but my bait isent bringing them in. I dont know whats up? to much food around? I havent even tried the spot since they havent been hitting the free food. The camera is picking up even squirrels so its not missing them.

Last edited:
I think that because we have above normal temps the Yotes can find food easy. But if we could get some realy low temps it would help alot. Boy do I miss my Farm
frown.gif

Hey guys, I found another website with a forum on baiting predators. It's pretty decent. Its bark at the moon coyote club. It is a free admission like this site. Just google it and it will be there.

Predhunter, those are some very nice photos. Good to see someone having something show up on camera. Things are dead here, nothing hitting the bait, not even skunks or possums.

I stayed the night again at the cabin. All was quiet except for a mouse that visited the bait site. Was easy to see him through the night vision scope.

It's supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow and temps will drop, so that may spark some activity.

i just went to my camp and checked my bait. last night this yote came in 12 times ( atleast in front of the cam) between 7:40pm-4:30am.Also had a fisher( wich we cant shoot) and a smaller yote of a large red, it was tough to tell. it has been pretty slow lately till last few days. I'm gonna sit it tonight. Think i should sit it quiet or call ? I havent shot one there since begining of january.
WGI_0016.jpg

tryin something a little dif in this bait bucket, got a couple cans of beef gravy on clearance at the store today. dumped them in with the water and mixed it up good before pouring it into the bucket, should give the ice some flavor lol

If you carefully look behind him they have plenty of bait, currently a deer rib cage, a porcupine, 5 gallons of deer scraps that were put in a bucket then froze with water & dog food. i have pics of him going to and from the bait but this was a better pic(closer) . They def seem to hit the bait more when we have deep snow...(not happening this year!)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Predhunter, those are some very nice photos. Good to see someone having something show up on camera. Things are dead here, nothing hitting the bait, not even skunks or possums.

I stayed the night again at the cabin. All was quiet except for a mouse that visited the bait site. Was easy to see him through the night vision scope.

It's supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow and temps will drop, so that may spark some activity.
Dang David you done shot your Skunk and your Opossum!!! You better get that Big Cat mounted,Well done David!!!
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
FebCoyote.jpg
This one was at the bait when i got up for work thursday morning at 4:50 am. It made a 60yd. dash into the brush upon impact.The family dog found it for me seeing there was no snow at the time and there was zero blood to follow. She was a 35lb. female in very nice shape, and looks good on a stretcher.lol

My bait alarm went off at 4:16 this morning right on the lunar table. Slipped back in the office and it was a nice sized coyote. This one stayed the longest I have ever seen one remain at a pile continuously. He was there for over 30 minutes taking a few pieces and moving off to eat, then going back for more. It was bitter outside with 20 degree temps and winds steady at 25 and gusts to over 40. It really surprised me that he wasn't holed up waiting for the wind to fall out. Evidently he was really hungry. I didn't want to risk the shot in that kind of wind at 150 yds, so I just watched him until he ate all he wanted and left.

Hopefully he'll bring some more with him when he comes back again. I don't want to shoot my stock of coyotes completely out like I did last fall, so I'll let this one feed and and attract some others. Right now, I'm in the fattening up process.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jkrugerPreddhunter, those are very nice pics thanks for sharing.
deerslyr1 , that looks to be a toad of a coyote in your pic.

Definitely looks like a toad of a coyote, as a matter of fact looks almost like a small wolf!

Back