Baiting

Rt2bowhunter,

You may find that they hit the bait at night and thereby make it more difficult to hunt, especially if you have to work the next day.

Post some photos of your box blind and area if you like. We all enjoy photos.

Good luck with your setup. Keep us posted.

Thanks 6mm06, I don't have any pics of my blind its not much.But it keeps me dry and warm. Next time i check my camera i will take a photo. Here is my yote getter. Its a 204AI with a Lilja barrel.I had the light on for a Ohio hunt.
IMG_0044.jpg

Does anyone have experience using one of the red XLR lights over bait? The yotes have been hitting my bait steadily in the middle of the night but wont show during the day. Some nights visibility is too low to make a good shot. I was wondering how spooky the yotes get when the light hits them? My blind is just 40 yards from the bait pile because we are limited to shotguns or rimfire after dark. I have gotten lots of trail cam pics and vids and would love to put a few down.

Last edited:
I have my bait set up 60 yards in front of my stand and when i shot my first coyote from it the light did not bother it at all. I was using a xlr 250 red.

I have watched many fox and coyotes with my red XLR 250 kill light and I have not seen any evidence where it spooked them at all. Maybe the XLR 100 would be a better option for you as your not far from your bait. Good luck.

dubllung4, I've had a few get spooky when the kill light hit them. My close bait pile is 90 yds away from my house. For the most part they either stay still long enough for a shot or settle back down after a few seconds. Usually before that few seconds they are already dead anyway. I have however missed a couple of opportunities because they spooked, and I never got another opportunity on them.

Really it comes down to {do I hit them with the xlr with the crosshairs right on them and take the shot instantly}, or {do I hit them with the lower edge of the halo and then bring it down slowly on them to the brightest beam}. Mostly I've used the put the light right on them when I turn it on and be ready to shoot. One time I forgot to click the safety off and the coyote spooked off but came back and I just kept following him with the light until he moved back where I could shoot. I have killed a couple as far as 150yds with the xlr 250. I do run a flood/spotlight on my baitpile that allows me to see them with binoculars. Of course I have the advanatage of having household current to power it. If you have AC current they are also available in red and amber, but I never saw that it kept the coyotes from coming to the bait so I never tried the red or amber spot/flood. The light is about 30 yds from the close baitpile and 80 yds from the long pile. I hope this will help you a little on getting set up. I do have alarms on both baitpiles that let me know when something is there as well as trailcams on each pile.

Last edited:

Rt2bowhunter, nice looking rifle. We all wish you well with putting it to good use at the bait site. Looking forward to hearing about your results.

David

Thanks,I checked my camera today. Coons and a opossum. At least something is hitting it. The coons are coming in just before dark. And off and on the rest of the night. Up until day break. Its coon season too
wink.gif

Last night around 7pm, my son missed a coyote at the bait,then at 5:30am the beeper went off and when he lit it up there were 3 there but they would not offer a shot. At 3pm today he shot a bobcat on the bait,when he went to get it there was another there but it ran off. Thats a quite afew critters in 24 hrs.
Two days ago I sat up two bait stations on the lake my camp is on.A 55 gal drum of beef parts at each site. I rode my snowmobile down at daylight this morning and one of the bait sites had a ton of tracks on it and about 1/3 of the bait was gone. The baits are about 1 mile apart and I have a icefishing shack 50-70 yds from each bait. I will hunt there in the next few days. I will try to get my settings on this computer fixed so I can post some pics.

Bang flop...The 53gr .223 Superformance met its mark again on yet another coyote. Thats 5 coyotes and 1 cat,
thumbup.gif
so far we have seen at this bait in 24 hrs.
The beeper went off at 2:10am my wife woke me. Then the coyote triped the beeper 6 more times but would not offer me with a good shot.
cursing.gif
Then at 2:55 the big male stood 2 sec to long
lol.gif

Good going Scalloper. Man, get that computer right, we need pics, lots of pics. You sure have them in the groove up there now. That's the way I had it last fall. Unfortunately I killed them all.
smile.gif

I have pics. I need a computer guru to help me get my settings right. I had outlook express that I used with dial-up and now that I have high speed and yahoo e-mail. So when I try to send the photos to Photo bucket it tries to send them threw outlook express???

No wonder I can't kill any coyotes - you and DoubleUp have lured them all to your sites.

That's great stuff there Scalloper. Hope you get things straightened out so we can see some good photos.

I was at camp yesterday at 3pm and I looked at one of my baits with binos and watched a coyote feed. This morning I went to the ice shack overlooking the bait at 6:30am. At 8:30 a coyote came out of the woods and ran to the bait then kept right going. I tried to stop it but it kept running right away.I let it get about 220 yds and fired,bang-flop,in the back of the head and exit above the eye. Another 30+ lb female.

Nice going on the coyote and good shot.

Earlier this season a coyote passed through the bait area and kept on going, didn't stop even though there was meat scraps.

Stayed at the cabin all night last night, only a possum visited.

I spent most of the evening yesterday, and again this morning in the blind, nothing coming to the bait, waited until 8 this morning and used the foxpro with a female invitation, coyotes on both sides of the blind were going crazy, but none offered a shot. Went calling this afternoon, wet sticky snow on the backwaters where we were snowshoeing and lots of water on top of the ice, I'm pooped, back is sore, (ice pack now)hips and knees feel it also. This coyote game is tough. Called one in the backwaters but no shot for my partner, coyote was like a ghost in the balsam trees on the bank.

Last edited:
The weekend local predator hunt, found things a little slow due in most part to the weather. Talking to some of the people that participated Thursday night and Friday produced the best results. After that the coyotes just shut down. I saw that myself as I spent fifteen hours in the blind on
Friday night into Saturday and saw only ravens, one rabbit, and a few red squirrels. This is from the first few contestants, first two person team brought in six coyotes I couldn't stay for the final tally due to a back problem from snowshoeing the other day, back was giving me fits so I had to return home to ice it up again.
predatorhunt005.jpg

Back