homemade goose decoys/ blinds, how can i make some quick cheap ones?

Robert Dutton

hi i am a youngster, next to some of u vetreans, at only the age of 15 3/4. and well i dont got that much cash. well i do but im saving up to either buy a rifle for deer huntin or a 12 ga 3 1/2 auto. already got 250 saved need some more though. anyway i jsut started goose huntin this year, gonna start duck next year. i go behind my house in a 32 acre plot of land. well last year it had corn and i saw a flock of 30-40 geese , canadians, land there everynight. well teh same gfeese are back landing on a pond about 1 mile away from here. well we have soybeans in here this year, not harvested yet. well i was wanding any cheep decoys, liek trash bags sprayed white, or somthing along that line. adn some temporary blinds jsut to cover up. thanks for all teh info. oh yeah i live in kansas but does that matter? adn i will be hunting snow geese, canadians, and "light geese" oh yeah i have a 20 ga pump, 3" mag, is there a good load for that thats under 15$ per box?

Hunt, Fish, Live
I am an OutdoorsMAN,
Robert T.

You could make you're own silos. Or try the trash bags. What about looking for other goose hunters and inviting them to you're spot? You bring the land and some coffee and they bring the decoys.

I'm just thinking that you might want to get those birds in pretty close since you'll be shooting with a 20g. Trash bags might not cut it. You are also a novice, like me, you would do well to try and hunt with someone who has called them in before.

You are facing a long learning curve if you try all by yourself. We have plenty of good old Kansas boys around here, or try a waterfowl forum. Be careful with who you hook up with! Meet them first, have you're parents meet them, ask for references!

Good luck!

Damn Rob,wish you lived a little closer to me. I could bring a few dozen decoys. I just turned 16 this past august and am in my 2 year hunting waterfowl and love it. I have also gotten really good on a duck call and not too bad on the goose call. You sure are lucky to have such a place to hunt.

Good Luck,

Chris

hey, robert: if you can find a glass company that has some used MIRRORS, with scrap plywood you could build a rectangular blind and fasten those mirrors to the outside of it. to birds flying in, those mirrors reflect the soybeans or corn or dirt or whatever is in the field in which you set up the blind! talk about concealment! by the way, i like your enthusiasm; keep it up and don't ever let anybody or anything rob it from you. best wishes to you.

I am also 15. This is gonna be me 5th year hunting Canadian geese. I have bought 3 dozen shell decoys and a dozen full bodys (I worked all summer just to buy some decoys). More then likly if there was corn planted there this year it won't be planted there the next year. The pond would be a good place to set up but you are gonna need decoys to put in the water. I only field hunt and don't have much experence hunting geese over water.

As far as blinds go this year i dug a pit blind in the field i hunted and that is by far the best way i found to hunt them. You can get the geese to land right on top of you. I have also went to the local sporting good store and bought some berlap (spelling?). I just lay in the field, cover up with it and keep my face out with a face mask on.

If they are circling let them circle. If you set your decoys up right they will lock up and drop in right on top of you. Don't get cought up in the moment and shot to early. If they are commited they got to land if you shot once and drop one you can more then lickly get a shot at another.

hey im 22 and from sask canada we get alot of geese up here...first buy shadow grass burlap from cabelas or some other place if you know where this will be about 20 bucks..mak a back rest with hinges and ply would so you can lye on the ground or prop your self..make a small triangle roof so you can flip open..attack some of the burlap to that helps to spray paint it brown first..then with the other burlap attack it to where you feet and legs will be and make a sack to slip in cheap easy and effective.

Robert,
You might try a plastic roll of white table cloth. The rolls are cheap and can be found at stores that sell party suplies. You can cut the plastic into 3x3 ft sq.s.If I remember right one roll will make about 200 squares. The plastic the squares will not soak up water and get heavey. We used to used old dipers, but when they got wet you could not carry them. You can then add full bodys or silhouttes as you get them. In Texas this method has been used for as long as I can remember. It will fool geese. I wish I could get a nickel for every goose that was taken this way.

Watch for garage sales with decoys for sale.... A friend of mine got a huge deal on a dozen g&h goose and swan floaters. He got 14 decoys in good condition for like 8 bucks, some kid was selling them.

Also, for a blind, get yourself some chicken wire, 4 posts that are proly 3 feet high, and wrap the wire all around the 4 posts so it makes like a box, but then cut one side so you can walk into it.... you can stuff hay, limbs, grass, leaves, and anything with nature into that wire, and then set up on a bank or a tree line or a field line or something. Good luck.

Back