help new reloaders

The heavier bullets normal have a higher ballistic cooefiecient, that is if they have the same nose design as the ligher bullets. Sierra Match Kings are likely the best there are, especially with the heavier weight bullets.

yotenewbie:

Well, MT is great coyote country; the 90 gr. bullets will have the edge on accuracy/wind drift on very long shots as its ballistic coefficient (BC) and sectional density (SD) are better than the 75 grain.

I loaded the 75 gr. more as it was faster, more explosive, and less apt to ricochet on groundhogs here in the midwest. So, that weight bullet does have some "best" attributes there...

The MT pale coyote pelts can be quite valuable on the fur market, so the 90 gr. will be less explosive on pelts, although at long range the 75 HP may also do well as it slows down at longer ranges.

My post numbers are not indicative of anything knowledgeable. Enjoy your 25/06.

Half Cripple:

I never tried the MatchKings, but I am sure they are excellent performing bullets.

What the 25/06 really needs is some 125-130 grain, non-copper, non-VLD hunting bullets to further boost its BC and SD numbers[think Nosler Partition in those weights]. The minimal loss in velocity will be outweighed by its even greater versatility than it already has...

Guess the demand is not there to make a market....

Scanned through the topic and might have missed this but, if I did, it won't hurt to reiterate.

Some powders have the same number or similar names. BE SURE you pick the right powder from the book. H4895 is not IMR4895 (close but not the same). Clay's is not Universal Clays nor is it International Clay's. They are 3 different powders with different burning characteristics. 8208M is not 8208XBR. There are many other examples, but you get the idea.

Just purchased some Hornady V-Max 35gr 22-250 bullets. According to Hogdon Data...the C.O.L should be set to 2.35. This is not possible because of the short bullet length. If I set the bullet on top of the brass..not seated..it measures 2.34. Suggestions?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Crowsniper.17HMRJust purchased some Hornady V-Max 35gr 22-250 bullets. According to Hogdon Data...the C.O.L should be set to 2.35. This is not possible because of the short bullet length. If I set the bullet on top of the brass..not seated..it measures 2.34. Suggestions?

Ya know, if there ain't a law forbidding the loading of a 35 grain bullet in a 22-250 case, there should be! I don't think that bullet was ever designed for a 22-250. Good grief.

Did you really find reloading data for that particular bullet in a 22-250?

I just noticed you changed the title/subject line of the thread.

There was another guy here recently that was fond of doing that. It didn't go over very well for him. You might not wanna do that anymore.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesI just noticed you changed the title/subject line of the thread.

There was another guy here recently that was fond of doing that. It didn't go over very well for him. You might not wanna do that anymore.

Well...."if" I did it....which I didn't mean to...or have any reason to good grief. People want information and you are worried about subject lines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Crowsniper.17HMRJust purchased some Hornady V-Max 35gr 22-250 bullets. According to Hogdon Data...the C.O.L should be set to 2.35. This is not possible because of the short bullet length. If I set the bullet on top of the brass..not seated..it measures 2.34. Suggestions?

Just wanted to do an update....Shot this group today from my truck @ 100 yards. The bench was my mirror....seems they will be ok.

Target.jpg

Whew, just read all 10 pages of this. Great info from all. While reading other than Safety being foremost. The other thing I seen a lot of was DO NOT RELOAD for others. I understand the reasoning and the liabilities. But if you load a load with Factory specs what is the difference. I mean here in Fla you go to a Gun Show and there are several guys selling loads of reloads in baggies. How are they getting around the fact that they aren't working up a load for a specific gun. Just wondering.

wow what a great thread .thanks guys.i am going start reloading soon.i am doing alot of reading now to make sure its for me.When working up a load, starting low to higher.how much powder should be added ?

Resizing Cases For Optimal Headspace and Chambering

If you want to monitor your case stretch from head to shoulder (headspace) for optimal resizing invest in an RCBS Precision Mic to measure the before/after sizing headspace (RCBS # 88304 for the .223) MSRP $64.95.

There is a SAMMI headspace range [maximum and minimum] established for all standard caliber chambers, and this gauge will measure how much you have set cartridge headspace back in resizing, ideally 1-2 thousandths maximum, to most closely approximate the headspace of your chamber while allowing the case dimension to chamber but have minimal "slop" (movement).

You can [by error] set the shoulder back too much i.e. under the minimum SAMMI range, and use of the Precision Mic will prevent that from happening (if read correctly) and will prevent the subsequent case separation above the head caused my going belowthe minimum SAAMI headspace limit.

An article on this issue and use of the RCBS Mic gauge in the March, 2012 Shooting Times, although it could have been written more clearly.

Hornady also sells a similar tool (a bit lower cost than the RCBS Mic) that works with the Stony Point system that mounts on your dial caliper.

With either tool, you can precisely measure your shoulder movement as you adjust your dies to obtain the setting you want i.e. 1-2 thousandths shoulder set-back.

All the above presumes your rifle's chamber was machined to SAMMI specs i.e. correctly to start with.

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong. I use to reload but not a lot. I remember that I always started like 75% of max and actually I never went up to max loads cause the 75%r,s shot great. ALso if memory serves me light loads can cause as much danger as over loading. And yes stay focused. I use to weigh my brass and seperate by weight and bullets and after loading I woul weight each cartridge. You might find one thats been double charged with powder and the weight will give it away.
Daryl P.

You're right about under loading with the wrong powder, Ernest.
Although the exact mechanism which causes detonation hasn't been identified, to my knowledge, there is sufficient correlation to raise a red flag.

There are powders that can be used for reduced loads, but they are caliber specific and can be found at Hodgdon's web site.
Trailboss is an exception and can be used in a wide variety of calibers.

Quote:How are they getting around the fact that they aren't working up a load for a specific gun. Just wondering.

It's buyer beware. You don't know what powder or primer they're using. You have no idea how it will perform in your gun. IMO, you're buying a pig in a poke. I won't do it.

I learned the hard way. After i built my AR I hand loaded some once fired brass that i bought online. I noticed that some of the rounds would not chamber correctly. I did some reading and found out that you MUST use small base dies with auto loaders and i was using a standerd one that we use on our bolt rifles oops! I have since corrected the problem it would have been helpfull if i would have read into it more. Lesson Learned

Originally Posted By: get2callinI learned the hard way. After i built my AR I hand loaded some once fired brass that i bought online. I noticed that some of the rounds would not chamber correctly. I did some reading and found out that you MUST use small base dies with auto loaders and i was using a standerd one that we use on our bolt rifles oops! I have since corrected the problem it would have been helpfull if i would have read into it more. Lesson Learned

So not true!

This may be a stupid question but here goes anyway. I have used up my first pound of RL22 in some 7mm rounds and love the powder. When I go to buy some more should I be concerned at all about the new powder having the same characteristics as the powder I just used? In other words should I back off a grain or so just to be safe or can I continue to load as I have been?

Back