Baiting

David your starting to Scare Me!!!!!! LOL
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jkrugerThanks Tom.
scalloper, 4 in 8 days thats fantastic! You really have a hot spot.
I agree , fox would be afraid of that much yote activity.
The fox were comming steady last Feb-Apr. I only shot 1 fox then just watched the others.

6mm-06
I cut a shooting lane threw the woods behind my home at 71 yds
PC310019.jpg

Then I dumped 1 55gal barrel of animal parts from a butcher shop in the opening.
PC310020.jpg

I set up a Chamberlyn wireless alarm to inform me when there is a animal at the bait
PC310022.jpg

PC310023.jpg

I have a XLR 250 Kill light that I bought from Boondocks and I have that mounted to my AR-5.56
The coyotes and Foxes never seem to get spooked from the light at all.
Here are some unlucky criters from last winter
Baitpilefoodplot045.jpg

0201112345a95208708.jpg

P2070053.jpg

P2200107.jpg

P2200106.jpg

P2220109.jpg

url]
I shot these two 2 min apart. I saw two coyotes in the scope so I shot what I thought was the female first and droped it,then sat and waited. 2 min later the male came right in sniffing the female. I laied him to rest beside her.
url]

url]

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Sat this afternoon for a while, sun was out and 40 degrees outside, counted 25 ravens on the bait pile, will have to refresh the bait tomorrow, they are pigs when it comes to free food. nice job scalloper
blind005.jpg

Last edited:

Hey Jeff, don't be scared. We rednecks are really harmless. However, I do recognize that my PVC pipe, ie sewer pipe, does somewhat resemble a gernade launcher.

Scalloper, great photos and setup. Even though the distance is relatively close to your home, it seems to pay off rather well. My site is 60 yards from the cabin, but seems the coyotes are very nervous, and they don't always come to the bait every night, making it really hard to be there at the right time.

DannyK, you have a really good looking place to hunt. It looks pretty remote there. Do you have a finished photo of your shooting cabin? I know you posted one earlier but just curious if you have a new one, especially in the snow. I'd like to see it again just to keep things up-to-date.

You know, when this thread first got started, some elites probably thought there was very little interest in baiting, and probably looked down on those of us who hunt that way. Maybe this forum has helped some get down off their high horse and recognize that one size doesn't fit all. In the East we may have to do things a bit different in order to be successful. Even baiting is not as easy as it seems. I haven't taken a single coyote from my bait site though I have devoted a lot of effort to it.

My trip out West this past October had me shaking my head in disbelief at the sheer amount of coyotes, and the ones that seemed to come to the call so easy as if lambs to slaughter. Those of us who live and hunt in the East recognize that things here are just different. I wish I could hunt coyotes as easy as in the West, but that's just dreaming.

I am really enjoying this thread, meeting you guys and seeing how you do things. I've borrowed a lot of techniques and ideas from you guys too, even if you did turn me into a blazing redneck. It's been a lot of fun.

Here are photos of one of the elusives, doing what he does best - working the bait over and avoiding me. In the one photo he is growling at something, not sure what. I first thought he may have been chewing on some bait, but when viewing the full-size photo it is clear he is growling.

Coyote44.jpg

Coyote48.jpg

very nice pics 6mm , thanks for sharing your expiriences with us. Calling is different, and difficult here in the east for many reasons, which has steered me toward alternative methods.

That is sweet, DannyK. Great blind, good visibility and just down-right comfortable looking. I love that woodsey look. Nice photo too, blue sky and all. Just curious, what are the dimensions of it?

You certainly have some snow up your way. This is one of the mildest winters I can recall here. We have had so much rain and wind that it's been difficult to find a good time to hunt, as well as the coyotes not hitting the bait when I do have an opportunity.

David, the blind is 8 X 8 and 7' high tapering to 6'6". Were at least 24 inches below the long term average for snowfall so far this winter.

Great photos DannyK. Beautiful country too.

Looks like you have a wood burner in your cabin. Any photos of it? Did you run the pipe through the top or out the side wall? I see the pipe sticking up from it in the photo.

I have considered putting a small stove in mine. My building is an 8x12 and it wouldn't take much of a heater. Anxious to see how you did yours.

What kind of red lights do you have?

How high up is the floor from ground level?

I'm full of questions, but just goes to show that I love your hunting cabin.

David

David, the pipe goes straight up from the stove through the roof, there is no insulation in the shack but the floor is carpeted for noise, at some time we may insulate, but the stove keeps the place comfortable, takes about 45 minutes to get it into the mid 60's from around zero. The lights are primos scope mount lights that use the small 6 volt belt pack, the kill light I have on my 17 is much better at the distance to the bait pile. Wish we could use center fire for night time but we are limited to rimfire or shotguns with no buckshot or slugs. The floor is about eight to ten feet from the ground
scaffoldblind005.jpg

Very interesting tread guys. I thought i would give it a try. I froze some deer meat mixed with a little dog food in a 5gal bucket.Then put it out Friday. I also put a black flash camera watching it. The first night something fox or yote not sure which came by. So i put a black flash extender on the camera. If it comes back it should light it up better. I placed my bait 150yds from my box blind. I have time after work to hunt it just before dark. I called before i put out the bait had them howling but a no show. I have seen them deer hunting and hear them from time to time. So there around some where. I only have 60 acres behind the house. So they wont stand much calling.

Back