Baiting

I've had a coyote hitting the bait for some time now, but it doesn't come every night. Sometimes it goes two or three days, sometimes longer and then suddenly it's back. Very difficult to hunt that way. I can't sit at the cabin all the time and have to choose my days when I'm available and when the weather cooperates, which makes it even more difficult. The stinker keeps coming also, but is more regular.

Coyote36.jpg

Skunk09.jpg

If you take your 4 wheeler and drag a deer carcass around your land/acerage (make a wide loop)really really helps. It will catch the attention of any predator even if they are simply just passing through. It really works for me. I make a mile loop around my property...they usually hit my path and follow it to the pile...they might not eat on it the first time but it catches their attention and they will remember the food stash is there for the future.

Aacider85 - most definitely! I've never shot one that didn't. I've heard that a neck, ie spine shot will keep them from releasing the spray, not sure if that's true or not, but definitely would require some precise shooting.

As for my way of thinking, taking out skunks aids turkeys as well as other wildlife. I have also read that skunks are now the #1 carrier of rabies, surpassing the raccoon. Again, not sure that information is correct, but I did read it in a publication online.

I would like to see Virginia reclassify the skunk to a nuisance species and not a furbearer of which it is currently listed. That would allow it to be baited. I'm sure there aren't so many skunk hunters out there as to decimate the population, but would allow those of us who would like to hunt them a bit more, an opportunity to help control their numbers.

Skunk essence is an attractent to predators and is used in many call lures for trapping. If a fox or coyote sees a skunk in the meadow alive...they will be all over them. They do eat them and also love to roll around iin them...much likes dogs like to roll in other smelly stuff sometimes. Shoot em and leave them if its by your bait pile. It will only help.

I just saw two red fox harassing a small stinker last Thursday. I tried to get a shot on the reds, but between the watering eyes from the 35mph winds and 20° ambient temps, I couldn't make a good shot. I did chase down and dispatch the skunk. I rarely have any skunks left alone when I remove them from my traps. I usually find them chewed out or completely carried off by fox and coyotes. It's like candy to them for some reason. Many of the fox and coyotes I've been around here even have a sweet, musky, skunky smell. You need to catch him away from the pile and snipe him. They love the pre-dawn times here from about 4am to just before daylight. Tie a rope around his leg and drag him with your ATV back to the bait set. He won't last long there with Wiley. Have any of you guys tried trapping urines or gland at your sets? It might help if they think there is competition.

I have heard Beaver carcesses make extremely good coyote bait. What can you guys tell me about this? I have a friend who is having lots of Beaver problems on his farm. Thinking maybe I can help him out as well as myself! Thanks in advance for your help.

I trapped fourteen beavers this year and they are better than a deer. At one point I had three different bait piles that I couldn't keep filled and it was all beaver and muskrat carcasses. I finally caught my first coyote in a trap on the same property as I have been baiting them. It was in a different area because you can't place a trap within 30 feet of exposed bait. Beaver is by far the best predator bait no matter what the predator a lot of guys use it for cat trapping as well.

I broke down and put out some dead calves lash weekend, no visitors yet. I was going to make this a calling only year, but I love smacking them coyotes any way I can.

Beaver is a really good bait also. Canines are attracted to castor and I use it in alot of my call lures. Works good on cats and all other predators.

about 5 years ago, the farm i hunt had a baby goat die. I took it and placed it in the woods on a 4 wheeler trail along with a camera and got these.

COYOTES007.jpg

COYOTES006.jpg

COYOTES005.jpg

COYOTES004.jpg

With that high end AR you got you should be able to take out a skunk spine 6mm06!
laugh.gif
I have also heard that the skunks are huge carriers of rabies. I imagine that they will change their classification eventually. They are everywhere and starting to eat my neighbor's eggs/chicks. Once they become a big enough pain in the butt they will change it, I'm sure.

I wish I had know about this beaver bait. I have a pond that was getting destroyed by beavers and we took about 20-25 over a couple of years (Game Warden approved, with Damage Permit of course). They haven't been back in years now.

ARCOREY, 35 mph wind and 20 degree temps are no excuse! Toughen up soldier
wink.gif

Well after i shot the my first coyote off the bait they had not been back but we got some snow and it has been in the teens and singles and now they are back.
PICT0429.jpg

Yes, they do like dogfood. I thought you might like this 30 sec. video clip from back in October before I shot all my coyotes down too low. As you can see, they'll eat right out of a food bucket and aren't afraid of the flashes from an old game camera taking pictures.

Back