6x45 Load data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Originally Posted By: pcammoI am compiling a load book for the 6x45. Currently, I have 945 loads for everything from 55gr bullets up to 100gr bullets. If you will share with me your load data, I will include it in the book. I will then post the book here. If you wish to help out, please include as much information as possible about the load and firearm. Thanks,
John

John,

If you have access to Handloader magazines, I wrote a feature article on the 6X45. The name of the article is Kimber's 6X45 - A Sensible Wildcat and it was published in Handloader Issue 131, January-February 1988, pages 48 to 52.

I assure you that I'm one of the honest gunwriters, one who actually shoots. All of the data I listed in the article was carefully developed at the range and it was safe in the three rifles I borrowed from Kimber of Oregon. One of the rifles shot so danged well that I bought it.

My 6X45 article was re-printed in that huge and wonderful book by Wolfe Publishing, Wildcat Cartridges - Volume II. It appears in its full published version on pages 857 to 859.

Interestingly enough, Wolfe Publishing screwed all of their writers when publishing Wildcat Cartridges - Volume II. We sell "first publishing rights" to our articles and if the piece is re-printed, the publisher is lawfully obliged to pay for any subsequent publishing. Wolfe absolutely did not pay for re-publishing. That was about the last time I trusted an editor.

If you are unsuccessful in finding my 6X45 article, just ask and and give me your physical address; I'll send you an autographed hard-copy by snail mail, with my total compliments.

Good luck with the load book on this fabulous cartridge.

Best wishes,

Steve Timm

Steve I'd be willing to buy a copy to check out your load data. Iv'e been trying different loads about every weekend for the past few months.

Originally Posted By: vahunterSteve I'd be willing to buy a copy to check out your load data. Iv'e been trying different loads about every weekend for the past few months.

Send me a PM with your physical address and I'll get it right out. No prob.

Steve

I was looking over version 1.3 and im just curious whats up with the yellow ones? Are those reliable loads or just speculation?

Thanks guys!

I think there is an explanation on the first page of the document and IIRC it is interpolated data.

By the way I have some limited data for the 6X45 with the new AR Comp powder that I worked up if someone is interested.

Last edited:
Rather than start a whole new thread, I'll try here first. Anyone calculate the trajectory of this caliber? I've googled but never found much.

^ that's gonna depend completely on the load.... Find which bullet you're interested in and then google "free ballistics calculator".

The 55gr NBT will be very different from a 100gr SP...

Venatic- thanks for the info!

anyone tried the new CBE223 powder yet???? got the powder but no range time yet--thanks--should work well--

Originally Posted By: venaticI think there is an explanation on the first page of the document and IIRC it is interpolated data.

By the way I have some limited data for the 6X45 with the new AR Comp powder that I worked up if someone is interested.

Very interested in your data as I am a big fan of AR Comp in my 223. Currently considering the 6mmx45

Originally Posted By: JOKERanyone tried the new CBE223 powder yet???? got the powder but no range time yet--thanks--should work well--

I have now!
I loaded up to 29.5 gr with two different 75gr Bullets and fired in two guns.
The first was a DTech 18 inch barreled 1/12 twist and the speed averaged 2938fps and it shot 5 shots into .968 with 3 shots under 1/2 inch with a hornady hp.

The next load was the same but with the 75gr Vmax and the gun was a 24 inch barreled Cooper. Speed averaged 3093fps and the 5 shots was .605.

These loads looked like lower pressure than my current loads for each gun but with equal or better velocity.
Looks very promising and I would suggest using BLC-2 data and work up.

Originally Posted By: KillmoredogsOriginally Posted By: venaticI think there is an explanation on the first page of the document and IIRC it is interpolated data.

Very interested in your data as I am a big fan of AR Comp in my 223. Currently considering the 6mmx45

I used 25.0 gr and the load was mild and pretty slow 2700fps with 70gr bullets but shot very well.

Another nice day at the range with the 6x45 (my back deck).

range1.jpg

range2.jpg

range3.jpg

range4.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the process I used for the HBN coating of the bullets in the version 5 guide:

Step 1: Wash the bullets (about 250 6mm bullets) in acetone.
HBN1.jpg

Step 2: Place the bullets and impact media (1.5 lbs #B steel shot) in metal pan.
HBN2.jpg

Step 3: Heat the bullets and impact media @ 240°F for 20 min.
HBN3.jpg

Step 4: Plate the bullets for 2 hours (1 hour 15 min. for Sierra Blitz), adding approximately 250mg 7 micron HBN directly to the tumbler.
HBN4.jpg

Step 5: Remove the bullets from the media.
HBN5.jpg

Step 6: Give the bullets a quick polish with a towel or old T-shirt. You can also place the bullets back in the tumbler with old newspaper or cloth strips for a real shine. Personally, I don't think the prairie dogs can tell how shiny the bullets are.
HBN6.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pcammo

Step 4: Plate the bullets for 2 hours (1 hour 15 min. for Sierra Blitz), adding approximately 250mg 7 μm HBN directly to the tumbler.

Please explain what this means.

Originally Posted By: pcammo

"Step 4: Plate the bullets for 2 hours (1 hour 15 min. for Sierra Blitz), adding approximately 250mg HBN directly to the tumbler."

Why is there a different time for the Sierra BlitzKing??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back