Baiting

David here is another picture of a second shooting window out of the shack with my AR set up on sand bags.
AR.jpg

That is really neat, DannyK. My mind has been racing lately with trying to picture what might work for my setup. The scope and illuminator pose a bit of a problem, but surely there is something that would be rigid enough to fit over them and allow for a setup like yours. That foam is great and offers a very good seal to keep heat in.

My window is 3 feet x 3 feet, but naturally only about half of it would be open. If I can come up with something to extend from the scope and illuminator through the foam, then the rest of the window would not be a problem.

Right now, as I have my setup, it's not too bad. The opening is small and even though it is open to the outside air, the heater kept things pretty comfortable. Of course, the temp was in the mid to upper 30's, so it might make a difference when the temps get down to the 20's. Sooner or later hopefully an idea will emerge.

For your rifle and scope, you have a great setup. I really appreciate you sharing that idea.

gobblergetter

I was told that Maryland DNR released some coyotes a few years ago. Is that true? I was in the Chestertown area 4-5 years and guys told me there were none there.

Just hung my first bait station this weekend. Used a wire cage wrapped around a tree trunk with some deer meat and then smothered some of that Predator Pile stuff on it. Stunk to high heaven, but I'm looking forward to hunting over it. I can't wait until it gets cold enough here in Ohio to make a batisicle.

Scalloper- I heard that rumor too, but I'm not sure it is true. I wouldn't doubt it that they have tried to ( in ways) decrease the deer population across the state.

It is funny, I started reading this topic this afternoon and have continued for most of the day. What started out a topic that no one would have any interest in has lasted over a years time with many good tips and awesome information. This is what the hunting "community" is all about no matter what sex, race or age everyone here is helping each other and doing so in a friendly manner. To bad everyday life wasnt like this. Thank you !! OH yeah, headin to the local meat market for some scraps on my next day off.

Well after two evenings of sitting in the shack with fresh snowfall and tracks all around the two track roads, nothing has showed up at the bait pile. Finally sometime thursday the ravens decended on the bait pile, I watched at least 20 ravens picking their way through the bait. I have coyote pictures on the game camera close to the bait but no hits. We have a storm coming in Sunday into monday with high winds and up to 8 inches of snow or so the weather guessers say, tonight may be the night.

My site has been pretty dry too, DannyK. Coyotes have been hitting the bait, but with no certain pattern or time.

Shortly after midnight early morning of the 28th, the "new" coyote showed up and ate some of the bait. It hadn't been to the bait since the 24th, then suddenly showed up on the 28th. It didn't return the following night, 29th, but early morning on the 30th, near the same time, something hit the bait, but the trail cameras (neither of them) didn't get photos. The flash camera got totally black photos indicating it had been tripped and the time. The camera with infrared didn't get anything, but the batteries are weak in that one. The bait is gone, including the larger piece I had wired down, so something got it but I don't know what. The bait was still there the morning of the 29th since a hawk was captured feeding.

My trail cameras have been somewhat disappointing while at the same time a lot of joy. Sometimes they take fantastic photos, and other times they either miss the game totally or take black or pink photos. I have since placed two trail cameras on the post in order to hopefully get some idea of what is going on, but neither got the bait-stealing event. So many times it happens that one camera has captured an event when the other one didn't respond, and vice versa.

If someone would invent a trail camera that worked, 100% of the time, or even near it, for an affordable cost, they could make a fortune once reviews got out. Does anyone have a trail camera that seems to work near all the time?

Here is an example of a great photo. The camera is set for flash and does a great job - WHEN it takes photos. The black photo is from the same camera two nights later. Batteries are good - I have a large external battery pack hooked to it and it shows 100% full charge.

Coyote18.jpg

Hawk-2.jpg

BlackPhoto.jpg

Well got my first today for the season but he had the mange
These eastern yotes are smart fellas he came out on the power line and the minute he hit my two day old track he ran like someone stuck a needle in his eye back in the woods.
But he made the mistake and crossed the powerline another 75yds farther away where I had not walked and left a trail.
I have seen them do this many times before when we have snow to see tracks.
They sure have a good nose.

Have any of u guys found a way to keep the ravens off the bait pile but not make it spookie for the coyotes.
Most of the time all my bait get devoured by the ravens before the coyotes return on their circuit which in my area can be three weeks.

Sat last night until 7 pm and this morning I was in the blind at 6 am, sat until 8:30, nothing but ravens. The blind was warm inside with a temp of 15 outside and the sunrise was nice.
Scaffoldblindinthemorning012.jpg

Scaffoldblindinthemorning011.jpg

very nice. I have head a bait out for a couple of weeks now. The coyotes are starting to hit it now and the other night i had 3 hit it at the same time. Here are acouple pics. I have had crows at my bait to and with the meatcycle the crows will pic at it but have nothing to carry off. In the pic with the three coyotes one is at the bait and the other to are back in the woods you can see where ones looking over the others back.
PICT0173.jpg

PICT0200.jpg

Last edited:

Looks pretty thick at your bait site, Predhunter, but you certainly have the yotes about. Where is your shooting position and how far? Just curious and like to see what others are doing.

My shooting position is to the right of the pic up a skider trail and the bait is 60 yards away. here is a pic looking down the skider trail didnt have the bait out in the pic yet.
1026111133a.jpg

Last edited:
Hi
This picture got e-mail to my phone about 3or 4 minutes after the picture was taken. I don't think they like to share. The bait is about a mile form my house. I will get them at some point.
great thread.

16qc0l.jpg

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterScalloper- I heard that rumor too, but I'm not sure it is true. I wouldn't doubt it that they have tried to ( in ways) decrease the deer population across the state.
I will be in your neck of the woods(Chestertown) on thursday to help decrease the deer numbers too
thumbup.gif

I have had coyotes at my bait behind my home 4 nights last week. I have been trapping and have beaver,muskrat and otter for bait. With the warm temps the coyotes run in and set off my alarm but drag off the bait before I can get them in my scope. Friday night they were in 4 different times. I have 3 more beaver to put out,this time I am staking them down. But its going to be another free meal as I will be away until sunday.
I did not have this trouble last year at all as the bait froze in a pile. But at least they are coming back.

Originally Posted By: timmerHi
This picture got e-mail to my phone about 3or 4 minutes after the picture was taken. I don't think they like to share. The bait is about a mile form my house. I will get them at some point.
great thread.

16qc0l.jpg

Nice pictures. That must be a decent game camera as some dont work well in colder temps.

Have any of u guys found a way to keep the ravens off the bait pile but not make it spookie for the coyotes.
Most of the time all my bait gets devoured by the ravens before the coyotes return on their circuit which in my area can be three weeks.

This is a repost of a question I posted a few days ago and still wondering if anyone else has this problem.

Back