Baiting

6mm06, yes it is. Sure worked beyond my wildest imagination, but I didn't get the one that counted. I would trade all 13 for #14 as you well know.

6mm06, I'm surprised you aren't over run with them! The reports we get in central VA is that Southwest VA is swarmed with yotes. Are there any livestock near you?

When I get my place all situated you can come share my blind too. I might have more coyotes running around than you do?? It sure sounds like I've got a bunch out there talking to each other every night.

Aacider, Yes, we do have cattle present at various times, but none right now. Two winters ago I took a coyote that was feeding on a dead calf. Don't know if the calf was still born or if the coyotes got it. The guy who runs cattle on our place came to see me one moring saying there were two dead calves and two coyotes on them. I got my stuff together and went to the farm, set up overlooking the kill, and within 45 minutes killed one coyote. I never did see the other one.

Coyote2-27-101.jpg

Coyote2-27-102.jpg

DoubleUP, Yes I know about #14 and I feel your pain. I would feel the same way.

Well, we do have coyotes here, maybe more than I know. I hear from people all the time who are hearing or seeing them. As to our farm, I have taken a few there over the last few years.

Last winter I had trail camera photos of just one coyote regularly coming to the bait. That surprised me since I figured over the course of the winter that there would be more than one. I could tell by the markings on his back so knew him with each photo.

This year I have had three visit, two of which I have posted photos of just recently. They look very similar in appearance. Last week a new one arrived on the scene.

This is the latest coyote.

Coyote10.jpg

Coyote16.jpg

The problem I have is they are here today and gone tomorrow. There is no set pattern to when they come to the bait, regardless of the bait or amount of bait present. Until some sort of patterned schedule exists, I could wait forever for a one-chance opportunity that may or may not come. Eventually, hopefully it will all come together.

My desire is to get one with the night vision outfit and get it on video. That's what I'm working toward.

I would love to see that video! Maybe there is a whole pack of those suckers running around your place and something is spooking them? Who knows... they are skittish dogs for sure.

Does any of the "baiting" regulars ever try and call them in? My understanding is that they tend to skate the edge of their territory to keep other packs away. Maybe (6mm06) your place is in the middle of their territory. Also, I could be totally wrong lol.

Something I always did when I used to hunt over bait was take a whole deer or calf...or maybe 2 or 3 beaver carcasses (open them up so you get an optimal scent dispersal)and drag them behind my 4 wheeler. I made the drag around the property in a wide pattern ending at the bait pile. I did this once a week to freshen it up. It's kind of like trolling for fish. It does help draw in new game that may be just passing through the area and perhaps miss the bait pile....this is a heck op a post by the way...some good reading.

Aacider85, If I am fortunate enough to get a coyote on video, I will post it on YouTube with a link here. Wish me luck. I have called a few coyotes on the farm and in the local area. I've tried calling the farm and haven't taken any coyotes there within the last two or three years, yet I know they are around.

I was told that some of the local coon hunters carry a predator call at night when they are chasing raccoons, and blow on it for coyotes. I think some of the coyotes here are educated, but I'm sure not all are. Still it's tough going with calling them here locally. That's why I got more into baiting.

This past October I traveled to New Mexico and Arizona for some coyote hunting. I was amazed first at the sheer number of coyotes out there vs. here, and I was equally amazed that coyotes came to the call as often as they did. It just doesn't happen that way here. I wish it did, but it's just a different ballgame between east and west, and for various reasons.

Dwilson, that's a good idea you have there. Maybe I need to give that a try.

Here's a bit of an update to my hunting shack. I put a blanket over the window (a good suggestion by DoubleUp) that really helps keep the heat in and also cuts down on a coyote seeing movement within the cabin. I cut out a small hole for the rifle and scope to go through, offering enough visibility and also for the illuminator sitting on top of the scope to have clearance. While the cut isn't contoured to be pleasing to the eye, it is functional. I have since cut out a very small opening for the video camera lens to look out. I used a folding table and Caldwell shooting bag to rest the rifle, so the rifle is always in the "ready" position.

A few nights ago I spent the entire night at the cabin. Temps were in the mid 30's, and I stayed very warm even with the window open all night. The heater is a 10,000 BTU propane heater with thermostat and it heats the 8x12 building quite well.

01-9.jpg

02-8.jpg

03-8.jpg

04-6.jpg

The cabin is still a work in progress. I have the back wall still to insulate, and also need to put OSB over the front half of the wall that is insulated. The side walls are already completed as is the ceiling. I also hope to extend my porch a bit, something that isn't necessary for shooting coyotes, but will give me a larger area to lay back and be a true hillbilly in the summer months. I also hope to put a roof over the porch at some point in time. Man, this coyote hunting is getting expensive.

Talk about "Casa de Vance". If you make it much nicer the family is going to think you're leaving them. This summer I can see a cooler and a grill on that porch. Project "pimp my bait station" is coming along very nicely, I'm jealous
thumbup1.gif

Yea, I call it my "pouting house." Problem is, everyone wants to pout with me.

A cooler has already visited, and a grill will once the porch is extended. I did build up a fire down the hill in the "yard" back in the summer. Wife and son joined me for a hot dog roast.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06

Can you blame them? That is one cool man cave. My man cave is too close to the wife and I can't shoot out of the windows without going to jail
shocked.gif

One [beeep] of a set up you have there 6mm06!

I lived in Phoenix for a brief period of time and have traveled all over the western part of the country. The number of coyotes out there is staggering. I would see them in the parks in downtown Phoenix some times. They are as common road kill over there as deer are here.

I live on 175 acres but unfortunately only about 50 of it is clear. The nice thing is that in the middle of the fields is a pretty good hill. I am going to build a "tree stand" about 25 feet tall with 360 degree view. I have the potential to have several different bait piles in some deep hollows where the wind doesn't get to very often. There will be no way for me to run power to it but I should be able to get a gas heater in there.

Spending thousands of dollars on my tree stand (wood is ex-pen-sive) may be putting the carriage before the horse considering that my varmint rifle is in pieces right now and needs to be built!
laugh.gif
A gunsmith buddy of mine built a 22-250 off of a Mauser action for his girlfriend but she never shot it so he sold it to me for a steal. The problem is, she likes shiny guns so he polished that thing to a mirror shine. I have to take it to get Duracoated (I'm thinking Coyote Brown, no irony intended) and restock it. I've already got optics for it and a nice bipod. I've been thinking about a kill light for it but some of the shots I would be taking are 250 yards or more and I don't think a gun mounted light will illuminate that far.

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYOriginally Posted By: 6mm06

Can you blame them? That is one cool man cave. My man cave is too close to the wife and I can't shoot out of the windows without going to jail
shocked.gif

I just looked at your website Corey. What rifle is that barrel in your for sale section for? Also, if you need help knocking out those Shenandoah Groundhogs give me a shout. I seem to have over killed them here and now the little buggers are gone for good.

David, this is my shooting window heat saver, foam 1" thick with a star burst cut into it, rifle set on sand bags pushed through the spider web mostly seals up the hole, one thing that I did was make a long sun shade so less of the gun and scope are protruding out of the window
rightshootingwindow.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Aacider85I just looked at your website Corey. What rifle is that barrel in your for sale section for? Also, if you need help knocking out those Shenandoah Groundhogs give me a shout. I seem to have over killed them here and now the little buggers are gone for good.

I put the barrel pictures on there to use my site instead of photobucket to host pictures. The bucket has been quirky lately. It's my Fox Ridge outfitters custom 223rem T/C Contender carbine barrel 23" matte finish. I use to use it all the time for fox and coyotes in my thumbhole carbine setup, but I bought a Baikal combo gun that shoots 12ga. and 223rem and is just about as accurate as the T/C. I'm debating whether or not to sell it to fund a 17 caliber project.

The groundhog hunting oasis I've enjoyed over the last 5 years is a bitter sweet find. I can shoot all the groundhogs, fox, and coyotes I want there on this huge farm that I have exclusive permission to. The catch is I can't take guests or hunt anything else. The landowner is very particular about his place and I've managed to stay on his good side and keep access to it in the non-deer season part of the year. I was lucky enough to convince him to let David come and video me for the Shenandoah Groundhogs video, but that was as far as he let me take it, and my access to that farm was back on probation during that time period. I'd love to find a couple more farms that size with that many targets with lesser restrictions because I have a bunch of people I'd love to take groundhog hunting. I've never even told my own brother the location of this place and he's been after me for a while now
crazy.gif
It's a shame land is so hard to get.

Back to the baiting. I've got some busted deer shoulders and fat trimmings from deer season in my freezer to make me a baitcicle. I'm going to put them in a 5 gallon bucket of hot water and let the blood disperse then freeze it and dump it on a nearby farm. Hopefully I can get them on a pattern and keep them chewing on it for a while. I can't wait to put the XLR250 on the AR and sit over it.

Originally Posted By: Apke hunterAnyone got some tips for a noob. I got bait and a bait light but it's some homemade thing that my uncle made for something else. I was wondering if I need another light to shoot. Also do you leave the bait light on all the time even when your not hunting or turn it on only when your hunting. Thanks in advance.
There are a few guys in this area that have bait piles set up behind their home with a light that comes on at night. I have a bait pile behind my home as well,71 yds from my back door. I have a Chamberlyn wireless alarm and a 250 kill light. I shot 11 coyotes last winter and did not see any evidence where the light spooked any of them at all. Good luck.

A good freind of mine just called to say he has shot 3 coyotes on his bait sence the 16th. The one he got last week tipped the scales at 48 lbs. He has a light that lights his bait all night. I had the same set up but I thought I might do better with the kill light.
Tuesday morning at 3 am my alarm went off. I did not atempt to shoot the coyote because at this time I dont have my kill light. Its still in Texas,I was there hog hunting and left it and my luggage to be sent by mail so I could bring meat back on the plane. Sence the coyote got a free meal of 3 beaver and 2 rats,I am hoping he will return and bring some freinds

DannyK, that is one neat looking setup. You have one heck of a good idea there with that foam. Not sure if it will work with my outfit or not, since I have the night vision scope with the illuminator on top, but it might. Problem is that the scope and illuminator sets back into the cabin quite a bit and not near the window, so I would need some type of extension for them in order to make it work. I had considered earlier of some type of "sock" or something to wrap around the scope and illuminator and to keep everything in the cabin totally vision-free of any possible coyote at the bait, as well as to keep the cabin warmer. As you can see in the photo, the scope is a distance from the window. Do you have suggestions of what type of material to make a possible extension from?

I really like your idea. It's great to see what others are doing. This is indeed a fantastic post.

What type of foam did you use and where did you get it?

02-8.jpg

Aacider85,

I'm like you, I don't think the kill light will provide enough illumination for a long shot. I tried mine at 60 yards the other night to get an idea of what it is capable of. It worked ok at 60 yards, but at greater distances I don't feel confident enough to make a clean shot. Maybe it's just me and my particular light. Mine, at least in my opinion, is a darn good light for calling and shooting within reasonable ranges of less than 100 yards. It's not good for extended ranges and precise shooting.

Also, as to not having power to your tree stand, you might consider the battery pack like I use, the yellow one. Depending on what your needs are, the battery pack will power all the DC lights you would ever need, as well as pumping up an air bed and such. The one I got from Sportsman's Guide is one of the best purchases I have made in a long time. I had considered using a solar panel to power DC lights, but after getting this battery pack, I don't need a solar panel.

A propane heater is one good investment for comfort. Get one that has a thermostat and you're good to go. If your blind is not insulated, maybe get a larger heater with greater BTU. Mine is 10,000 BTU but I have considered using a higher one, maybe a 20,000 or even greater. As long as it has a thermostat, it wouldn't consume a great deal of propane. If I had it to do over, I would have got a larger unit - and may yet, depending on what type of weather comes my way. Snow and cold temps may require a more powerful heater, but being comfortable is what it's all about. I'm still in trial and error stage, and learning as I go.

6mm06,
I am a licensed electrician and I didn't even think about DC lights! Doh! I am so used to everything being AC haha.

I had thought about solar panels but their cost/power output ratio isn't good enough for me to consider them.

I was considering some motion sensor LED lights with small solar panels for the bait piles but I don't know if having the light come on every time they get near will spook the critters or not. Maybe with a red lens they would be more comfortable. As long as I have light where I am shooting I am in ok shape.

ARCOREY,
[beeep], that is a shame. But I don't blame the land owner at all. I don't let people come hunt my land ever unless I am with them. The real shame is that people are generally so untrustworthy that we can't allow some people to come utilize our land.

A buddy of mine made the mistake of letting one of his friends bring somebody on to his land and he ended up having to pick up a 6 pack of empty cans under the tree stand and now has a leaky trash can because the guy took a shot without knowing his backdrop.

I wonder if there is a way to reintroduce ground hogs to my place purely so that I can hunt them
laugh.gif
hahaha

David, I have a couple of differnt types of foam, polar foam comes to mind, its like 3 small layers sandwiched together. With the large window you are using it gets difficult, this is what I did when I was shooting out of the house with the same type of window. Take a piece of the OSB board, make it roughly the size of the open window and seal it all around with some of the weather stripping foam. Then you can put it in place and bump the sliding window up against it to hold it in place. Figure out how much of an actual opening you need for the equipment and cut your hole, I used the chunk of board that I cut out, added a couple of hinges and remounted it so it was like a small door, quiet and sealed up the hole, but I wasn't using a camera etc. so that worked for me. I hinged it on the outside so I just had to push it open when there were critters in the pile. Hope it gives you some ideas that may work for you. I made extensions for my kill light out of some old perscription bottles or out of some pvc pipe, same for my scope.

Last edited:
Back