Baiting

Hey Dannyk you posted about your 17HMR earlier. It sure does the job on Coons but I've yet to get a Coyote with mine yet. I have the same Savage 17HMR and its a little tack driver but does it do a good job on Coyotes?

Nothing been hitting the bait as of late, weve been down around zero for the last several nights but no takers. No vocals at all no matter who I talk to in the area. Took the atv and rode the roads in the area, no sign at all. Hope they show soon, even the ravens aren't visiting the pile.

We were talking of the same lack of activity and we came up with the notion that over that past several weeks they've eaten real well at all the deer hunter gut piles and found a few wounded ones too. So maybe it'll take a couple of weeks for them to get hungry. I'm going to put out a few baitsicles as a Christmas presant.

Great job folks, and some realy nice pictures. Just came in from hanging cameras and motion senors getting ready for the 16th. I put out some finger food the other day and no hits yet saved the bigger stuff for next Friday night.

Two nights ago one of the coyotes returned to the bait, but was very skiddish and kept looking at the cabin. I put out more bait yesterday evening and nothing hit it last night, not even the possum that was a nightly visitor. I guess there are just times when they don't respond, regardless. Maybe as 2 Card said, it may take a couple of weeks for them to get hungry, and maybe a bit of cold weather for a while too.

These photos are from two nights ago, a dark-colored coyote, looks pretty good to me. I'm just waiting and hoping for the opportunity.

Coyote08-1.jpg

Coyote09-1.jpg

Coyote07.jpg

Might wait for that moon to darken a little. I called off a good chance to go last night because it is so bright. It may be better in the next week or so. I love the dark colors in that coyote David.

Anyone got some tips for a noob. I got bait and a bait light but it's some homemade thing that my uncle made for something else. I was wondering if I need another light to shoot. Also do you leave the bait light on all the time even when your not hunting or turn it on only when your hunting. Thanks in advance.

Apke Hunter,

Check out HuntSports.com online. He talks about lights for hunting at night and of animals getting used to them. The problem I see with that, however, is that of battery drain. A few lights that illuminate well enough to see will drain a battery pretty quickly, so a large amp battery is needed and a source to recharge it if the lights will burn every night, all night, such as a solar panel.

A lot of guys use red lens lights to illuminate the area when an animal is present, and they have good results with that. For me, I keep thinking I want to be less intimidating to the coyotes and not put lights on them and perhaps have them get away or maybe wound one.

My outfit for now at least is night vision. I have a light setup but turn it on and off as needed. The light is not visible to the eye. A small gel cell battery will power the lights very well before needing a recharge since I only use them when needed. Time will tell if it will work well.

I like the idea of having lights come on at night via photo cell and remain on all night, and charge by day with a solar panel. The only problem with that is cost. A solar panel powerful enough to make that happen is not cheap, and a large amp battery would be needed, again not cheap. However, given those two items combined with good lights, it should produce good light necessary for making good shots.

I heard recently of one guy who baits underneath a street light and he has taken several coyotes. So, I guess animals do get used to the lights over time and don't pay much attention to them. Where I hunt on the family farm, there is no electricity, so everything has to be powered by battery.

Thanks 6mm06

My light is red and runs off a 12v battery. Got a couple laying around the farm so shouldn't be bad. I just want to be able to see something coming without having to scan and I will just be sitting 75yds away.

Nightvison is out of the question. Im in high school and don't have a lot of money any way. Deal Extreme seem to have some good lights for my gun any idea on which one i should get?

A lot of guys are using the XLR 250 Kill Light for spotting. I have one to mounted on an AR, but consider it more for calling and closer ranges. Maybe some others will chime in with some advice on that for you.

Awesome thread! I am just now getting into varmint hunting and was looking for this kind of information. Having read this thread for 53 pages I feel like I know you guys already! Haha. Good luck out there!

6mm06,
If you need some help in that awesome blind of yours, give me a call
smile.gif
Judging by the landscape in your pics you aren't too far from me!

Aacider85, I made a mistake in shooting too many coyotes at my baitsite. It has been a good while since I've had one on the bait now (3 weeks). I have a couple of trail cameras on the baitsite, and I believe it would really work best not to shoot again until I have pictures of at least a pair at the bait. That way if I leave one, it will be more likely to attract another.

I have pictures of as many as 5 at one time on the bait site. I shot 13 this fall on the site. I wish I hadn't got so carried away. Now I'm having to wait for others to expand into the area and find the bait. Right now it is a slow process.

I hope I will be able to contain myself if there are that many yotes running around at once! Fortunately, it is year round open season here so I won't be too rushed to get all my hunting in before season ends. I even have a couple of the local farmers talking about paying me on a per coyote basis. Gotta keep them cows alive.

Aacider85, actually I live in the Southwestern part of the state, quite a distance from you. But, Virginia is Virginia. Would gladly share the hunting seat in my blind.

DoubleUp, I'm still trying to get #1, but having a lot of fun in the process of it. Thirteen coyotes is a bunch to say the least. I know of only three that have visited my site.

Back