heavy traffic making foxes weary?

utah_1911

So I live out in farm country, about 500 yards from a large lake. I get many fox tracks in my fields, and I have harvested fox from my deck. So i know that they are out here. Once duck season opens up there is constant shooting going on down the road on the waters edge. I have some property that has been opened up to me near where these duck hunters are, but it is private so the fox haven't been harrassed. My question is do you think with all of the traffic and gunshots going on nearby the fox have ran off, or do you think they are accustomed to it and think nothing of it? Mind you these fox are within 5-30 acres of a home regardless.

depends on how much disturbance the foxes are actually getting from duck hunters. if they arent being harrased by them i dont think it would bother them much. if they are dodging bird shot on a regular basis i doubt they would stick around.

No answer to your question, but if you've ever been duck hunting you know there's guys tramping around the cattails even on the private side at least looking for cripples, if not setting up on that shoreline (here in Iowa if you're on the water it's technically legal, all water is public as long as you don't step foot on soil). Bring with that all the hoopla and noise of setting up decoys, dogs runnin around, and I think the shotgun blasts would be the least annoying thing to those fox. I would say yes it would make the fox shy. Try night hunting, if no spotlighting is allowed a full moon with snow on the ground will make it look like daylight.

Back