Tried my secret weapon today...

Bob .17

It was a beautiful 37 degrees today so i decided to go on a 2 hour hunt with my 10/22. i got a new scope so i thought i would get a few rabbits. got to one of my favorite rabbit spots and looked for tracks not much. so i walked a 1/2 mile in looking for rabbits took my secret hand call with me sounded a few notes and nothing. so i decided to sight in my new simmons scope on it. took 20 fun rounds at 70 yards and sighted it in just fine. so i walked behind the target facing in the woods and looked for tracks. saw rabbit, fox and saw cat tracks said another cat is here. i remember i slambbed my truck door a few times and probaly won't see or hear any thing because of the door slamms and had 20 shots fired, but still had the wind in my favor. so i said, ah, what the heck. walked down the trail 50 yards toward my truck and laid 5 to 7 more notes. and started to listen. And all of a sudden i got a answer back at 100 yards or so. first time. but then again i just got my secret weapon.

Now i am in sum thick woods (small jackpines) and bush country. (4 foot brush grass, (i call swamp grass.) then the critter cut down, his yards in the brush and was 70 yards or so. Now this critter would give a short bark and then a medium long howl. i have coyote dvds and this bark and howl was different. he made probaly a 100 barks and howls every 5 to 10 seconds apart. he didnot sound like a wolf. knowing i had a 22, ( looking for a fox or cat) i knew i was under gunned. this dog had a very deep howl. he stayed with me until i walked back to my truck. i said next time out comes the #4 buckshot.

My question is---- was this normal. And was this a wolf or big coyote... He sound Coyote to me... What do you think guys which one was it. you know coyote behavior more than me. He keeped his distance, but i didnot get on that call again cause i knew i was under gunned. Thank-You, for your opions, and i do carry a camera with me, when i have sumthing to take a picture of.
smile.gif

It was more than likely a coyote challenging you. We have had them do that here many times getting realy brave. I carry my 6-284 with me because you never know what might come to the call or attempt to make things bad for you. The 10/22 would have been enough medicine for him especially when you got a ten round magazine. You should go back and call this yote in and end his existance!

Believe it was a warning bark. I had one come through once doin that. He sounded like he had larengitis it was very raspy and hoarse. Had I not seen him I'd have swore it was big foot

Bob, I do believe you got busted and that was a coyote warning the community of your presence.

Sounds like a fun outing. I think male coyote as well. I have had the bark their heads off before. Wait a week or two and go get him. What is your secret call?

Good post Bob!

Hello SalemDawger,,,I was waiting for deer season to quite and yesterday was the last day and i had to wear blaze orange. this was my first time confronting a coyote with a call. i was waiting for deer season to be over. yes according to what i read from all your post and from the back of one of my call cards. it was a big old male coyote. he never broke cover in that swamp grass. so i didnot know what it was with that low voice bark and howl. he chased me all the way back to my truck in that swamp grass. Yah, he busted me.

Because you asked, my secret weapon is a snowshoe rabbit hand call---www.sceeryoutdoors.net---i had a hard time waiting for this call. the first one was stolen from the post office sum where they sent me another one which was good of them, but the whole thing took about 3 weeks. i couldn't wait to get it. i have tons of snowshoe in my area. a snowshoe rabbit sounds different than those other rabbits. a hard call to find. sounds really, really, really, good. thanks for asking.

And Yes, coyotes live among the wolves...

Last edited:
Hello doggin coyotes,,,Wolves don't bark and howl at you. They just walk up to you and stare at you. they have no fear of man. i bumped into wolves many of times.

No experience with wolves in Georgia, but some of our old male yotes weigh 50 pounds and have a very deep howl and bark. I've had yote bust me and do exactly what yours did, so for my money it was a yote.

Back