What happens to coyotes from WCCC?

SSharp

When I returned home from the World Coyote Calling Championships everyone wanted to know what happened to all of the dead coyotes. GREAT QUESTION!!! Thought I would share some pics just in case anyone else were wondering the same thing.

SDC12112.jpg

This is just some of what they started with. I saw two trailer loads head back to the skinning tables. It said in the rules that all coyotes brought in to the check-in were the property of the contest. Since it was hosted by the New Mexico Trappers Association, I guess they owned them all. So get to skinning!!!

DSC01292.jpg

These were some of the neatest skinning tables I have every seen. Clamps on one end to hold the back legs and a small winch with clamps on the other to help pull the hide over the carcass. There was a lot less knife work than I expected because the wench did most of the work after clearing the back legs and tail area. Man that coyote hide is some tough stuff. It amazed me how much pressure they could use on the winch without ripping the hide.

DSC01294.jpg

These guys were SUPER FAST at skinning. I don't know how many they skinned or how they were culling thru them, but by the end there were a lot of hides hanging on the fence. Just a little behind the scenes action from the 2011 World Coyote Calling Championships in Belen, NM.

DSC01290.jpg

The funds from the fur sales go into defending our trapping and hunting heritage via the NMTA. A very well cause. There was a furbuyer there to buy the green hides.

Man, there was some seriously primed up fur brought in. I would have killed to take a couple dozen home to put up.

Tony

I am still trying to find out the total number killed. It wasn't posted before I left check-in headed to the banquet. They didn't give us the total number there either. Tony did hear the final number?

My guess is there was around 300-350. There looked to be aboutt 50-60 teams that had 0 or 1. First and second place were out of staters. I bet most of the coyotes were killed in another state. We really don't have that many coyotes in NM.
wink.gif

Holly cow that's a lot of coyotes.
I did a average weight calculation of 25 lbs for that many yotes and came up with 5.5 ton of dead yotes. Woooow!!
Thanks Sharps for getting the finely tally.

Hey... that's me standing on the left hand side being a watcher....

That was a pile of dogs... all I could think of was.... Boy O Boy... I'm glad I don't have to skin all those dogs... but they did have it down to a science...

Back