Mil-Quad and Mil- Dot in FFP and BDC Reticles (added)

TXCOONDOG

Been reading about these type systems (Mil/Mil) in FFP and was wondering if these systems make good scopes for predator hunting or hunting in general ?

I've always used scopes with SFP (MOA) and have zero experience with FFP (TRUE MIL).

Last edited:
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: venaticI will let you know next week as I have a mil/mil ffp coming Monday.

That would be helpful and greatly appreciated too.

When varmints are on the run, I don't have time to dial in a 300 yd shot.

Also would like to hear about BDC type system with windage (windy days) hash marks too like Leupold® Varmint Hunter’s reticle, Burris's E-1, Bushnell DOA, Vortex, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: venaticI will let you know next week as I have a mil/mil ffp coming Monday.

Any updates that you would like to share
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: knockemdown
thumbup.gif

Details Dave, We need details
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

I just bought the FFP MIL/MIL and im really lovin it..

I've used a number of 2nd and 1st FP plane scopes for predator hunting and honestly have little preference for either over the other. The best optic i ever used on my AR was the little 3-9x PFI 22 Long Rifle Rapid Reticle scope for shots out to ~500 to 550 or so. Just recald. the optic to my trajectory--

IMG_0726-1.jpg

I like the ballistic reticles due to the more direct system of windage reference that can be referenced quickly, and then rereferenced when the coyote/s are on the move.

The Varmint Hunter's reticle is also great for quick apps. mostly. Buddy of mine made 5 or 6 1st shot kills with his on an AR-10 243 out to 650 yds, using it couple years back.

I also like Darrell Holland's HUMR in a 6.5-20x FFP optic, which basically has a .2 mil cald. turret as well, which i never use. 1st shot at a game animal was a 435-yd. kill on a sleeping coyote after doing an informal zeroing procedure on a 200-yd. rock--

HUMRDiagram.jpg

Used a couple TK Lee reticles as well but still prefer the tree reticle systems--

IMG_0732-1.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

Here's the dope on an Encore BDC reticle i have set up for a Sav. Striker 22-250 handgun that works well--

Reticles_BDC_Encore-1.jpg

Bushnell 3 MOA Ballistic reticle that was on an AR--

BushnellBallisticReticle-1.jpg

Have a NF NP-R1that's gonna be switched to a Velocity reticle soon. NP-R1's great for matching reticle to turret, reticle rangefinding, and measuring correction at distance, but the faster the application for a reticle at distance, the better for mobile game like coyotes. I rarely reticle-range coyotes, and don't calculate correction for follow-up shots ever on a coyote at long range--hence ballistic reticles CALIBRATED TO MY LOAD IN STD. CONDITIONS is my preference.

Several Ballistic Plex, TMR's, very complicated TK Lee's, mil-dots and others have accompanied me into the field as well.

Honestly if i had to pick 1 though it would be Leupold's VH reticle for it's flexibility. I like the reticle for fast accurate apps. and the 3-1.77 MOA windage stadia units along the horizontal axis for accurate windage application (as accurate as practically possible, that is) along with an elevation turret.

Back