Baiting

Started reading in this thread months back, and picked up lots of good info and tips.

Just wanted to pass this along. I have a couple of game cameras set up in my backyard. I caught coyotes eating pears off one of my trees. Actually have some shots of them pulling pears off the lower limbs. Anyway decided to bait them with dog food and table scraps. They are coming regularly now and I've also found out they love watermelon and cantalope scraps as well. Thanks to Boondock Outdoors and my new XLR-250 redlight, the population is taking a hit.

MDGC0092.jpg

MDGC0627.jpg

3 of that group of 4 coyotes in the picture have now moved on to an eternal resting place.

Last edited:
DoubleUp

Your right the XLR-250 kill light is a great tool for hunting coyotes for sure. I have watched many coyotes and fox and I have not seen where it has spooked any. A bait pile,wireless alarm,250 kill light and a quiet sliding window will get you a pile of coyotes in a year.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpStarted reading in this thread months back, and picked up lots of good info and tips.

Just wanted to pass this along. I have a couple of game cameras set up in my backyard. I caught coyotes eating pears off one of my trees. Actually have some shots of them pulling pears off the lower limbs. Anyway decided to bait them with dog food and table scraps. They are coming regularly now and I've also found out they love watermelon and cantalope scraps as well. Thanks to Boondock Outdoors and my new XLR-250 redlight, the population is taking a hit.

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/DoubleUp8/?action=view&current=MDGC0092.jpg

3 of that group of 4 coyotes in the picture have now moved on to an eternal resting place.

Pictures why no pictures.

Sorry guys, not too good with pictures. Must be my age. If you can see the picture you know the coyotes look better than I do.

PICT0047.jpg

Last edited:
Holly molly this is one long thread.
I really found it very informative and interesting.
Always looking for more tools to help me with hunting yotes.
Keep those tip and pics coming.

Hey Dan,

Wow, you certainly have a sweet spot there with a nice blind and good view, as well as a variety of critters around. Please keep us posted this winter with good stories and photos.

I too have been putting together a new hunting blind and will post photos later. It's still a work in progress and will be much better than my pop-up blind in the briar patch that I had last year. The wind and snow played havoc on it, but this year's model will brave the elements. If only I can get coyotes to pose for the night vision, then it will be a success.

David

ironworker, I'm sure either would work. I baited them pretty successfully using Ol Roy dry dogfood. They seem to eat most anything in the table scrap variety as well.

The blind is complete, all the windows are in and the steps are done, carpeting layed, and heat installed. First test comes on the 24th, bear season, hoping my cousin has luck, I won't hunt it until bear season is over or a bear is shot out of it.
Scaffoldblind14.jpg

Scaffoldblind013.jpg

Billscamerabearpictures13.jpg

Well the flies are fading fast due to the recent frost so its time to fire up the bait pile. So last week I got a road kill deer and put it out,bang,one night gone. I think it was a bear as we are loaded up with them this year,but I also put out a barrel of parts from a butcher and within three days that was also gone. I start my bait pile 200 yds back from my home in a small feild that I cannot see then as the coyotes work it I move it closer to the shooting lane which has my wireless beeper.We cannot hunt coyotes at night in Maine until after deer seasion so they get some free meals on me for the time being. I will be going moose hunting sept 30th so hopfuly I will restock the pile.

Last edited:
Weather is to warm, the feeding frenzy we had for a little while is over with the warm up we have experienced. The bear has really cut down on the portion of food it has been consuming every night, or it has left the area and the raccoons and skunks are working the pile over. Even the bird life has left with plenty of road kill deer still on the pile.
Eagles9.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm still getting good results with dry dog food and whatever table scraps and pieces of fruit that we have added in.
MDGC0010.jpg

CopyofCoyote.jpg

Back