.204 vs. .20 Practical vs. .20 Tactical

Is there a dramatic improvement with a 20 Tact/Prac over a .204 Ruger? I was thinking about getting into a "wildcat" cartridge and wondered if there was a big jump in accuracy with the 3 variations listed above. I don't need one ... just looking for something a little different to play with. I am also considering a .223 AI. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Mack
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: tflick9Why not the .223AI? Cheap plentiful brass. Lots of good bullets.

thumbup1.gif

You bet. Plentiful .223 brass, great accuracy and nudging the .22-250 for velocities. After having mine built a couple of years ago I have wondered how I ever managed to do without one. That's what I am holding in my Avatar even.

Originally Posted By: tflick9Why not the .223AI? Cheap plentiful brass. Lots of good bullets.

Instead of an "AI"...why not just a plain 22-250??? MANY rifles chambered for it ( instead of having to get a smith custom chamber a gun for you)...uses "just as cheap" bullets and if the price of casings is sitting a guy back on hard times...he probably cant afford shooting to start with!

Originally Posted By: Mack_BolanIs there a dramatic improvement with a 20 Tact/Prac over a .204 Ruger? I was thinking about getting into a "wildcat" cartridge and wondered if there was a big jump in accuracy with the 3 variations listed above. I don't need one ... just looking for something a little different to play with. I am also considering a .223 AI. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Mack
confused.gif

A 20 cal rifle with the heavier bullets (40gr V-Max) is a very flat shooting rifle, much like a 22-250, with less cost, recoil, and noise. If you shoot the light weight 20 cal bullets (32grs), then it is not a caliber that has much to recommend it.

I had two .204s and gave up on the cartridge, because of poor brass and the factory 12" twist, and went with a .20 Tactical because of the Lapua brass... I built it with a 10" twist.

At long range, the .223 AI will not shoot as flat as a 20 (Tac or .204) with a 40gr V-Max.

A well built 20, with a 10" twist is really an impressive rifle.

But, if you have need for heavy bullet weight, the .223 (straight or A.I.) will beat the 20 every time.

That is why you need two rifles
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Meow
wink.gif

Of the 4 that you listed I would go with the 20t or the 20p over the 204. I won't comment on the 223ai because I don't know enough about that round. The reason I would go with the 20t or the 20p is that it is a very easy wildcat round with very cheap brass. I have a 20p in an ar and love it. I went with the 20p over the 20t because the case forming is simple. Redding s-dies with a 20cal decapping rod and a .230 and .225 bushing. Run the brass through thedie with a .230 bushing and then run it through with the .225 bushing. Put the primer and powder in that you run in most of the 223's seat the bullet and go shoot. No fire forming of the brass. The brass for the 20t or p is a heck of alot cheaper than the 204. Plus the speed is close to the 204. It did not say what you were going to use the rifle for. I run the 26gr varmint grenades for pd and the 35gr bergers for yotes. Running either h322,h335 or benchmark will give me very tiny groups. Have not tried any other powders. I did try 32 and 40gr vmaxes and did not like them. Also tried some 38gr sierra's and they shot good but I can't always find them locally. Good luck.

I have both a 20TAC and a 204R. Tend to use the 20TAC more just because I like the rifle more.

When comparing the 20TAC to the 20PRAC, the TAC requires a fire forming step which is no big deal.

In both rifles I'm getting the best results out of the 39gr. SIE BK. Anything lighter just doesn't do that well.

Can't really go wrong with any of the options you have posed. It's going to get down to personal preference and the actual rifle you end up with.

okay .. a little more info. I would be using this for target plinking and some light 'yote hunting. The dream is to find my way out west to give some Pdogs some air time. Don't know when that will happen, if at all. I have more guns than needed, but not as many as I want. I already have a bolt action in 204R and 1 AR in 204R. I also have a 22-250 in a bolt action, a couple AR's in .223 in various barrel lengths and twists. I also have a 220 Swift barrel sitting unmounted in the corner (big Savage fan).

The 204R's that I do have shoot very nice groups w/ the 32g V-max's (1/12 twists).It might be a sickness, but I like developing loads for a rifle to get little tiny groups... and sometimes I am even successful at it. I was looking for something different to play around with, which is why I was asking about the 20 Tact/Prac and the 223 AI. I have lots of 223 brass, powder, bullets in 20 and 224 and primers... just looking for a direction.

Since most of my shots will be within 300 yds, I really don't need the heavier rounds of the 223 AI, but do find them interesting with better BC's. It is better to have a rifle that can make that long shot and not need it, than to need to make that long shot and not have the rifle to do it. For those with the 223AI, which twist would you recommend? I was leaning towards 1/8 to shoot the heavier loads. The nice thing about the 223AI is if necessary, I can always pick up some reg. 223 at the local China-Mart and be able to use that.

DDW - good info on the 20Prac case forming... thx for reminding me of that.

I hope that you can make sense of these ramblings, it is late and I am tired. Have a great weekend everyone.

ETA : I decided on the 223AI - Sending off the barrel this week. Savage 1-14. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Back