Best shooting sticks

Ward H.

I have a savage .223 bull barrel and In the ,market for something hold it up in the field. Anything will help. Thanks

Something I can buy. Shooting sticks etc

Ps the gun is HEAVY!!!

-ward

Thanks

Unless you just want to spend money, build your own.. I take a couple of replacement broom handles from the local hardware/farm store (5/8") for $3 each and attach them together with a carriage bolt and lock nut, paint them with camo paint and pad where the rifle stock sits...

That way, they are set for my personal height, with me sitting on my little Turkey seat...

They are strong, very stable, and double as a walking stick, if I need it at times...I've tried some of the light commercial sticks and they generally are too flimsy and flexible when I put the weight of the rifle on them...

I highly recommend the products from BogGear Products. They have developed an adaptor for use with the AR platform rifles. Quickly adjustable from sitting to standing, stable as can be, with a cradle that pivots 360 degrees without moving the sticks.

I've gone to using adjustable shooting sticks after using home made,I shoot from sitting on the ground or a chair to standing depending on the terrain.
I like the stoney point or vanguard sticks,Bog pod don't get used I don't like the side to side rock in the V.

Originally Posted By: Ward H.I have a savage .223 bull barrel and In the ,market for something hold it up in the field. Anything will help. Thanks

Something I can buy. Shooting sticks etc

Ps the gun is HEAVY!!!

-ward

Thanks

I also have a savage .223 with a bull barrel. Completely agree on the "heavy!" issue. I bought the primos trigger stick and I like it very well. It adjusts super fast which I like.

I just took some scrap wood from around the house here back when it was being built and made my own. It holds my heavy little Remmy 700 SPS Tac just fine.

Why spend $20+ for a pair when you can build a few sets for each vehicle for a few dollars.

With BogGear, if you don't like the cradle to both pivot and level, you can buy the model where the cradle doesn't have the leveling adjustment. They have all kinds of models for any need. One of the latest developments is a cradle to accomodate the AR platform. Cool as can be.

Have used varmint al's home-made "bi-fur-pod" sticks for years. Have given away several to friends' kids when in need. They are super cheap to build.

After all these years I bought the Primos trigger stick bipod and can't go back. The quick infinite adjustment and self leveling are tough for me to beat with home-made rests.

'VarmintAls.com'
I use old crutches for material. Have bought sets of crutches at yard/garage sales for 50 cents a pair & that will make 2 sets.........code werd,,,,,,'CHEEP!'
I assume most cruthes are made of hickory? Plenty strong to hold up sum heavy bodies. I dont recall ever hearing of any that broke during use as a crutch.

I really like the Primos Trigger Sticks too. I've got short and tall monopods and short bipod. The quick adjustment is what makes them. Also on the short monopod, if you take the rubber cap off the bottom you will find female threads. I turned some aluminum rod and threaded it so I can add height to it if needed. The only downside I've found with the short bipod, the legs don't spread as far as I'd like. You can't really straddle your leg with them so sometimes you have to sit with your legs spread or together and to one side to get setup how you need to be. Doesn't happen often but kinda annoying when it does. I might see if I can alter them a bit for more spread.

I like the Vanguard shooting sticks you can leave the legs together and use it like a monopod or open them and use them that way and they fit ars great.

Back