best 12 gauge 00 buck for coyotes

Originally Posted By: prkrgrpi have decided to get a shotgun for coyote hunting, what would the best shot size 12 gauge 3 in 00 buck ?

confused.gif

Lead number 4 buck shot, copper coated lead BB's, Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote "T" shot, Remington Wingmaster HD BB's or Predator "T" shot and Hevi-Shot waterfowl "B" shot.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: prkrgrpi have decided to get a shotgun for coyote hunting, what would the best shot size 12 gauge 3 in 00 buck ?

I'm thinking you have some catching up to do pardner. Start here

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=777351#Post777351

That should at least get ya up to speed and then come back with questions if ya have any.
great info for hunting turkeys, i need to kill a coyote

Originally Posted By: prkrgrpOriginally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: prkrgrpi have decided to get a shotgun for coyote hunting, what would the best shot size 12 gauge 3 in 00 buck ?

I'm thinking you have some catching up to do pardner. Start here

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=777351#Post777351

That should at least get ya up to speed and then come back with questions if ya have any.
great info for hunting turkeys, i need to kill a coyote

LMAO. I guess you read through it already?

In that case you're probably on the right track with 00 buck. Best of luck to ya.

Originally Posted By: prkrgrpgreat info for hunting turkeys, i need to kill a coyote

I think you missed the whole point.

To address your original question...."OO Buck" IS the shot size.
blink.gif

What people are telling you is that you will be missing more coyotes with 00 buck than anything.

The prefered shot choice for coyote hunters are listed in the article you dismissed as being turkey loads.
GC has killed many many coyotes with a shotgun & knows what he's talking about...(He's the guy that wrote that story the link was to.)
If you are serious about shooting and killing coyotes with a shotgun you may want to reconsider reading that article.
wink.gif

If you are not serious about getting good advice from veteran hunters, why bother to ask the question?

I'm not trying to agitate, but your signature is this:

Predators West- Population control
M2D camo The Best
Ty's Predator calls

and you're a "Seasoned Member". So you plug what I assume is some type of predator control business and predator calls and have been on here long enough to post 250+ times and yet act like you have NEVER seen a discussion on preferred shot size.

I've been on here 2 weeks and have been properly educated on the preferred and popular shot loads for coyote hunting and I've been calling since oh, this past December. Color me confused.

Raptor

ummmm, Even though it says [re:rockinbbar], he wasn't really replying to rockinbbar. He was replying to the guy that wants to hunt coyotes with 00 buck. That guy that don't wanna use none of those wimpy azz turkey loads like lead number 4 buck shot, copper coated lead BB's, Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote "T" shot, Remington Wingmaster HD BB's or Predator "T" shot and Hevi-Shot waterfowl "B" shot.

Still confused?

I dont see the big problem with hunting coyotes with 00 buckshot. I have killed many many coyotes with 00 buck as well as Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote and BB. Hevi-Shot is like $30 a box whereas some other rounds that will do the trick are much cheaper. I am not saying that 00 buck is the best round for killing coyotes, but it has worked more than once for me. Dont mean to stir the pot, just my 2 cents.

Let me just add that i agree with Crimson Raptors comments above.

Last edited:
I have to remember that unless I reply directly to the post in question it assumes the previous poster. My bad.

Yes, I meant to reply to pkrgrp as opposed to rockinbbar. Sorry for the confusion.

Raptor

I have tried OO buck and have got a few with em but the problem is at 40 yards if they are looking strait at you I have had the pattern go on both sides of them and not get one in em. Not many BB's in a OO shell and you start to get some holes in your pattern.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesummmm, Even though it says [re:rockinbbar], he wasn't really replying to rockinbbar. He was replying to the guy that wants to hunt coyotes with 00 buck. That guy that don't wanna use none of those wimpy azz turkey loads like lead number 4 buck shot, copper coated lead BB's, Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote "T" shot, Remington Wingmaster HD BB's or Predator "T" shot and Hevi-Shot waterfowl "B" shot.

Still confused?

Nope, not now! Thanks doggin coyotes.

Sorry about that Crimson Raptor, it don't take much to get me confused sometimes.

Federal #4 Copper Coated Buck 3". It has 43 .22 caliber pellets, and cleanly kills coyotes out to 50 yards with xfull turkey chokes. I even finished one with a hail mary (magic pellet) at 70 last month.

"00" Buck only has between 9 and 13 pellets depending on the brand. If your shots are under 20 yards it may be ok, but outside of 20 there are just to many holes in the pattern to be effective. Unless you are going for the "magic pellet" theory.

Back