40 Year Old Gun and 20 Year Old Bullets

I used sx bullets too, with 748. The splat factor was awesome.

The higher velocities attainable with Vmax give you easier long range shooting, but if you have plenty of 300yard or less PDs they are jim freakin dandy.

HM

Shooting groundhogs, not prairie dogs.

I have used Vmax bullets, they are just OK...on occasion they will splash (hitting a groundhog's foreleg, and the penetration is over. Yes, you can blame the shooter, too, on that if you wish.)

The "splat" factor of the SX is irrelevant to me, they actually don't "splat" a whole lot, often they don't even exit... which is usually good...but they penetrate well on groundhogs and they kill quickly, and that is good.

Sometimes the Vmax don't do as well shooting through some waving grasses right at the target, but the SX will.

And, the Vmax cannot be pushed much faster than anything else of the same weight.

300 yard shots....hmmm, well, some are a lot closer by necessity of where I hunt. And, its hard to drag a shooting table a la prairie dogging where I hunt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecialI killed 3 more groundhogs today with my Remington 788 in .222 using Hornady 50 gr. SXSP bullets.

You don't need Vmax' or a $1000 rifle to hunt.

No but I can guarantee you that my $2000 rifle and my nosler ballistic tips can shoot straighter. Don't come on here doggin on what people have. If a guy wants to put money in his gun and he shoots vmax there's nothing wrong with that, and u shouldn't comment on it. Let alone make a post.

Mr. Reichenbach:

Please be advised it is [still] a free country, including free speech. And, pleasse note, I didn't come here, I am here.

Your $2000.00 rifle may be able to shoot straighter than my 788, then again, it MAY NOT!

Which is my point...for the money spent, a lot of the products on the high side are not that much better at achieving the desired hunting result.

Lots of today's $400.00 rifles and older bullet designs shoot great, and even a $2000.00 rifle often doesn't shoot 5 times better given the 5 times more money spent.

Come on up to NW OH and we will have a groundhog shoot-off when the weather improves.

Originally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecialMr. Reichenbach:

Please be advised it is [still] a free country, including free speech. And, pleasse note, I didn't come here, I am here.

Your $2000.00 rifle may be able to shoot straighter than my 788, then again, it MAY NOT!

Which is my point...for the money spent, a lot of the products on the high side are not that much better at achieving the desired hunting result.

Lots of today's $400.00 rifles and older bullet designs shoot great, and even a $2000.00 rifle often doesn't shoot 5 times better given the 5 times more money spent.

Come on up to NW OH and we will have a groundhog shoot-off when the weather improves.

Amen to that!!!

Why would I want to go out to Ohio to shoot chucks? Why don't you bring out your .222 to Montana and we can go shoot prairie dogs at 400 yards plus, and if that's not fair we can go shoot rock dogs we have a few.

EJ:

I would love to come out to MT and shoot those PD critters that pop right back up even when you hit their buddies (groundhogs run and hide [usually] in their hole at a shot)...BUT the $4.00 a gal. gas will keep most of us hunting near home this summer.

And, those rock chucks often just sit there or are up quickly per the YouTube I've watched; I would love to come out there for those. Rock chucks seem to be more of a deserving, larger target for the powder/lead involved than pds, so I'll lean that way with the 222.

No hunting from tables here, though, on the OH groundhogs, and no bipods...I'll allow cross sticks (but don't use them myself).

Buckeye, when you were talking about the Vmax splashing, were you talking about the actual brand name V-Max by Hornady, or ballistic tips in general?

I had some severe splash problems with the Sierra Blitzking Ballistic Tips(a very thin jacketed bullet), but I have found that the actual Hornady V-Max bullets to be tougher and have never splashed one of them. They sorta provide the best of both worlds, density to penetrate along with rapid expansion once inside along with stablility/speed/accuracy in flight. Just wondering and trying to piece things together.

P.S. I love old guns too, but I try to get all the performance out of them that I can. Here is one of my mid 1960 models. Unfortunately it loves the thin jacketed Blitzkings. Unbelievable accuracy.

VX315x5-600.jpg

Originally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecialEJ:

I would love to come out to MT and shoot those PD critters that pop right back up even when you hit their buddies (groundhogs run and hide [usually] in their hole at a shot)...BUT the $4.00 a gal. gas will keep most of us hunting near home this summer.

And, those rock chucks often just sit there or are up quickly per the YouTube I've watched; I would love to come out there for those. Rock chucks seem to be more of a deserving, larger target for the powder/lead involved than pds, so I'll lean that way with the 222.

No hunting from tables here, though, on the OH groundhogs, and no bipods...I'll allow cross sticks (but don't use them myself).

I know the gas thing is killing me too. I really enjoy driving around on the four wheeler in the mountain shooting rock chucks, I usually go every weekend from may till july looks like it will be a once a month thing this year. If you do get out here let me know.

Pruson:

So, you think I was referring to a Made in China Vmax, the "Vching"?

Of course, I was indeed referring to Hornady Vmax...as in on the side of the box!!!!!

I have splashed 4 or 5 Vmax ...that "should'nt' have...seems once those 4-5 hit anything they started to come apart,still lkilled, though...the rest of the Vmax (50 gr) worked well.

Like your Rem 600.

The Sierra Blitzkings I have fired have been OK (fired one bullet last year and one dead groundhog, no exit)..I bought them by mistake so will keep on loading them [was meaning to buy Sierra Blitz, a different line of Sierra bullets i.e. cheaper.] Will shoot the rest this year.

I think the plastic tips are OK, but they cost too much...its just plastic on the nose, for god's sake! Isn't it just old milk jugs with color added?

Those lead tips (Horn SX and Sierra Blitz) and HP (Speer 52 and Sierra 40)still doing it for me for years.

This ain't the first time BES has taken an offhanded poke at guys and their rifles, or methods.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...642#Post1095642

Here's one of my respones to his thread from 3 years ago....and a link to the thread, read it and make up your own mind.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:Buckeye...Good on ya for killing them the way you wanted too, but the tone just reminds me of an incident that happened to me this spring. Do you flyfish?

I was trout fishing this spring....had the place to myself when another fly fisherman showed up...he was friendly enough at first, I think that he must have mistaken me for one of the die hard catch and release guys (maybe because I had a couple GLoomis fly rod's with me, tie my own flies, and had a nice custom built net strapped to the back of my flyvest, he must have thought the red stains on my vest were from ketchup packets, not trout)....although for some reason his demeanor changed when I started popping gills and putting a few trout in my vest for supper...then all of sudden he wasn't so friendly...his eye's rolled back in his head and his head started spinning like in that exorcist movie. He started sputtering something about trout gods and how "HIS" way was better than mine....I said "but you can't eat them if you let them go"...it didn't help, he didn't see my logic. I asked him if he was OK? He just held up his two index fingers in the shape of a cross and hissed at me (I thought that maybe he had picked and eaten some bad mushrooms while walking to the river and was hallucinating) When I left he was clutching his chest and muttering something about conservation.

As I was eating the freshly fried little Brookies (which were very good by the way) I couldn't help but laugh to myself and how people think "their" way is the "best" way and everyone else is wrong, ignorant, or somehow lesser for not doing what they do....I almost choked on the fish while stifling a laugh, good thing I had a couple cold Sam Adams' handy (None of that cheap redneck Dodge4x4 beer for me). A belly full of Brooktrout, a couple cold beers and I was happy, I still wonder what 'ol catch and release guy had for dinner that night, I know it wasn't trout?

Congrats on your accomplishment though...we don't kill that many each year around here, even with all those "gadgets". Your more than welcome to come up here and hunt them with me, I must warn you though, we use Binoculars and rangefinders. It's a bit like deer hunting though as we very rarely find more than one or two in any given place and spend alot of time glassing for them.

brdeano:

You are a very capable digital researcher to find that old post of mine, wow, 2008, where has the time gone?

I am kinda impressed I articulated hunting conditions and methods in my neck of the woods as well as I did....WHERE one hunts dictates HOW you hunt.

And, where one works dictates how much you spend.

You guys keep using those plastic tip bullets...I will save some of mine back for a cold winter day when I need a sizzler on an OH coyote at 400 yards with kentuck windage, it (the Vmax) and luck may do the trick.

BUT, I'd rather be shooting the 63 grain Sierra lead tip...old habits die hard.

Back