Baiting

Hey Jeff,

You asked once before if any bobcats had come to the bait site. Well, here is the first.

Bobcat-2.jpg

Which Wild Game Innovations is that? I bought the one for $45 at Wally world and it is discraceful. I found a deer carcass that I set my camera over. The carcass was pulled 10' closer to the camera by predators/scavengers and the only pictures I got were of the big dumb gorilla that bought the camera while he was getting rotten deer on his hands setting them up.

By the way, awesome picture. I love the cats, just can't seem to get one.

Corey,

The camera I have is the Wildgame Innovations X6C. It's a nice looking camera, small and compact, easy to use etc. However, I have had troubles with two of them.

I purchased camera #1 and it took great photos, but during the day time many of the photos were either pink or green. When it did take day time photos, they were very good, bright and clear. Night photos didn't seem to be affected with the pink / green stuff.

I sent the camera back for repair or replacement. While it was away at the company, I purchased camera #2. I received a new camera in place of #1 that I am using now and that took the bobcat photo and the ones below. So far it's doing pretty good, except that I still have some day time problems. Sometimes it goes crazy and takes one photo after another about a minute apart, with nothing in the picture. Other times it does really good. Again, there doesn't seem to be any problems with night photos. I will keep this one unless something else goes wrong.

Camera #2 has since been sent back and is at the company now. It was worse than #1. This camera would hardly take night photos at all, and only a few during the day. The bait would completely disappear with no photos to indicate what got it, so camera #2 went back.

For me at least, the main purpose of having a trail camera is to show what animals are around, the times and dates etc. The quality of photos comes in second in my mind, but it's nice to have good quality photos. The X6C, when it works properly, does a good job with photo quality. The good thing is, the camera is not so expensive. I think I paid around $116 at Amazon, which isn't too bad.

One thing the camera doesn't do that I wish it would, is to take both photos and video. It will take either, but not both like some cameras will. You have to program which one you want, so I choose photos. If video is selected, the camera does not indicate the date and time. Date and time is very important to me, so I go with the photo mode.

So far, the replacement for camera #1 is working quite well. Hopefully #2 will arrive soon or it's replacement and be equally as good.

Here are some more photos taken with the replacement for camera #1. Keep in mind these are the best ones. Sometimes night photos are blurred if the animal is moving much.

Wildgame Innovations X6C

X6C.jpg

Hawk2.jpg

Hawk-1.jpg

09.jpg

07-1.jpg

010.jpg

GrayFox-1.jpg

Coyote-1.jpg

Raccoon-1.jpg

Here is a video of a Really Big Red Fox hitting my bait two nights ago. He eats from the same bait I just shot a coyote over last Thursday.

At 11:30 last night my wife woke me and said the beeper was going off. Well I got the AR set up in the rest opened the window and waited. After about 10 min a coyote appeared. I setteled the cross hairs on its shoulder and nothing...the ammo I had in the AR was some 60gr reloads that a local gunsmith is selling and gave me a box to try. Well it stuck so badly I had to take the gun apart to get the shell out,in the mean time I am hearing my beeper go off. The coyote dragged a deer hide off and took it to the woods to eat so it did not return as of yet. Oh well do do happens. I may get hung for saying this but I have been shooting reloads off and on for 20 years and this is not the first time they have let me down and I have got them from several different people that knew what they were doing but still every once in awhile this is the result mostly with semi auto guns.

Scalloper,

I have been reloading for about 35 years. I've had a few misfires during that time, but I've also had a few factory misfires too.

With ARs, so far at least, I'm loading brand new brass and haven't resized any of them yet. I've not had any problems at all by doing that. Just a thought of something you might want to try.

Myself thats the only brass I will reload for hunting as oppertunities here are few and far between. It seems that all of the issues I have seen with reloads are in resizing and mostly with auto loaders. New brass would solve this problem.

In Maine we can night hunt until June 1st so I still have alot of time left yet to wack a few more. I hear that the femals get very hungry in april so maybe we can get 7/1 or 8/1
scared.gif

when buying reloads from someone else. each round should be cycled through the action of your semiauto rifle,to be sure they all chamber smoothly, mainly because he may have just neck sized the cases, and where they were fired in someone elses rifle, the chamber size may be different. i full length size all new brass, which may be redundant but almost all semiautos are very finicky as to chamber size. with a bolt you can usually cram anything in there and shoot it but not the autos. You're so right Scalloper our opportunities are precious and few. i don't know if thats the answer but every little bit helps,good luck man.
don
PS SCALLOPER, you can now night hunt in Maine till August 31st. the season was extended last year. they didn't publish this very well at all. cheers.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust reloads (or new handloads) from a gun shop or anywhere else. I have been loading for about 43 years and I know how easy it is to screw up if you get distracted for even a second.

As far as using new brass, you should always chamfer the case mouth and run the case through the resizing die before loading it. New cases are often dented and dinged up when you take them out of the bag and the case neck needs to be trued up before loading.

Originally Posted By: donlynchwhen buying reloads from someone else. each round should be cycled through the action of your semiauto rifle,to be sure they all chamber smoothly, mainly because he may have just neck sized the cases, and where they were fired in someone elses rifle, the chamber size may be different. i full length size all new brass, which may be redundant but almost all semiautos are very finicky as to chamber size. with a bolt you can usually cram anything in there and shoot it but not the autos. You're so right Scalloper our opportunities are precious and few. i don't know if thats the answer but every little bit helps,good luck man.
don
PS SCALLOPER, you can now night hunt in Maine till August 31st. the season was extended last year. they didn't publish this very well at all. cheers.
August 31! I herd june 1st but it makes sence to go up until bear seasion. I have not read the change yet, thats 1 for us for a change.

I had a 1/3 of a barrel of bait left from December that I put out last night before dark about 1 mile from where I live. We got about 2-3in of fresh snow early this AM and it stoped around 10am. So I went out to check it out today around 3pm. Man there were fresh yote tracks all around the bait they realy worked it up. There was only about 1 5gal bucket of bait left. So I left and got rigged up and sat for 3:15min until dark and ZIP NOTA nothing but ravins and two eagals. Stinks

David that's a nice looking cat,I guess the season has past for cats there in Virginia too, it ended in feb here in GA.? I had a wilgame inovations camera also, and as long as I bought fresh batteries for it I got around 1,000 pics per set.

A red fox has been coming to the bait most every night. I could easily have taken him with the night vision equipment, but he is considered a game animal so is off limits. It was fun watching him, though, as well as a couple of grays.

Even though our season is over I set up a bait site to try my new trail camera. This guy was the first to show:
PICT0101.jpg

Then either he or another one showed up at night:
PICT1208.jpg

Then another critter stole the rest of my bait:
NightFisher.jpg

Back