Anybody know more about this older Sako Vixen L461 .222 Mag

johnc427

Finally dug this old gun out of my dads gun safe. Never been shot by either of us was just purchased from a friend because he needed the money. It's an Sako Vixen L461 .222 Mag. Just curious what it's worth. I don't know a thing about it and whether or not it shoots good or not, etc etc... If you know anything about them or have any experience with one I'd like to hear some input . I'm gonna try and buy it off his hands if it's worth anything. Seems like it would make a great carry gun!
thumbup1.gif

P1000363.jpg

P1000362.jpg

P1000369.jpg

P1000371.jpg

Last edited:
I saw two of those models/similar condition [unscoped] at a NW Ohio gun show this winter, one was $800 and the other $900.00, think they were .222.

Your looks to be mint, and in the rarer (?) .222 mag, so go figure....

VERY NICE rifle.

A deceased friend had one. He liked it and shot it a lot. After he passed his wife sold off his collection. I got his .223 L461 and I talked with the guy who got the 222 magnum via an internet forum. He had to have the barrel set back becuase the throat was burned long but really liked the results afterwords.

My guess is the 222 magnum will burn out the throats faster but are otherwise a nice accurate rifle. My guess is they are few and far between but there is some demand for them. I'd be reluctant to let it go. kwg

They are sweet little rifles. You can shoot a lot of bullets before you burn out the throat. It's about equal to a 223 AI. I have a Sako L469 in 222 mag and a Sako A1 in 223 that is pretty similar to what you have.

It will make a great carry rifle. It "might" have a 1-14 twist so you may have to stay with the lighter bullets.

May be worth $800-900

Is that an old 4x Leupold? Those are pretty nice scopes too.

I have one with the heavy barrel it is indeed a 14" twist, mine really like any of the flat base 55 grains bullets and lighter. Some of my favorites are 55 Sierra Blitz, 50 grain Sierra blitz, any of the Hornady 50 to 55 grain Spire Points over a good dose of H-4895, H-4198 works great on the lighter bullets like 40 to 45 grain. Any of the 52 to 53 grain HP match type bullets will shoot great with just about whatever powder you choose. Brass is sometimes a little hard to find but it is around just have to look. Those are really sweet shooting rifles I've had mine since 1972 still shoots great some day may have to set the barrel back but for right now it still shoots. Shot a .295 five shot group at 100 yards a couple weeks ago then went out and killed two coyotes with it. Just might keep it a while.

Wow, nice looking gun!

It wouldn't be too off the map to see them go for $1000+

The Sakos I've owned have always shot. Well! And I love their actions.

Yeah I really like the Sako actions as well. Got another one that I BELIEVE is an AV or as far as I can tell that was built by a guy in Boise, ID in what i wanna say was the mid 90's. I'll try and find out more information on it but it's a very accurate rifle and it's chambered in .270 Wby. Great deer rifle.

I have the same rifle, in 222mag also. Sweet shooter, very accurate. With my most accurate loads to date, I shot a .181 then followed it up with a .336.

It's my main go-to coyote gun. I use a stiff charge of Varget under a 55gr Sierra GKBT and velocities are around 3,400fps, accuracy is sub-moa.

Don't let it get away.

Yeah I definitely don't have any intentions of letting it go if I were to buy it and if I don't I'm sure he'll just hang on to it. Found some handloads that came with the rifle and several of the boxes date back to the mid-80's. Seems it hasn't been shot since then because there are none missing...

There's something "special" looking about that gun.
I can't put my finger on it. But, it looks special. JUMP ON IT. I would if 'in I had the chance and the funds to do so.

I have one in .223 that my dad gave to me. I am guessing it has probably had several thousand rounds fired and still a very accurate rifle. Loves 50gr V-Max's. THe magazine spring broke a few years ago and I recall it was quite the expedition trying to find another one.

that is the awesome vintage too. i have a 243 sporter and a 222 mannlicher . what a jewel you have. i had a later one in 222mag but sold it. killed over 100 coyotes with it. 50 grainers and 3031 where i would start

Last edited:
if he will take $800-$900 for it you better get all over that. i own a few sakos and i would put that rifle around $1200 with optics in that condition....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sako-L461-Vixen-Pre-Garcia-222-Mag/1120546.uts?Ntk=GunLibrary&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DGunLibrary%26Ntt%3Dsako%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-Gun%2BLibrary&Ntt=sako

its a sako no question its a shooter....

Last edited:
Wow that's crazy I had no idea it was worth that much or it was as accurate as people are saying it is. He says he picked it up for 600 bucks about 8 years ago.

Last edited:
Back