Baiting

At 12:30 my wife woke me up and said "your beeper is going off like crazy". So I opened the shooting window and saw two coyotes running all around the bait. After 1-2 min this female gave me a nice broadside shot. She dropped in her tracks. Then I waited 10 min and a very large coyote came right in and started sniffing the first one,so when the coyote offered a good broadside shot I planted one nicely behind the shoulder but it managed to make its way to the woods. I will hunt for it in the daylight.

1st of two tonight
P2220109.jpg

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYGood looking dog. Good luck with the second one. Hopefully he'll be laid up in the woods.
Thanks she is a beautiful [beeep]. The male did not bleed a drop and the bullet passed right threw 55 gr V-Max

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Scalloper, really nice going there. A double is just hard to beat.

Is this the motion detector you are referring to?

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=604949

I appreciate any reports about it, like does it go off without an animal being present to trip it?

Thanks.

David
Yes thats the one I use. I have never had a problem with it going off without a animal being present.And you can use 6 or 8 sensors

Just piled up another one off the bait!!! 4 of them set the alarm tonight..........God this is fun!!!!!! Got a great new winter hobby...........Not sure how to post pics on this site if someone will enlighten me I will post them........How much fun is it dragging your wife out of bed to take pictures of a dead coyote!!!! She is a trooper......

Thanks TET and GG
While looking for the second coyote I saw a ton of tracks from 50-200 yds of my bait seems like they have been working this area for awhile.
Theguy that got me started in hunting coyotes told me,if I shoot one to leave it as allot of time the second one will come out after a few min. He said in his experences most of the time during the mating seasion if the female is shot the male will not leave her and thats what seemed to have taken place here.
Somthing else I tried. Last week I put bird seed all around my baited area just to get the birds around to get some more activity in the area. The birds are on the bait pile all day long now. It could have helped. But I still almost never go around the bait unless needed to keep human sent down around the baited area.

I made a wire mesh bird feeder, about 20" ong and fill it with sunflower seeds. Only refill when I rebait. Helps to have little birdy and squirrel eyes letting me know if thy see anything during the day. Plus, like you said, more activity can't hurt.

Hey Guys
Got number three this morning he was at 260 yds about 100 yds past my bait and walking away.
Did not want to take the chance and wait because it looked like he was just going to walk away.
Checked my trail cam and they were in just about all night no wonder he was not hungry.
243wssm smack down.

Originally Posted By: GrizleyHunterHey Guys
Got number three this morning he was at 260 yds about 100 yds past my bait and walking away.
Did not want to take the chance and wait because it looked like he was just going to walk away.
Checked my trail cam and they were in just about all night no wonder he was not hungry.
243wssm smack down.
Great job. Look how tech has improved our coyote hunting in the last 20 years with alarms,cameras E-callers.

Originally Posted By: BrownBear1998Guess There a little small!!! something to work on tonight
The pictures may be small but those look like very nice yotes. WTG

BrownBear= Nice go'in there on those yotes! Keep it up.
Scalloper- Don't know about coyotes, but earlier this season I shot a grey fox and left it lay, shortly after another grey came out in the field to smell the dead one and "BAM"- dropped that one too. Curiosity killed the dog! HA HA!

Back