Baiting

Originally Posted By: JackindistressY'all are probably getting tired of looking at dead coyote pictures. Here are just a couple more before I slack off on hunting them for the season. I got the one on the left this morning and the one on the right is the one that I got Monday morning (day before yesterday). They are hitting the hog scraps really hard. It was almost 7:30 again this morning when this one came out of the woods from across the field.

2-16-coyote-picture3.jpg

The temperature is in the mid 60's here today and I saw turkey buzzards circling when I went to town earlier today. With the warmer weather the buzzards will begin hitting my bait so my baiting season is probably pretty much over.

When the temps. stay in the 40's and above during the night my interests turn to backpacking and fishing and coyote hunting gets put on the back burner anyway. I have some places that I want to get into and do some calling before I quit for the season but it is really sloppy out right now with all of the snow melt.

Almost forgot, when I went back up to my bait area this morning to take pictures there was an eagle there feeding. I would have liked to gotten a picture of it, but it flew off quite a ways before it landed in a tree.

Gobblergetter, that is a cool video of the 'possum. I had never seen one get aggressive like that.

congrats agin stackin them up..

All you fellers talking about the ice and snow makes me long for winter already, here in my part of GA it's been 60 degrees for the last three days and I just hate to see the season go.Like many of you in the south I too am starting to slack on my bait stations and have been trying to cut down on my hunting,it was easier to quit smoking.Oh by the way Happy I never get tired of seeing dead coyote pics, so keep 'em coming.

Last edited:
I call AND use bait under a red light @ about 75 yards. One reason is that our place isn't very open - it's hilly with scattered cedar and in the middle of the night you can have a yote up close and not see it. Some bait (e.g. chicken livers) can draw it into your target zone.

My mission is to KILL coyotes, period. I'm not interested in what's the most fun, or pelts or anything else. I had to change from sheep to cattle because yotes were slaughtering the ewes. My neighbors have a constant problem with yotes, too. I use a .243 with 85 gr. Sierra Gamekings (HPBT). At 50-75, they'll blow that coyote apart like a grenade. Out here, the only good coyote is a dead coyote, period.

danny-take 'em out. As Ruark said "the only good coyote is a dead coyote" I have to agree and that goes for the rest of the predator critters out there. Never met one I liked.
Gary, you keep shooting 'em and posting pics. I see it as saving livestock and saving a few of the "wildlife underdogs" like rabbits, turkeys, quail, etc. Nice job!

I'm like you guys, I have enjoyed this thread immensely. It's the first one I go to when I open up the forums.

Happy, I never get tired of your photos, keep 'em coming. Pictures makes things interesting.

Gobblergetter, I have since ordered a lazer illuminator for the night vision scope. I think / hope it will extend my effective killing range.

No photos of the coyote for a while, so unsure what has happened to him. I am getting a gray fox visiting the site, however. I hope to get out Saturday night with the night vision scope for some fun. I'll keep you posted.

David

I know you guys like pics , so this female came to my bait last friday at 3:00am. I went downstairs to pee at that time ,and like usual i always look out the kitchen window at the bait pile with the binos. There she wason the bait. So I cranked the window out slow and quiet, loaded the rifle,and put the barrel out. It was @ minus 5 at the time. After taking carefull aim I stroked the .223's trigger and expected to see a bang flop after recovering from the muzzle flash.I checked with the glasses and didnt see anything, so I went back to bed after taking care of business. Convincing myself I missed I thought going out at dawn would be appropriate measure.
Slipping on the snowshoes at sunup I marched my way to the scene to have a look. Sure enough there was a drop of blood ten yds. away from the impact site . She ran down a trail and pile up in the brush 40yds. from the bait. On the scale she was 42lbs. Very round and fat with nice dark fur . No mange this time around.
3amfemale211small.jpg

I think this is a different coyote from my other pics. It's hard to tell but it doesn't look as dark colored to me.

I've been out there a lot. When I go back and look at pics they were always there an hour after I'm gone which makes me think they know I'm there. I'm going to hang a climbing stand tonight and put more effort into scent control.

001-57.jpg

043-1.jpg

044.jpg

045.jpg

049.jpg

051.jpg

052.jpg

053.jpg

jkruger, That is one NICE looking coyote.

hsracer201, I am about jealous of you guys with all the red foxes. We used to have a lot of reds and greys here in Illinois until the coyote population increased. We very seldom see a fox here anymore. Maybe one every couple of years.

Hsracer, nice photos. At least you are getting some photos. Mine has been very slow lately, but I did get some of a skunk and a gray fox a couple of nights ago.

UPDATE ON NIGHT VISION SCOPE:

Tonight at about 7:00 PM, I sighted in the rifle with the new night vision scope. Distance was 60 yards. The moon was coming up and yielded a little light, but it wasn't high enough in the sky to be very bright. The illuminator that came with the scope provided most of the light.

The lazer illuminator I ordered is on the way, so I should have it in a day or two. It should really brighten things up.

I shot a 5-shot group at 60 yards. Here is the result.

The white inner circle is just under 1.5" across. 4 shots went 1/2". I can live with that. I'm hoping to put it to the test Saturday night, weather permitting.

NightVisionTarget.jpg

Spartan1.jpg

Here's the bait getters. Don't know what has happened to the coyote, haven't seen him for a while.

MDGC0007.jpg

MDGC0025.jpg

MDGC0002.jpg

Originally Posted By: Jackindistressjkruger, That is one NICE looking coyote.

hsracer201, I am about jealous of you guys with all the red foxes. We used to have a lot of reds and greys here in Illinois until the coyote population increased. We very seldom see a fox here anymore. Maybe one every couple of years.

Believe it or not, that's the only red fox I've seen here this year. I feel sure it's the same one coming in over and over. Those pics are taken about 200 yards behind my house and I hunt here all the time. I've killed a bobcat and two greys here this year and called in a ton of greys that I couldn't get good solid shots at, but I have never positively identified a red. That's why I want to get it so bad, I've never killed one. So trust me, there aren't a lot of them. I've called and called for that red with no luck.

Yea, I think I will. The Gen 1 may be all I need, time will tell.

I hope to put a red crosshair on that little stinker Saturday night, but I can't do it over bait. I'll have to catch him in the act of disturbing cow patties, which they do often.

I'm a dope! I walked into a bait site with the wind in my face and crows raising heck at the site. Just as I got to the ravine to look over at the pile about 75 yards away, the string on my barrel (wind indicator) was pointing toward the bait pile. Everything got very still. Found very fresh chewings and up to the second fresh signs. So,I bumped this urban coyote off the bail pile. Boy oh boy, some days! Coyotes can teach you how to be a good hunter.

Originally Posted By: BrownBear1998To you fellas using Motion Detectors.......I have the Chamberlain CMA 2000.....it gives off a green flash of light when tripped at the motion detector.....do you guys think this bothers the Coyotes??? I have had a bait pile for the last 2 monthes and managed to shoot a few off it....but they are strictly nocturnal now and I was sick of getting up every 10 mins to check the pile let alone......I knew they were coming in when I was sleeping....so I got this .......it works great pile is 150 yds away and ever eagle or crow that lands trips it......last night it finally went at night 2;30 am.......So I knew........looked out to see a coyote running away then he sat and barked for 10 mins or so.......just left it alone figured he would be back but nothing........just wondering if that flash could spook them????
Take the sensor apart and put a small peice on black tape over the light.

Back