Baiting

UPDATE:

The IR illuminator isn't quite up to snuff. Tonight I was planning to fine tune the zero a tad, but the illuminator doesn't quite put out enough light. I had a feeling it was lacking, and it is.

The moon was not visibile tonight, and the snow has partly melted but still there is a lot on the ground, with bare spots here and there that are dark.

I placed the target at a 58 measured yards, but could not see well enough to feel comfortable shooting initially. After playing around with the illuminator adjustment a bit, I think I could shoot a coyote, but the target is smaller so I didn't waste ammo.

The illuminator apparently was set on wide focus, so I dialed it out which did illuminate the target better. I guess the adjustment focused the beam more narrowly. Before doing that I could barely detect a target was even there, but once I adjusted the illuminator, it became visible, but is still lacking. That leads me to believe a better illuminator would make the scope usable. The illuminator has adjustments, so I may have to play around with that a bit to get it focused on the target distance.

I have the opinion that a more powerful illuminator would help.

Jackindistress, at a distance the target appears a little fuzzy, not a lot, but just not as clear as we are used to seeing in a rifle scope. The 100 yard target is also a little dim, but I believe it's due to the illuminator not putting out enough light. I adjusted the scope's focus as best as I could, and it's not too bad, but not as sharp as I would like. The snow is easily seen up to 100 yards, but dark spots on the ground are not very visible. Again, I think the illuminator is the main culprit. Last night was not overcast, so I think I could have made a better shot then. My dog was standing about 40 yards away last night, giving a good example. I could have easily made a shot. He is solid black, but I still had enough light to see enough to make a good shot at that distance.

I have been hoping the Gen 1 Spartan would perform enough for up to 100 yard shots, but right now I don't feel comfortable with it. I am thinking that a more powerful illuminator like the one TNVC sells (rated up to 500 yards) would allow the scope to do a better job. It remains to be seen if a better illuminator would solve the problem or not. Even if the scope is a bit blurry (not bad though), shots could be made if the scene was lighter.

I'm sure Gen 1 is not as clear as a Gen 3, but also I have a feeling that a Gen 1 (with enough light) will work for reasonable shots up to 100 yards. At 25 yards I could easily see the target for some good shooting. The scope and illuminator as it is now would do well on an air rifle or for close range shooting.

I'm very much in learning mode about night vision, and experimenting with this scope is enlightening. I hope to learn more about night vision. What I really want to know is, will a better illuminator help a Gen 1 to be usable for shooting over bait at reasonable distances. I'm thinking right now of purchasing the TNVC illuminator and give it a try, but it cost $200. If it works, then it would be a good investment. If it doesn't help the Spartan, then it could be used on a future scope. I plan to contact someone at TNVC and talk to them about this issue and see what they say.

Once again, I'll keep you posted. Maybe we can all learn a little about what a Gen 1 scope can and cannot do. A lot of guys are interested in night vision, but like me they don't know what to expect, and can't afford $4,000 for a good Gen 3. We all hear the stories of Gen 3, but also I see YouTube videos and good reviews on Gen 1 stuff. I just needed to satisfy myself with putting it to the test to see if it's usable.

Time will tell if it's going to work for my coyote baiting situation.

Scalloper,

I didn't try the scope for hunting, only for testing in the back yard. I have a 100 yard shooting range out back, so that's where I used the scope.

As I mentioned before, I don't feel comfortable that the scope will work well without good light, such as from snow and moon. The illuminator is lacking.

However, on the nights the moon was bright and a clear sky, against the snow background, the scope worked well and 50 yard shots would be relatively easy, even without the illuminator.

I'm sure the resolution of a Gen 1 has limitations for distances that a Gen 3 could handle. Having said that, I have a feeling the Gen 1 would suffice for shots up to maybe 100 yards, given there is ample light.

Not sure if a more powerful illuminator would solve the problem or not. With dark nights and no snow, the scope / illuminator combination just will not cut it.

Last night when I adjusted the illuminator, it made a drastic difference at the 58 yard mark. Still, light was not what I had hoped for. With the illuminator set on wide, I could barely tell a target was even there, but when I adjusted it, the target became visible, but still needed more light to make good shots. That's why I question if a good quality illuminator might make the scope usuable.

As it is right now, the scope is not very usable except with moon and snow, and on shots around 50 - 75 yards, maybe even 100 yards under good circumstances.

Well folks I went to Meijers tonight to get some food and stuff and thought I would walk through and see what they had. WOW! all their huntin stuff was on Clearance. Didn't see anything that i realy had to have untill,There it was a NIB Ameristep Doghouse Blind in Real tree AP. They had 2 so I rolled it over and WOW! $31.00 Clearance. Guess we all know where it is now. Stock up for next year
smile.gif

I haven't hunted much the last week or so because with all of he ice and snow it was just so noisy walking that there was not way to get in to a stand quietly. My neighbor called Saturday morning and said they were going to butcher some hogs later in the day and if I wanted meat scraps and hides to come and get them.

A fatty hog hide is just like candy to a coyote so there was no way I was going to turn them down. So, late Saturday evening I put out 3 big mineral tubs full of fresh bait. It warmed up enough yesterday that most of the snow and ice melted so it made it a lot easier getting to my stand this morning.

I glassed the field and could tell that the bait had been moved. They had been into two of the piles and had scraps scattered. It was about 6:45 am and no coyotes were out there but I was confident that they were not far away. I settled in and figured I would wait until around 8:am at least. That fresh meat must have been a lot better than the frozen cow they had been eating on because I hadn't been there 15 minutes and this one came back in for seconds.

2-14-coyote-picture3.jpg

I don't know which direction he came in from. I set my rifle down in the corner of my blind to reposition my seat and when I looked back out the window he was standing there eating pig.

Great job. Man I have been chompin at the bit to get out calling and set up a bait in a new area but the work thing has me snarled up. It appears that you have a good supply of coyotes in your area(or did have) Way to stack-um

I have put out another bait stand, got a ribcage from a friend, and a baitsicle from home, nothing touching it yet but I have tracks just behind it, put out a camera yesterday will check it in a few days, I can see the pile in the hardwoods from the house with binoculars, so if I see the bait has been moved or critters on it I'm good to go.

Jackindistress, you are just having too much fun!! Nice going.

Something, hopefully a coyote, is taking the bait every night, but I'm not getting photos of it. The new camera is worse than the other one, so looks like it will go back to Wildgame Innovations too. Great photos when it decides to take some, but not doing the job it is supposed to do.

I have since put a cheap Moultrie on the post near the X6C, hoping to find out what is taking the bait, and when.

For now, it's down time. This camera deal has me frustrated to say the least.

I have had about the same luck with digital trail cameras. It seems like the colder it is, the less reliable they are, at least the cheaper ones. I am not going to spend a lot on one when it is too easy for someone to walk off with it. When it started getting down in the 20's, I was having bait taken but no pictures.

I went and sat on the freshened bait pile again this evening from about 5:30 until 9:pm. There was a pack of them howling across the field from me at about 8:pm but I never did see any come into the field. The moon was bright enough that I could see the bait pile without a light. It sure was slick walking back to the house though. It got up in the 40's here today and most of the snow and ice was gone so I took my ice spikes off. It ended up that there was quite a bit of snow left along the field edge and it was frozen back over when I came in tonight. It is more ice than snow and is about 5" thick so about every other step it breaks and you drop about 5 or 6 inches to the ground.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Jackindistress, you are just having too much fun!! Nice going.

David, being able to get on here and read about how all of you are doing has made it that much more enjoyable. I have hunted them by baiting as well as calling for many years. I just usually don't have a steady supply of bait like I have had this year.

Local predator hunt this weekend, haven't been hunting the bait on the pole line for a couple of weeks, friend is in the predator challenge so he is bringing the road kills and keeping the pile going, told him I would wait to hunt it until after the challenge is over. He has a camera out, haven't seen him to find out what is visiting the pile.

talk about a bait site, this was taking out of the window 2 days ago, they come up almost every day to eat the bird seed on the back porch.. still a little shy when you come to the window.. went out yesterday afternoon and walked out behind the pond and there was 23 of them in the pine trees walking around!!

gobblergetter thought you might like this pic!!!!
BigBirds2-6011.jpg

Originally Posted By: JackindistressI haven't hunted much the last week or so because with all of he ice and snow it was just so noisy walking that there was not way to get in to a stand quietly. My neighbor called Saturday morning and said they were going to butcher some hogs later in the day and if I wanted meat scraps and hides to come and get them.

A fatty hog hide is just like candy to a coyote so there was no way I was going to turn them down. So, late Saturday evening I put out 3 big mineral tubs full of fresh bait. It warmed up enough yesterday that most of the snow and ice melted so it made it a lot easier getting to my stand this morning.

I glassed the field and could tell that the bait had been moved. They had been into two of the piles and had scraps scattered. It was about 6:45 am and no coyotes were out there but I was confident that they were not far away. I settled in and figured I would wait until around 8:am at least. That fresh meat must have been a lot better than the frozen cow they had been eating on because I hadn't been there 15 minutes and this one came back in for seconds.

2-14-coyote-picture3.jpg

I don't know which direction he came in from. I set my rifle down in the corner of my blind to reposition my seat and when I looked back out the window he was standing there eating pig.

congrats

Fine work JID! You have been taking the 'yotes apart, piece by piece.That's the way to do it. Makes for a memorable season.
Haven't had any activity here. They are too cautious in my area. But tonight is the last nightime hunting that a person can do here. So it's soon daytime only.
The only thing I've harvested here is more guns. That's kinda fun!....

David- Sounds like you're having a good time with the Nightvision scope. I had to laugh-where you're needing more illumination and I've got too much with the 250 kill light. Last Fri. night I lite up 2 reds and a grey (at different times) and all of them bolted off.
Seriously thinking 'bout going back to my Lightforce light which has a tighter beam with no halo and I can lessen the light intensity too.
Gary- Way to go on taking out another yote. Good job! Can't be too many more left around you is there?
upinthemud- You made my day! Thanks for sharing the turk picture. I have yet to see any sign of turks around here.
Friday night I picked up a fresh roadkill doe and added her to one of the piles. I've cut back to just 2 bait stations now, especially with turk season coming up-I try to keep the activity level low. Game cams are still up and running for a little while then they get moved for turkey shots.
Lots of fights over the bait lately so I included one of the videos of a possum attacking a dead possum I had shot and left lay. Crazy "wood rat"!
(Video)

Y'all are probably getting tired of looking at dead coyote pictures. Here are just a couple more before I slack off on hunting them for the season. I got the one on the left this morning and the one on the right is the one that I got Monday morning (day before yesterday). They are hitting the hog scraps really hard. It was almost 7:30 again this morning when this one came out of the woods from across the field.

2-16-coyote-picture3.jpg

The temperature is in the mid 60's here today and I saw turkey buzzards circling when I went to town earlier today. With the warmer weather the buzzards will begin hitting my bait so my baiting season is probably pretty much over.

When the temps. stay in the 40's and above during the night my interests turn to backpacking and fishing and coyote hunting gets put on the back burner anyway. I have some places that I want to get into and do some calling before I quit for the season but it is really sloppy out right now with all of the snow melt.

Almost forgot, when I went back up to my bait area this morning to take pictures there was an eagle there feeding. I would have liked to gotten a picture of it, but it flew off quite a ways before it landed in a tree.

Gobblergetter, that is a cool video of the 'possum. I had never seen one get aggressive like that.

To you fellas using Motion Detectors.......I have the Chamberlain CMA 2000.....it gives off a green flash of light when tripped at the motion detector.....do you guys think this bothers the Coyotes??? I have had a bait pile for the last 2 monthes and managed to shoot a few off it....but they are strictly nocturnal now and I was sick of getting up every 10 mins to check the pile let alone......I knew they were coming in when I was sleeping....so I got this .......it works great pile is 150 yds away and ever eagle or crow that lands trips it......last night it finally went at night 2;30 am.......So I knew........looked out to see a coyote running away then he sat and barked for 10 mins or so.......just left it alone figured he would be back but nothing........just wondering if that flash could spook them????

if you get low on bait sources get a plastic barrel cut a 10" hole 1.5 foot from the bottom hang it with a metel swivel in the middle of the line..fill it with a bag of dog food...they wont see the light so much and wont care as it takes them longer to get the food..the swivel keeps coons out...

Back