Baiting

Scalloper, thanks for the notice. For now, the one I have seems to be working, but I will put it through it's paces again before hunting with it.

I like Sportsman's Guide. They stand behind their products and have great service.

By the way, my coyote seems to be wavering a bit. He hasn't been to the bait for four nights now. Maybe he is love struck.

Thats very possible as they do go outside their home range about this time of year,but then again you should be seeing different coyotes that may wonder in.

I know we don't have an abundance of coyotes here, but I'm very surprised that only that one has hit the bait.

David I hope that someone hasn't beat you to the shot. Have you seen any Bobcats on your pile yet?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Wallbass45Oh another thing the senser is good for is Groundhogs! Set it near the hole and take a nap.......:)
There you go with your naps again
laugh.gif
! Ewwww, I like that idea for g-hogs provided the burrow is close by, I guess . . . Add a few canalope rhines for bait and have some fun! Game cams work well too. Thanks.

Good News!

I just heard from Jim. He is OK, and has just been busy with other things. He said it has been so warm that his bait cicles were melting too fast so he hasn't been putting them out.

Last edited:
Hi guys and gales.
Yeah I have been very busy. To da*n many hobbys. I have a website that keeps me busy a lot of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya had us a little worried there Cougar Jim. . . glad your OK and glad to hear from you. Jump back in here when you get the time and your baitsicles freeze again!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Cougar JimHi guys and gales.
Yeah I have been very busy. To da*n many hobbys. I have a website that keeps me busy a lot of the time.

good to hear your ok! we were gonna start calling you "cougar Jimmy hoffa"

nothing been at your bait?

I know some of you guys got some heavy snow earlier this week. I got about 1 1/2 - 2" of ice here. The coyotes will be hungry, but it makes for some tough walking. I strapped on my ice cleats and went down in the bottom to the south pasture this morning. There were quite a few tracks but I didn't see any coyotes. I called one up down there about a week ago but he came up a ditch and popped out right on top of me before I saw him. That would have been a good time to have the shotgun, but do to the long walk in there I decided to not take it that morning.

I went back this afternoon and got in my hunting shack at the north edge of the pasture. It has sliding windows at the shooting ports but they had so much ice in the tracks that they were hard and noisy to move so I opened them and taped a couple pieces of clear plastic over them to help keep out the wind.

I knew I would make a little noise lifting the plastic out of the way but not nearly as much as if I had to slide the window. I also was expecting the coyotes to come in from the other side of the pasture which would give me plenty of time to pull the tape loose or lift the plastic.

As most of you know, when it comes to coyote hunting things often do not go as planned. At 4:30 I looked out my west shooting window just about the same time a large male coyote walked out of the timber into the pasture. He was about 40 yards away. There was not way I could lift the plastic without him hearing me so I sat quietly and let him continue on out into the pasture. He made it out to about 60 or 70 yards and stopped to sniff at something.

I raised the plastic up and got my rifle out the window without spooking him but then he walked on farther and stopped a couple more times but wouldn't stop long enough for me to get a good shot at him. He ended up going at such an angle that I could no longer shoot out that window and had to switch.

I was just about to get a bead on him out the other window when something spooked him a little and he turned and started to trot the other direction. I have learned that it is best to not bark at them when they are that close to try and get them to stop, so I went ahead and shot him before he hit second gear. It hit him just a little far back but dropped him and I quickly finished him with a second shot. The 50 grain V-max out of my 22-250 makes a mess out of them when they are that close so I converted the picture to black and white to make it more presentable. Sorry for the picture quality. It is just a cell phone photo.

pasture-coyote3.jpg

I had about an hour of shooting light left so I hiked on back up the hill and went about 3/4 of a mile to one of my bait sites. I sat there until dark and nothing showed up but I heard one barking off to the east and another howling down in the bottom. I want to try and be back at the pasture before daylight in the morning. I have pretty good luck just hunting along their travel routes in that bottom ground.

Jeff, no bobcats yet.

Jackindistress, you are really getting into them this year. Nice job.

Jim, glad you are back and all is ok. You had us worried there for a bit.

Jackindistress - way to go. It is so slippery around here just to scrap ice from the truck windows I almost slipped under the darn trunk. What is the weight or estimate?

Jim!! Good to hear from you!

justshoot,
It has been just about too slick to get out here also. I had studs screwed into the soles of my boots and a pair of strap on ice spikes on top of those. The cows had the ice broken up good where they had been going up and down the hill to the pasture or I might have still had to crawl back up that big hill. LOL

I was going to take the ATV and haul him out and weigh him the next morning but we got another 5" of snow overnight and I didn't get it done. Probably around 40 pounds though.

What a nice morning. I left the house at 5:15am to deliver some seafood and saw a very nice large coyote standing right next to the road on my way home,no gun... Then I was making breakfast at 6:45 and my beeper went off I was right by my shooting window and looked out to see this guy. Great day. First one of the year. I have been seeing many cat tracks around and I expected to see one before now. This will make a nice hat for my wife.
P2070053.jpg

Jim good to hear from you, glad your good.To all others who've stayed devoted to this thread thanks guys, I too bait to supplement my calling and really enjoy reading about everyones experience and have learned alot. Anyway thanks to all.

Trying to get started on the baiting but have not had any luck so far.

I had a few coyotes and a bobcat showing up on my trailcam for a couple of weeks and decided to try to bait them. My first attempt has been an absolute failure up to this point. I purchased 4 chicken quarters and hung them in the branches between 3 1/2 and 5 feet above the ground to keep the buzzards from getting at them. 2 weeks and now I haven't seen the coyotes or bobcat since then either. About 5 days ago I cut 2 of the chicken quarters down out of the trees and let them lay on the ground and they are still laying there. Guess the buzzards don't want to waste their time or they haven't seen them yet.

Time to try something new. We don't get below freezing much during the Winter at night, and for this year I doubt we will see freezing temps again so baitcicles are probably not going to cut it.

Need some new ideas, I've seen the buzzards completely strip clean a 10 point buck I found floating in the pond in 2 days so I have to avoid feeding them too.

Back