Baiting

Congratulations Scalloper!
thumbup1.gif
Looks like ya knocked the bone right out of her mouth there.

Dobro- No, I meant try covering the calf up with leaf litter, that deer in the pic. with all the buzzards is history for sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JackindistressQuote: "
Nice Male JID. You just saved 1.87 Springtime Deer Fawns.."

Yeah, I have saved 39.27 since this time last year. Hopefully it will help the deer hunting around here.

Weaponx, are you ready for this big snow? Should be some hungry coyotes once this storm blows through.

Yes I am! It's going be Great!

004-1.jpg

Well, I see you got you a fresh bait pile. Watch out or that dog is going to get it though. If he claims it for his own like he does those coyotes I would just let him have it.

Keep after them coyotes!

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Hsracer, that's a great photo. What model camera do you have?

To be honest I do not remember and I threw away the box. I might have the manual still but either way it is just the $50 Tasco camera found at Walmart. It is set on low quality pictures right now so I can hold more on my memory card. That pic was taken at 1.5 megapixels. It has the option to go to 3.2 I believe.

Originally Posted By: JackindistressWell, I see you got you a fresh bait pile. Watch out or that dog is going to get it though. If he claims it for his own like he does those coyotes I would just let him have it.

Keep after them coyotes!

If that dog went thru the ice...he would be Happy! I chopped a hole in the ice, with a chainsaw, couple years back. He went for a swim....Nothing bothers him!
Got the quad out in the 17" of snow we got. Fetched up my spare deer. Had it at another bait site. Won't be hunting down there, so brought it back with the other carcus,closer to home. This is going be fun!

Good thing I got Maxxis Mudzilla's for tires...those thing bite!

028.jpg

Weaponx,
So you're the one that got the other 7" of snow that I was supposed to get yesterday! We ended up with about 2" of ice and sleet on the fields here. The fields are white and it looks like snow but it is frozen solid. I had my bait covered with a plastic tarp because I knew if it came as much ice and snow as they were predicting there would be no way a coyote could get to the bait through the ice. I went out this morning and chopped the tarps loose and put out more fresh bait at my spot closer to the house.

I put the ice spikes on my boots and chains on the ATV!! I am ready for them!

That is a heck of a nice looking dog you have. Do you take him with you when you are sitting on a bait?

Got another winter prime
rolleyes.gif
coyote off my bait today.

There were two at it this morning but I missed my shot. Around lunch time one came back and my shot was true, true if you discount the 8 inches of wind drift my 55gr. bullet had at 300 yards.
bored.gif
Lets just say I wasn't aiming at her head.
lol.gif

002-1.jpg

My fourth kill of this bait so far. A view from the front of my house, range about 280 yards.

003-1.jpg

Last edited:
weapon-Your Chessie is handsome, happens to be my state's breed of dog. What is "frog-dog's" name?
Sounds like ya'll are up and runn'in after the "big storm"-Go get 'em!

Thanks for all of the kind words. Man, I love deer and duck hunting but this is great. But I must say I find myself lying in bed just waiting for the beeper to go off. It sounds odd but I am having a blast and others tell me Feb-Apr is the best time of year so hopfuly I will be into some more soon. There were more tracks within a mile of my home this morning so with all of this new snow I may have more luck in the next night or two. The coyote that made the tracks today was having a hard time getting around in all of the snow and now we have 12" more sence then.

Originally Posted By: justin10mmGot another winter prime
rolleyes.gif
coyote off my bait today.

There were two at it this morning but I missed my shot. Around lunch time one came back and my shot was true, true if you discount the 8 inches of wind drift my 55gr. bullet had at 300 yards.
bored.gif
Lets just say I wasn't aiming at her head.
lol.gif

002-1.jpg

My fourth kill of this bait so far. A view from the front of my house, range about 280 yards.

003-1.jpg

Great job
thumbup.gif

Man, I was in Iredel TX deer hunting in December what a ausome area. I am trying hard to get back down between now and March to do some coyote calling. I would love to have my set up down where I was hunting you guys are loaded up with coyotes.

Originally Posted By: JackindistressWeaponx,
So you're the one that got the other 7" of snow that I was supposed to get yesterday! We ended up with about 2" of ice and sleet on the fields here. The fields are white and it looks like snow but it is frozen solid. I had my bait covered with a plastic tarp because I knew if it came as much ice and snow as they were predicting there would be no way a coyote could get to the bait through the ice. I went out this morning and chopped the tarps loose and put out more fresh bait at my spot closer to the house.

I put the ice spikes on my boots and chains on the ATV!! I am ready for them!

That is a heck of a nice looking dog you have. Do you take him with you when you are sitting on a bait?

Naa, JID...That dog will go after the 'yotes as soon as he see's 'em. Can't get no shot with him chaseing'em away. Only one time did a 'yote come at him...then it saw me and decided to run away.
Chains are the best in snow. Wish I had a set. The ice underneath the snow 'causes problems. But the "ZILLA'S", work good.....I won't be able to hunt until friday. But it's gonna be on this weekend.....

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterweapon-Your Chessie is handsome, happens to be my state's breed of dog. What is "frog-dog's" name?
Sounds like ya'll are up and runn'in after the "big storm"-Go get 'em!

Hey GG,
The dog's name is Bullit. He's a ,"Life taker and a Heart Breaker"...
That Bullfrog should have been hibernateing.. Funny he was out on the ice. We eat alot of them here. Just not that one.

Nice job, Justin. I like the idea of taking them at longer ranges to minimize human error with having them too close.

What rifle is that?

Back