Baiting

Well, I didn't get a reply to the email that I sent to Jim last night. His web site had a link showing that he had posted a link to a product in his web forum thing "2 days ago" but this morning it is still showing 2 days ago, so not sure if that is even working or not. Still a little concerned about him.

Connie reminded me that her tag line reads "you don't know if you don't go". I decided I better go. I could hear the wind howling before I even opened the door to go outside. I trudged on into the predawn darkness, hoping that something would come into the bait. We have a very dangerous ice and snow storm moving in and I wanted to hunt it one more time before the storm shut everything down.

As it got light enough to see across the field I could see the cow carcass that I had out for bait but it didn't look like anything was around. Then, all at once I saw movement. A coyote was back behind the bait and was partly hidden from my view. I cranked my scope up to 12 power and waited for him to step into the open. He was acting pretty nervous so as soon as the cross hairs settled behind his shoulder I pulled the trigger. I heard the bullet "plop" and he bolted but tumbled within about 30 yards. The 50 grain V-max bullet from the 22-250 center punched him right behind he shoulder. Range was about 150 yards and it is a male.

1-31-coyotepicture1.jpg

1-31-coyotepicture2.jpg

NOAA is forecasting up to an inch of ice and snow on top of that for the next couple of days so I am going to put a tarp over my baits until after the storm. They are telling us to be prepared for extended power outages.

Originally Posted By: JackindistressConnie reminded me that her tag line reads "you don't know if you don't go". I decided I better go. I could hear the wind howling before I even opened the door to go outside. I trudged on into the predawn darkness, hoping that something would come into the bait. We have a very dangerous ice and snow storm moving in and I wanted to hunt it one more time before the storm shut everything down.

As it got light enough to see across the field I could see the cow carcass that I had out for bait but it didn't look like anything was around. Then, all at once I saw movement. A coyote was back behind the bait and was partly hidden from my view. I cranked my scope up to 12 power and waited for him to step into the open. He was acting pretty nervous so as soon as the cross hairs settled behind his shoulder I pulled the trigger. I heard the bullet "plop" and he bolted but tumbled within about 30 yards. The 50 grain V-max bullet from the 22-250 center punched him right behind he shoulder. Range was about 150 yards and it is a male.

1-31-coyotepicture1.jpg

1-31-coyotepicture2.jpg

NOAA is forecasting up to an inch of ice and snow on top of that for the next couple of days so I am going to put a tarp over my baits until after the storm. They are telling us to be prepared for extended power outages.

Nice Male JID. You just saved 1.87 Springtime Deer Fawns..

Quote: "
Nice Male JID. You just saved 1.87 Springtime Deer Fawns.."

Yeah, I have saved 39.27 since this time last year. Hopefully it will help the deer hunting around here.

Weaponx, are you ready for this big snow? Should be some hungry coyotes once this storm blows through.

I didn't make it all night last night like I wanted, but I sat out there forever. Nothing.

At daybreak it was still untouched. I went home for lunch and my bait pile has 15 buzzards and 2 hawks on it. Surely they will devour it pretty quickly.

I hope there will be some luck tonight.

Jackindistress,

That is primo. You must have a bunch of them in your neck-of-the-woods. Even though coyotes are bad news, I kind-of wish we had more here to give me some good hunting opportunities.

Nice job on that one at 150 yards.

I was hoping coyotes would hit my bait during daylight hours like they did last year, but so far it just hasn't happened. Only one yote is coming to the bait, and at night. Maybe I'll get him soon.

Winter storm is moving in here. Power went off about 1/2 hour ago. I had to switch over to my Laptop computer. My internet service is cellular wireless and my Yagi antenna mounted on the roof of my house is covered in ice already. Having trouble keeping and EVDO signal.

From the National Weather Service:
THE GREATEST SNOWFALL AMOUNTS WILL LIKELY OCCUR ACROSS CENTRAL
AND NORTHEAST MISSOURI AND WEST CENTRAL ILLINOIS...WHERE AMOUNTS
BETWEEN 12 TO 21 INCHES INCHES WILL BE LIKELY. ICE ACCUMULATIONS
OF ONE HALF INCH TO ONE INCH ARE LIKELY FOR AREAS SOUTH AND EAST
OF SAINT LOUIS...IN SOUTHEAST MISSOURI AND SOUTHWEST ILLINOIS.

I have to get off of here for now. Will try and get online for a few minutes tomorrow.

Gary- And now "You know". Cool looking yote. Congrats! His color around his neck and face looks like he's got some grey fox mixed in.
I went out and hunted this bait pile where this coon with the scar-like patch across his shoulders has been feasting.
coonwithpatch.jpg

At 8pm he came in to the bait and I shot him off the pile. I gave him a closer look and it appears to be mange. Never seen it on a coon before, just on red fox. It doesn't look or smell anything like the fox I've seen with it. Tomorrow, if I get a chance, I'll take a pic. I didn't want to mess with him tonight especially if he's sick with something.
With a storm on our heels, I expected to see more activity then I did. The bummer of the night was when the tie-up rope on my stand broke as I was lowering my AR down to the ground. I probably knocked my scope all outta whack and here I just sighted it in yesterday
frown.gif
All ya'll affected by this "big storm" be safe and stay as warm as best ya can.

Originally Posted By: JackindistressConnie reminded me that her tag line reads "you don't know if you don't go". I decided I better go. I could hear the wind howling before I even opened the door to go outside. I trudged on into the predawn darkness, hoping that something would come into the bait. We have a very dangerous ice and snow storm moving in and I wanted to hunt it one more time before the storm shut everything down.

1-31-coyotepicture1.jpg

1-31-coyotepicture2.jpg

Great job
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Jackindistress,

That is primo. You must have a bunch of them in your neck-of-the-woods. Even though coyotes are bad news, I kind-of wish we had more here to give me some good hunting opportunities.

Nice job on that one at 150 yards.

I was hoping coyotes would hit my bait during daylight hours like they did last year, but so far it just hasn't happened. Only one yote is coming to the bait, and at night. Maybe I'll get him soon.

Are you sure you want to shoot the last one around? Then what will you hunt?

How come no one else seems to be having the problem with buzzards that I do?

Anything I put out they immediately eat. Would putting bait in the woods cut down on the buzzards? I have a ton of photos of them, but I thought this one was kinda funny.

It's like he's looking at the camera with an attitude and saying "What you looking at? You want some?" lol.

048.jpg

As for puttin your bait in the woods Im gonna try that this weekend. Found a calf that the farmer ditched in a wooded draw that hasnt been touched by the birds. Canine tracks all around it. Gonna move my bait pile about 1/2 mile from the bait pile above so the bussards wont be able to find it so easy...Ill let ya know if they do.

[/quote]
Are you sure you want to shoot the last one around? Then what will you hunt? [/quote]

Yea, that's the bad thing. Once he's gone, there doesn't appear to be any others.

Today I retrieved trail camera photos and no coyote. That's the first time I haven't got photos of him for almost two weeks. My camera is acting up again after I reset it per instructions of Wildgame Innovations, so that may be the problem, but I did get a photo of the red fox.

I have another camera on order and should have it in a day or two, so I'm hoping that coyote is still about. After being fed so good, surely he is still around.

Hsracer, that's a great photo. What model camera do you have?

hsracer- I got buzzards too but nothing like Dobro's got!! I did have a mess a crows tearing one of my piles to pieces but I shot one Sat. and hung it right over top the bait. Not a one on the camera(so far). Dobro, maybe you could try covering the cow with leaf litter to camoflage it for a little while at least.
Went out this evening, got 1 possum before the rain chased me out. I did get pics of the boar I shot last night. If anyone can recognize or "guess" what ailed his skin, that would be great. I usually give my fur animals to a buddy of mine who sells furs, but not this one.
coonshoulder770.jpg

coonshoulder2771.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps a body-grip escapee?? Looks like the skin is scabbed up in the middle? Your fur-buyer friend could prolly tell you if its mange or not. Either way its of little value Im sure.

The carcass in my bussard pic is a deer. Ive decided that adding to that bait pile is just keeping the birds around, and the deer carcass is what attracted them in the first place. Even though Ive gotten the attention of some red fox and coons, the bussards have done a lot of damage. So far theyve eaten 2 whole deer, 8 ribcages, and a roadkilled tomcat in two and a half weeks. So Ill start a new site with just a bait-sicle and some fresh scraps just inside the cover of the woods, on the OTHER SIDE of the farm!. Crows are a problem here too though and travel over the farm all day long.
I did the same thing you did GG, killed a crow and displayed it at the baitpile. Killed two more crows off of it 30 minutes later
cursing.gif

Well,I thought tonight was going to produce and it did. After seeing all the tracks the last two nights in the area I live,I thought tonight may be productive. We are getting a blizzard tomorrow and the last few weeks seem to produce a coyote at my bait before a storm. At 11:30 my beeper went off signaling somthing was at my bait. After fighting with opening my sliding glass door I rested the crosshairs of my AR .223 on the frount shoulder of this small female coyote. Thats number 5 on my bait sence Jan 1st. Not bad
thumbup1.gif

0201112345a95208708.jpg

Back