Baiting

7 Mag now that should work great.
Before I had my 243 wssm I used to use my 30-378 weatherby sometimes because it is fast and flat and a lot of my shots could be long range.I can tell you that a 180gr bullet plants them to the ground.
I think that a lot of our losses come from close range hits and the bullet self distructs to quick(splash).Do we expect to much from the bullets we use(yes)I dont think that a bullet will ever be made to do all things at all ranges and at all velosities.
I have never owned a 223 but did use a rem 17 for a while and moved up to a 22-250 than to the 243wssm and I think I now have a keeper for yote hunting the 243wssm is my go to gun.
I saw a 270 splash on a deer once and it was not good but it was very close and I am sure the wrong bullet type did not help.

Last edited:
I am having better luck with the regular old 55 grain soft point bullets for closer range shots (100 yards and less) over bait.

I think the ballistic tip bullets are a little too fragile at the higher velocities if they hit bone. I hate those head on shots especially at night. There is just too little room for error.

I used to bait back in the day on the farm with dead cows and such, but nothing like this!

You all are the master baiters, I learned a lot from reading this thread -front to back-

keep it up, and please MORE PICS

+1 on the soft points 55gr., but I am going to pick up a couple of boxes of the Hornady Performance this weekend just to try them.

Geez, things have been really slow on stand the last several nights. Not even a "wood rat". The flying squirrels keep me intertained though! My resident red was in for a bite this afternoon-funny how it gets scared of the bait and leaves. (video)

And this resident red is on the other farm I hunt. He calls the orchard "home". . . with belly full. . .
Redfoxinsnow1-27-11.jpg

And a nap! (pic.)
Redsleepinginsnow1-27-11.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6mm06
The coyote continues to come to the bait during the same times of evenings and mornings. This is becoming interesting. He is usually on the bait sometime in the 9:00 PM range and lingers around for a couple of hours, then again from around 4:00 AM to 6:00 AM.

Has anyone else had a coyote pattern like this, or is this one unusual?
Last night I got to looking at some Photos on Bait (Road kill Deer)back when I had my farm. You may see a pattern.
Picture112.jpg
ightsniper52/Picture048.jpg[/IMG]
Picture092.jpg
Picture087.jpg

Last edited:
Picture048.jpg
Picture045.jpg

Notice the time between Fox and Yote. Also thats a 4' chainlink fence,They had to jump it every time to get to the Bait. Most of the activity was 12 midnight and 6:30
mellow.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ScalloperAs I write this I have a eagle in my bait pile right now,how cool is that to look out your window and see a eagle?
Way cool to see but they are not the most respectable birds of prey - such the opportunists and theives they are. Ben Franklin nailed it with his descrition of the bird a long time ago . . way before DDT, of course. A couple of Bald eagle pics. from my game cam.
PICT0122.jpg

PICT0114.jpg

PICT0138.jpg

And an immature Bald eagle. Man, they can devour some bait quickly . .
DSC_0066.jpg

I had to rescue and injured adult male a few years back. Not sure which was more humbling- his razor sharp talons or his piercing eagle stare through those yellow eyes. It was quite an experience.

Great photos, Gobblergetter.

Jeff, that's amazing the yote and fox would jump that fence. I never thought about such things, but good to know they will do it.

Gobblergetter,

He / she is coming to the bait every night for about two weeks. I've been taking it slow and letting it warm up to the site.

This one coyote is all the trail camera has reported, other than a red fox and some skunks. I definitely want to take this one, so just playing it safe right now.

I'm concerned that the distance from my blind to the site may be a bit too far, 137 yards measured. Not sure if the kill light will illuminate enough for a shot, and I sure don't want to spook it and miss. I've been waiting on a mount to attach the light to my AR, not in any hurry since the yote seems to be coming every night.

Today I moved the bait site a bit closer to my blind. I put out some good morsels at 65 yards, cutting the distance in half. Not sure how the coyote might react to that. It might make him more skiddish. I don't have a trail camera on the new site yet, but will soon.

I've also been thinking about night vision lately, reading reviews until I'm about to go blind, and today ordered a Gen 1 scope from Sportsman's Guide. The good thing is it is returnable for full refund if I'm not satisfied. Can't beat that policy, so will give it a try. I know everyone says to go with a Gen 3, or maybe a 2, but if the Gen 1 will work at 65 yards, then hopefully that coytoe will hit the dirt.

Basically I'm in no hurry right now. Taking him with night vision would be primo. Will see how that works out on the range before attempting to hunt him.

For the future, I can see good night vision sitting on my AR.

David

Great thread.Keep up the work guys.On my cousins farm.When the cows die they drag them up the hollow.Been getting some great pics.Bobcats,yotes,racoons.The daytime only crows.In kentucky you can't kill them after dark.The cameras are still out.I am new to this coyote stuff.Been out about 6 times called one in last week and missed rushed the shot.Last week of december,I was walking to the truck from my house.Seen one in my field walked back in got the 7mm magnum.Not a problem 175 yards.I have killed yotes before.But I was deer hunting.They were just victims of circumstance.But when you just hunt for yotes or bobcats.It is a lot harder than,I thought.Keep up the good work guys.I will get past this learning curve soon.Then they have had a bad day.

6mm- Hey, when you get your nightvision scope let me know how that works out . .I'm curious.
From all the claims, the kill light-250 should reach out there to your 137yrd. mark, but I would feel more comfortable to take a shot at 65yrd. myself. Keep us posted-

No eagles on mine but this redtail has been doing his best to fend off the bussards. He spends hours everyday standing on top the bait just to keep the vultures and crows off of it.
SUNP0222.jpg

Two hawks(redtail and falcon?) fighting over the bait..
SUNP0033.jpg

Horned(?) owl that is visiting every night..
SUNP0183.jpg

And a daytime Red. The foxes are hitting it almost every hour thru the night from 6PM to after sunrise. Getting almost 40 pics/night of red fox.
SUNP0208.jpg

I spent two hours on the blind Friday night and watched four fox check out the bait. Walked in on one in the field when I approached and lip-squeaked him in to 35 yards. Lots of fun! No yotes yet on this bait pile though...
Im not sure they are gonna find this bait pile but the spot was too good not to try. All the yotes I have called have been on the north side of the farm, and I suspect that they just dont travel this hollow. Now that bow season is over I can start a bait pile in that area!
On another note, I found a dead calf a few weeks ago that was ditched in the edge of the woods about 400 yds from this baitpile. Hasnt been touched until recently, and after this snow I found just how hard the fox were hitting it. Best part is, being inside the woods a bit, the birds havent touched it! May add a baitsicle and trail cam and see what happens...

Last edited:

Junglekat, welcome to the forums. This is a great place to learn. I still am after several years at it.

Dobro, nice photo of the redtail. The camera got that at just the right time.

Gobblergetter, I'm anxious to see how the night vision scope works. I know it's not the coveted Gen 3, but if it will work at the 65 yard range or maybe up to 100 yards, I'll be happy. I had actually wanted to purchase a Pulsar N550 digital scope that has some good ratings, but it cost around $1400. It is out of stock at Sportsman's Guide, so I settled on an ATN 410 Spartan. I don't know what to expect so this will be a trial run for me with night vision. I found some YouTube posts of the MK 350 that's not too bad, and it's a similar scope to the 410 except for the magnification. Maybe it will be good enough for my purpose. I have looked at scopes on TNVC and they have some good ones, but about $2,000 is the cheapest that would be worth having. I hope to have some good night vision one of these days.

As to the XLR-250, I can see at my 100 yard shooting range, but it's not as bright as I had expected from all the reports I had read. It would really be stretching things at 137 yards, and getting on a coyote after he has been lit up might be a problem.

I don't won't to risk the chance of scaring the yote off. I'm having a lot of fun with just keeping him coming and getting trail camera photos. I want to take him cleanly and that's why I'm just biding my time until I think the conditions of me shooting are right.

The coyote came a bit later one night than others, and yet the following night he came a bit earlier. But at least he is coming every night within a two or three hour time period.

PICT0020-1.jpg

PICT0036-1.jpg

I picked up a freshly hit little buck off the side of my road today. Tore up pretty good but not too badly to use for bait. He was still floppy and warm.

I dragged him out into one of the fields and staked him to the ground with a stake and some chain. I went on and opened him up and rolled some of the guts out so the smell can catch the wind. This is only about a 150 yards from where I called up a yote Friday night so they're in the area.

Gonna wait till midnight and then sit out there all night if I have to.

Thanks for the welcome guys.I have figured out,I am a better deer hunter than a predator caller,Also a better deer hunter than predator hunter over bait.Yotes are a lot tuffer to get when you are just after them.

Back