Baiting

Originally Posted By: CJM045This is certainly a very relevant thread to a lot of us out there working on our first bait sites or refining techniques that are years in the making. It was after reading it (when it was only 10 pages or so) that I decided to stop just lurking and join PM. It's also quite impressive that I was able to read on here a preview of what was going to be in outdoor life magazine from the author himself. It's a great deal of information and I'd just like to say thanks to all who have contributed.

Chris
Welcome to the site.Put this infomation to use and help the Maine deer herd
thumbup.gif

Perhaps if folks started making a new "baiting" thread every day instead of just one big one then it might get its own subforum.

Know what I mean? Get a bunch of threads going in different directions and then it will show a need.

As long as things get contained in one thread there is not, nor probably will ever be, a need for a subforum.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Originally Posted By: JackindistressMaybe we need to start an "email the moderator campaign".
I sent a message to one that is on the board of directors on Jan. 2 asking for a sub forum or at sticky and was told no.

Sent email this evening to Mr. Farish requesting PM's established criteria for sub-forums and "stickys".
gg

No lets not. I like to come to one place and read this info. If the mods do not want to sticky this topic who cares keep this one going and post in it and we can all enjoy this information in a consolidated place as I do.

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterOriginally Posted By: JackindistressMaybe we need to start an "email the moderator campaign".
I sent a message to one that is on the board of directors on Jan. 2 asking for a sub forum or at sticky and was told no.

Sent email this evening to Mr. Farish requesting PM's established criteria for sub-forums and "stickys".
gg

Thank you Mr. Farish! The sticky is most appreciated!!
gg

We all like to call coyotes. There's just something rewarding and special about that. However, here in the East it's not always so easy. Some may do it better than others, some have more coyote populations than others, and some (like me) hunt darn hard to get a few.

I just finished watching Byron South's video today, "When Predators Become Prey." I enjoyed the heck out of that video. It is nice to see coyotes come to the call, and to especially see doubles, triples and even four respond. I realize that Byron doesn't kill coyotes on every stand and probably has a lot of hard hunting to shoot the ones he does, but at least he has a huntable population. While the video is really enjoyable, educational and entertaining, it just isn't how things are here.

I've been baiting "one" coyote for a couple of weeks now. No other coyote has shown up (according to the tail camera), just that one. I've tried calling him two or three times, with no luck. This is why I am interested in baiting, because that may be the only way I can collect just one coyote for the season.

Last year I shot three coyotes after a lot of hard hunting, and two were on bait, but not deliberately placed. Now I realize that I'm no expert, but I also realize that I have enough knowledge to do a reasonable job with calling coyotes. The problem is a lack of coyotes to call, terrain that doesn't allow for good stands, and perhaps some educated yotes at that.

So, baiting may not sound like the primo way to do it, but for guys like me, it may be.

For now I'm seriously thinking about night vision optics, a hunting shed and alert sensor as allowing me to have some good times. I prefer to call, but I'll hunt bait if need be.

thank you Mr. Farish for the sticky, a lot of good information on here. we had a family who run cattle for us when i worked for the coal mine and when he had a cow that he had to put down, we would load it up and put it out in one of our fields, baiting makes for some good hunting on many different kinds predators..

Have you all noticed that after an extended cold spell where your bait is frozen solid, that as soon as there is a warmer sunny day and it thaws quite a bit the coyotes hit the bait earlier in the evening than normal?

I was having a lot of activity from about 11:pm through 4:am and then a cold wave hit and activity at the bait slowed down. The big pieces of bait were froze so solid that I think they gave up on it. Then we had a couple warmer days with sunshine and it thawed the meat a little and they were hitting the bait a lot earlier.

Originally Posted By: Jackindistress+2 on GGs Post! Thank you Mr. Farish.

And, thank you Connie for taking time to write him.
For future reference: Mr. Stu Farish is PM's Directer/WebMaster. His response to my inquiry was subforums/stickys are determined on a case by case basis and "What did I have in mind?" I requested the "Baiting" thread by Cougar Jim be considered do to the fact it has received over 26,000 views and 600+ replies which contains insightful information related to baiting.
Faster than you can say "bait pile" it was stuck as a "sticky"!
Once again, thank you Mr. Farish for recognizing this topic and seeing that a "sticky" was warrented.
thumbup.gif

The coyote continues to come to the bait during the same times of evenings and mornings. This is becoming interesting. He is usually on the bait sometime in the 9:00 PM range and lingers around for a couple of hours, then again from around 4:00 AM to 6:00 AM.

I've not hunted for him yet, just allowing him to get comfortable while I wait for an AR mount to put the XLR 250 on.

I added new photos to my previous post on page 32. Go back and take a look at the dates and times.

Has anyone else had a coyote pattern like this, or is this one unusual?

Man, I wish I had a good night vision scope!!

Originally Posted By: JackindistressHave you all noticed that after an extended cold spell where your bait is frozen solid, that as soon as there is a warmer sunny day and it thaws quite a bit the coyotes hit the bait earlier in the evening than normal?

I was having a lot of activity from about 11:pm through 4:am and then a cold wave hit and activity at the bait slowed down. The big pieces of bait were froze so solid that I think they gave up on it. Then we had a couple warmer days with sunshine and it thawed the meat a little and they were hitting the bait a lot earlier.

They definatly changed up on visiting the bait station here. Thier tracks in the snow are showing that they come up to it, and then come through my yard to chase rabbits. Lot's of rabbits here. This weekend, I will be also ,"changeing up"....Time to get the .22 rifle out. For some close range action.....
Haven't had much time to go out lately. Jim Croce type of thing."The job's a hassle and the kid's with the flu"
But I have not given up........

Last night at 9:46 a coyote came into my bait, after a few minutes of cat and mouse the coyote offered me a quartering head on shot. I put the cross hairs between the neck and shoulder and sent the Hornaday 55 gr .223 Superformance on its way. It dropped then scurried off. Me and my son tracked the coyote last night until 11pm then I went back with snow shoes this morning.I found 12 bloody beds where the coyote bedded down and who knows how much blood while tracking it. After jumping the coyote 4 times this morning and chasing it for 2 1/2 miles(on GPS) across four brooks and falling threw the last one ,with snowshoes on to boot. I gave up. Man,even with the snow shoes on I would still go over my knees in snow at times. This makes three shots this week at my bait pile but only one confirmed kill two wounded badly. It amazes me as to how tough these animals are.

Sounds like it is time to buy a bigger gun with more poop for those shots that are not broadside,how about a 416 Rigby.-LOL
I hate when I lose one like that.

Finaly got my trail cam in the mail and set it out today(Reconyx)also put a road kill deer on the bait pile today and I hope to have some pics soon.

Back