Baiting

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterScalloper- Do the game cams help to narrow down a regular time period for which they come to the bait or do they pretty much run on their own sporatic schedule?
The pictures I was getting on my game camera were very sporatic from 9pm to 7am.I set up two cameras on the same bait and still would not get pictures some of the time so I do know they at times were coming in but I was not getting photos. Many times I would have the bait hit with many tracks in the snow but no photos. I do not have any cameras out now because the coyotes cleaned up the bait pile that was 75 yds from the bait with the motion sensor. I have been seeing allot of bobcat tracks within 1/2 mile from my home I would like to get a shot at a couple of these during the daylight as I can get $100 ea for them.

No yotes on my cam yet but Ive got several fox hitting it every night. Very sporadic and only at night.
Stopped by Lowes to look for one of these sensors but they had nothing. I think its a great idea though! Especially when theres no snow cover to help in spotting movement w/o clicking the kill light on every 10 minutes which Im sure doesnt help!

All Ive got is a natural blind set up. Not much protection from the elements but it hasnt been below 10F here much, so if I get one of these sensors at least I could lay down to reduce movement and get out of the wind a bit...

Helmet for Hunting ?
It finally warmed up and the wind laid so I climbed up in the stand at 6:00pm. this evening. Heard only a few critters scurrying around early, then things got real quiet. About an hour passed so I decided to do some calls. Started out with bird distress-nothing. I had a couple coons showing up on the game cam so I thought I'd try some coon chatter with my Griz-n-Grey call. About 30 seconds into calling, something blind-sided me from the right, right up against my head. The hunting cap I was wearing was gone! I thought I heard something down on the bait pile so I turned on the kill light and caught some eyes just on the far left edge of the beam about 20 yrds. out. There sat a Barred owl on the ground with my hat in its talons! I yelled at the bird while waving my arms; it reluctantly flew off. Thank goodness it didn't take my favorite hunting cap with 'em!! I stayed on stand for another hour or so without my hat, but I had one whallop-aloosy headache for sure. My cap has a tear mark on the bill from one of the owl's daggers. I think I need some personal predator protection - thinking 'bout getting a hard hat now to hunt in!?

gobblergetter,
I would probably have peed right down my leg! I had one almost get me one time. I was bow hunting and I waited until I got in my stand to put my head net on. I shook it to straighten it out and then just as I started to put it on an owl swooped down and just brushed the top of my head. Not a fun thing to have happen 20 feet up a tree!!

I went out about 6:00 this evening and sat until 11:00. I heard some howling two different places and I thought sure the first group would come in to the bait but I never did see them. I howled some later on and then did some distress calls right before I came in but nothing showed up.

I sat until after dark last night, made me a snow fort sort of to aid in concealment. Called with some rabbit sounds, and right as dusk used the female invitation, but no takers. I have a bait pile here also, but like my other spots they come close but not feasting as of yet.

As to seeing a pattern of when the coyote is coming to the bait, I have narrowed it down quite a bit. He has come to the site everywhere from around 7:00 PM to 6:00 AM, however, he seems to prefer the time period around 9:00 PM and from about 4:00 - 6:00 AM.

In the beginning, when he first began to hit the bait, he was coming more sporadicly, but now that he is more accustomed to the site, he is coming in the 9:00 PM time frame, give or take a little.

I'm sure all coyotes probably don't respond the same as this one, but I like the pattern I am seeing.

I'm waiting for a 45 degree Picatinny mount for my AR, then plan to mount the XLR 250 on it and hunt the time frames the yote is coming. My AR has a Mueller Sport Dot 3x10x44 that has an illuminated dot reticle, so I'm hoping that combination will put the coyote on the ground.

Distance from blind to bait is about 137 yards measured, so I have hopes for the XLR 250. I can also see a real need and desire for night a vision scope on a set-up like this. If and when I may ever decide to purchase one, I'm not sure what I can get that would be good enough for a reasonable price, if that's even possible.

I may have fixed the driveway sensor problem. I narrowed it down even more with tape and gave it a try at the bait site this morning. It seems to be working fine now and not going off prematurely.

EVENING PHOTOS - Look at the pattern of dates and times

PICT0054.jpg

PICT0200.jpg

CoyoteJan232011.jpg

PICT0110.jpg

935PM.jpg

841PM.jpg

MORNING PHOTOS

PICT0010.jpg

PICT0031.jpg

502AM.jpg

451AM.jpg

Last edited:
At 4 pm yesterday my wife called and said there were two coyotes at the bait pile and one was huge. My son was home and she said he was very excited as he was trying for a shot. At 5 pm the beeper went off and my son had the gun in the rest and all ready. The coyote came in but back about 80 yds. The coyote stopped and offered him a nice broadside shot. He waited about 1 hr then went out and found blood. This morning me and a friend went out for two hours and followed tracks but could not find the coyote. The blood had allot of brown coloration in it. It seemed as thoe the coyote was running on 3 legs as it broke threw the crust every step. We found two beds where the two coyotes bedded down. There were so many tracks that we could not follow the same tracks so we lost the animal
unsure.gif
but it appears that there has been 2-3 coyotes staying very close to my area for the last 2-3 days. Maybe tonight will be another opportunity.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Cougar Jim I finally got my Truth Cam 60 to work on video. I don't know what I did different. But it works good now but hard on batteries.

When I changed the batteries, the cam lost the date and time. It suppose to have an internal battery to keep that from happening? But it didn't. So the date and time is not right on the video.

Jim

This was Jims last post on here.

I too noticed that Cougar Jim hasn't been on here for a bit. We will all rest better once we know he is ok.

Been ten days since a reply. Hope all is well.

6mm06, I think youve pretty well got that dog on a schedule. 4 nights in a row between 9 and 10 PM....If I was you Id be on the way to the blind right now!!

I hope Jim is OK!
mellow.gif

I just wrote this out and the puter went off line
cursing.gif

So here I go again...I noticed we have 64 pages of Interesting Information that has came from many Brothers and Sisters. I don't know why we cannot make this a Sticky! This Thread is as interesting if not more than "Annual Groundhog Tally" or "You might be a Coyote Hunter" or "Camo Rifle Sponge Tutorial" or "How to Camo net your Rifle"

Maybe the Moderators don't find it Interesting enough? I'l bet if they did it would be.

So lets have a Poll of how many of us on this Thread would like it made a STICKY! Vote by saying YES

Originally Posted By: Wallbass45I hope Jim is OK!
mellow.gif

I just wrote this out and the puter went off line
cursing.gif

So here I go again...I noticed we have 64 pages of Interesting Information that has came from many Brothers and Sisters. I don't know why we cannot make this a Sticky! This Thread is as interesting if not more than "Annual Groundhog Tally" or "You might be a Coyote Hunter" or "Camo Rifle Sponge Tutorial" or "How to Camo net your Rifle"

Maybe the Moderators don't find it Interesting enough? I'l bet if they did it would be.

So lets have a Poll of how many of us on this Thread would like it made a STICKY! Vote by saying YES

YES

I really enjoyed this read! Lots of good info!

Pyro

You know you have aYES from me!

Mr. Moderator: What exactly is the criteria for a thread to become a sticky? Is it based on the subject matter, the number of hits, or the number of replies? Is this information availible somewhere on this forum?
gg

Maybe we need to start an "email the moderator campaign".
I sent a message to one that is on the board of directors on Jan. 2 asking for a sub forum or at sticky and was told no.

This is certainly a very relevant thread to a lot of us out there working on our first bait sites or refining techniques that are years in the making. It was after reading it (when it was only 10 pages or so) that I decided to stop just lurking and join PM. It's also quite impressive that I was able to read on here a preview of what was going to be in outdoor life magazine from the author himself. It's a great deal of information and I'd just like to say thanks to all who have contributed.

Chris

Why does it matter if it is sticky or not? The thread is still alive and quite frequently on the first page, and growing by the day.

I've enjoyed the thread and learned a lot and hope to continue to read it, but it doesn't matter to me if it is sticky or not.

Just saying...

Back