Baiting

Wow. Its been a while since I read this thread. What an awesome amount of success! It was cool to see 6mm06's trail cam shots too.

Someday I will have to give this a try (when I can move out of suburbia)

Got this male off my baitpile last night at 7:35 pm(4 dead hogs for bait)
firstnightkill005.jpg

80 yd shot with 223 Vmax...no hide damage..DRT

At least some of you guys are having some success. I'm still battling motion alert problems.

The coyote is coming to the bait every night, generally within a couple of hours after dark. He apparently lingers in the area and seems to return often, and again in early mornings, from around 4:00 - 6:00 AM.

I put electrician's tape on the transmitter, narrowed down the sensor a bit, but it is still going off prematurely. It works great at the 137 yard distance from blind to bait, but it's just not reliable yet.

Does anyone have suggestions about the sensor, or recommend another one that won't break my walled, one that works?

Looks like I'm going to have to build a shack of some kind to stay in, one that is a bit warmer than the blind. You guys have it made with being able to shoot from your house.

Here are photos from the last two nights. Notice the New Moon in the one photo.

PICT0054.jpg

PICT0093.jpg

PICT0200.jpg

6mm06,
This is about as redneck as you can get without having an old car involved, but here is the shack I have been hunting out of recently. It is just a couple pieces of old paneling covered with a plastic tarp. I have it sitting on a couple of old saw horses to get enough elevation so I can see out over the rise in the field.

It measures about 29" X 38" X 4ft. tall. There is just enough room in it to fit a folding chair and have a little space on one side to sit my pack and small propane heater. It doesn't take much at all to heat it. I needed something quick the other night and that is all I could come up with but it is working.

redneckshack1.jpg

I don't have an alarm on that bait, since it is about 1/4 mile from my house.

Here is a picture of the one I got from that shack last night:

1-22-11-coyote.jpg

I have one shack that is larger and was hard to heat the other day when it was down around -0- so I stapled up some heavy plastic inside of it to partition it off so there was less space to heat. You might try hanging a lightweight plastic tarp inside your hunting blind to partition off a section of it so it would be easier to heat.

I was looking at ice fishing huts the other day and found some nice looking ones that could easily be modified a little to make a coyote hunting shack. Search google and youtube for ice fishing shanty, ice fishing house, etc. for examples.

Originally Posted By: coyoterookieGot this male off my baitpile last night at 7:35 pm(4 dead hogs for bait)
firstnightkill005.jpg

80 yd shot with 223 Vmax...no hide damage..DRT

Nice Male Coyoterookie...We need to change your Handle to something like "Coyotesmasher". "Coyotecrusher"! Keep after them. I wish I had some hog action..Good Luck....

Originally Posted By: Jackindistress6mm06,
This is about as redneck as you can get without having an old car involved, but here is the shack I have been hunting out of recently. It is just a couple pieces of old paneling covered with a plastic tarp. I have it sitting on a couple of old saw horses to get enough elevation so I can see out over the rise in the field.

It measures about 29" X 38" X 4ft. tall. There is just enough room in it to fit a folding chair and have a little space on one side to sit my pack and small propane heater. It doesn't take much at all to heat it. I needed something quick the other night and that is all I could come up with but it is working.

redneckshack1.jpg

I don't have an alarm on that bait, since it is about 1/4 mile from my house.

Here is a picture of the one I got from that shack last night:

1-22-11-coyote.jpg

I have one shack that is larger and was hard to heat the other day when it was down around -0- so I stapled up some heavy plastic inside of it to partition it off so there was less space to heat. You might try hanging a lightweight plastic tarp inside your hunting blind to partition off a section of it so it would be easier to heat.

Shackattack'en 'em huh JID? Good stuff...you 'mos def win the "Change-up Trophy"! You are always thinking and trying new kill Techniques..Makes me think. I like that! Thanks brother.....
Now where is my blue tarps and Ice fishing house???

Jackindistress, I'm definitely hillbilly, with a little redneck thrown in, so liking your shack is not a problem for me. Actually, I like to see innovations that others come up with. It's really interesting. I'd like to see a thread on here about low-cost hunting shacks, stoves etc.

My plan is to build a wood shack, if I can do it without too much money involved. I want it large enough to have a small bunk in it so I can lie down inbetween waiting times. I'm thinkging something on the order of an 8'x10'. But, who knows, plans can be changed and I may come up with yet something else. For now the blind is it.

That is one heck of an ice shack. I could about live in that thing.

My blind is the Ameristep Doghouse and measures 60" square and 68" tall. It's not too bad for room, but I have a hub blind that is larger and that I like better.

Scalloper, I can't access the link you posted since I'm not a member. Do you have a direct link to the Radio Shack alert?

Thanks.

Hey guys, here is a quick set-up, portable blind by Ameristep. I was at Dick's yesterday and got 2 of them. They had them on sale, then a buy one get one free deal. There is actually more room on the inside than I thought it would be. I usually do all my preditor hunting 10' or more off the ground, but I thought these might come in handy for crow hunting, g-hogs, and in a pinch, gobblers. JID, you could probably plop this up on top of your saw horses. Weight is 10.5 pounds and the carry bag can be used like a backpack. Just thought I'd pass it along . . .

S1240002.jpg

S1240004.jpg

S1240003.jpg

S1240001.jpg

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Jackindistress, I'm definitely hillbilly, with a little redneck thrown in, so liking your shack is not a problem for me. Actually, I like to see innovations that others come up with. It's really interesting. I'd like to see a thread on here about low-cost hunting shacks, stoves etc.

My plan is to build a wood shack, if I can do it without too much money involved. I want it large enough to have a small bunk in it so I can lie down inbetween waiting times. I'm thinkging something on the order of an 8'x10'. But, who knows, plans can be changed and I may come up with yet something else. For now the blind is it.

That is one heck of an ice shack. I could about live in that thing.

My blind is the Ameristep Doghouse and measures 60" square and 68" tall. It's not too bad for room, but I have a hub blind that is larger and that I like better.

Scalloper, I can't access the link you posted since I'm not a member. Do you have a direct link to the Radio Shack alert?

Thanks.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3882712

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterHey guys, here is a quick set-up, portable blind by Ameristep. I was at Dick's yesterday and got 2 of them. They had them on sale, then a buy one get one free deal. There is actually more room on the inside than I thought it would be. I usually do all my preditor hunting 10' or more off the ground, but I thought these might come in handy for crow hunting, g-hogs, and in a pinch, gobblers. JID, you could probably plop this up on top of your saw horses. Weight is 10.5 pounds and the carry bag can be used like a backpack. Just thought I'd pass it along . . .

S1240002.jpg

S1240004.jpg

S1240003.jpg

S1240001.jpg

I have one just like it,I hunt deer mostly on rainy days. Its very comfortable but not sure if I could keep it warm in cold temps.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06

Thanks.
Thats my plan as well. A 8X10 with a bunk and carpet on the floor. I will set up my shooting bench inside with a small shooting window on one end and a door on the other. Man there are some lakes around here I could set up on and I know I could wack-um

Originally Posted By: ScalloperOriginally Posted By: 6mm06

Thanks.
Thats my plan as well. A 8X10 with a bunk and carpet on the floor. I will set up my shooting bench inside with a small shooting window on one end and a door on the other. Man there are some lakes around here I could set up on and I know I could wack-um
A "not-so-dumb-as-you-think" question coming: Why would you need a bunk if you are hunting??? Sleeping, naping, resting and mak'in hay . . . . but hunting? Just curious.

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterOriginally Posted By: ScalloperOriginally Posted By: 6mm06

Thanks.
A "not-so-dumb-as-you-think" question coming: Why would you need a bunk if you are hunting??? Sleeping, naping, resting and mak'in hay . . . . but hunting? Just curious.
Great question. Around here the coyotes can come to a bait from 9pm-4am so we set up the wireless motion sensor and turn on the heater (could be -20 here tonight) and rest until the beeper sounds,this way we dont need to watch endlessly for hours for nothing.

Scalloper- Do the game cams help to narrow down a regular time period for which they come to the bait or do they pretty much run on their own sporatic schedule?

i set up a bait pile last Wednesday with a lot of deer meat that had gone bad in my freezer, i also set up a old 35mm trail cam on it. it is on a dead end road that runs in front of my family's old farm house. went out tonight to pick it up and all kinds of tracks where they had been up there eating. well come to find out that the camera was on test mode so i didn't get any pictures.....
cursing.gif
oh well looks like it is time for another baitsicle and set it up right this time

Back