Baiting

Congrats Scalloper!
thumbup1.gif
Looks like your whole set up is working well for you.

Beeper goes off at 1:30, coyote shot at 2:05 - Geeze, what did you do fix sausage, biscuits and gravy for breakfast before you went and shot him? LOL.........Just kidding Scalloper!!!

That is a nice looking coyote. Congrats on getting him. What kind of light do your have on your rifle?

Originally Posted By: JackindistressBeeper goes off at 1:30, coyote shot at 2:05 - Geeze, what did you do fix sausage, biscuits and gravy for breakfast before you went and shot him? LOL.........Just kidding Scalloper!!!

That is a nice looking coyote. Congrats on getting him. What kind of light do your have on your rifle?

LOL, he held back for 25 min. And when he did come in he would run in circles and then run out,very nervous.

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterCongrats Scalloper!
thumbup1.gif
Looks like your whole set up is working well for you.
They are still very reluctant about coming to the bait,compaired to other baits in the area. Its been 20 days sence they would come right to this bait,they would come to within 30-40 feet and howel and bark seemingly frusterated. We are getting 12-14" of snow today then we are going into sub zero temps for a few days. That may help out.

Seems the coyote at my place is beginning to warm up to the bait a bit. He is still skiddish, but not as much as before.

I got some good photos the other night, plus a red fox and skunk. The coyote appears to be the same one as before.
The camera at this point is doing better, don't know why. It had 45 photos and only one was pink.

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0019-1.jpg

PICT0031.jpg

PICT0035.jpg

PICT0036.jpg

Nice bunch of pictures. Fly tyers would like that black skunk. Scalloper this snow and cold we are getting is going to help us. I have a big field and the coyotes have been more intested in the mice lately rather than the bait. They will be digging soon.

Originally Posted By: Redfox AdventuresNice bunch of pictures. Fly tyers would like that black skunk. Scalloper this snow and cold we are getting is going to help us. I have a big field and the coyotes have been more intested in the mice lately rather than the bait. They will be digging soon.
Yip,it should help. At 3am this morning my beeper went off so I waited for it to go off again but it did not. Not sure what that was all about buy I will go out and check for tracks and see whats up. Man,looks like we are going into a deep freeze. WOW

Originally Posted By: TrailsEndTomCongrats Scalloper! Nice coyote.
Thanks,its quite a eye opener to here that beeper go off in the middle of the night. Man I was pumped and it worked out.

Scalloper,
When that beeper goes off get to your shooting window as quick as you can. I have had them come in and grab a scrap of meat run back out of the alarm area, so the alarm only beeps once. Of course once in a while you will have a false signal caused by a leaf or something blowing in front of the sensor.

They do that here as well,but most of the time they come back in after another bite. This weather will get the best of them,man this is getting tough my dogs are having a tough time getting around in this much snow. I have 3 55gal drums of bait on this pile so they can come as much as they want
thumbup1.gif
because with 3 more months of tough weather the chances are that they will end up on my fleshing beam or some will. 3 winters ago most of Maine had upto 14' of snow on the ground at one time. The bioligest told me they found coyotes that died from starvation. I have noticed that they have been hunting all day in the last week or so.

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterXLR-250 arrived today! Her batts are in the charger as I type. Scalloper- yours come? Not yet I live 3 days from nowhere so it may be awhile LOL. I got a email that said its been shipped.

Originally Posted By: justin10mmWow! Thirty pages and still going.

So are we going to get a new 'Baiting' forum or what?
confused.gif

Man thats one nasty lookin coyote in your avatar.

I got another coyote tonight. I wanted to be in my north shooting shack before daylight this morning because I put out fresh bait up there Monday and they have been feeding on it. I woke up this morning with a head cold and felt like crap so I didn't make it up there.

Today was the last day of rabbit season and I wanted to take the dogs out at least for a little while. We took off about 9:AM but the snow was deep enough that they weren't having much luck working a track so I slipped up over the hill to where I could see my north bait and there was a coyote there eating. I had the shotgun so he was out of range.

I sat on that bait until an hour after dark the other evening and then went back about 9:00PM to haul up a fresh bottle of propane for the heater. They had been feeding on the bait sometime between the time I left and when I returned with the propane. I made it back up there this evening about an hour before sundown and waited until dusk and nothing had showed up so I howled but nothing answered. About 30 minutes after dark there was a pair howling west of me and another one off to the north west howling. I answered them and they howled back so I just shut up and waited. Another 30 minutes passed and the pair to the west of me howled again and I howled back with a single howl.

I was pretty sure they were working their way towards the bait that I was sitting on and I didn't want to call too much so I decided to just wait. I checked the time – it was almost 8:pM. All at once a coyote comes busting out of the brush and runs right out into the mowed CRP where the bait is. I had some small pieces of deer bones scattered around the main bait and he stopped at one of those. I couldn't quite see through my scope good enough to shoot him without the light so I got him in the scope and pushed the switch on the XLR250. When the light came on the cross hairs were centered on his body and I squeezed the trigger before he had time to react to the light. The 55 grain soft point from the 223 dropped him DRT.

I will post pictures of the setup tomorrow.

Crap, I totally forgot to update this thread from my post last weekend.

I got a fox off my bait pile one night the early part of this week. I was calling near the pile and the grey was coming towards my call but got distracted by the scent (I'm guessing) and waltzed on over and gave me a shot.

Back