Baiting

The guys that run yotes with hounds around here sware by the Heavy Shot Dead Coyote T shot. They claim to pile them up at 75 yds. Hard to belive but they are honest guys and shoot 70+ a year with the hounds.

A couple years ago I also put out a couple hogs. Worked them over good with an ax and had deer piled up with them. The coyotes would stand on the hogs and eat deer meat. When in April,3 months later,a bear ate the hogs. I was told it is because of all the chemicals in the feed that turns off coyotes.

Great topic. I love all the info on baiting. Some questions does anyone use fish for bait? How much bait to water is in a bait popsicles?

This is a pic of a Fisher I got last year on my baitpile.
Im000005a.jpg

TET- I have used fish before like Carp (large fish with tough scales). The coons and possums seemed to be drawn to it alright but not so much the fox. Really can't blame them!
Great pic. of the fisher. What is the average weight of one of those? Is the one in the picture about what you'd call average size? I know squat about fishers and am curious to learn. thanks.

Last edited:
The fisher in the pic is average size. Females go 3 to 8 lbs. with some males at 10 to 18 lbs. That is quite a size range. Fishers are one of the few mammals that prey on porcupines. They can be quite nasty. It is also very cool to see them in the wild. The NYSDEC released them in the Catskills in the 80's, and they have been expanding in population ever since.

Hogs work great for bait, but you have to skin them out or at least peal the hide back so the Yotes and fox can get at the meat. Otherise the skin is like rawhide and they can't get to the meat and they won't bother with it and it will rot......

The new X6C camera got a red and gray fox video, plus a skunk within the last two nights. No coyotes. I also had several "pink" videos, so it's not just with stills. I phoned Wildgame Innovations today and was instructed to return the camera for an exchange. Sounds like good service already.

Here's the skunk video.

Originally Posted By: TrailsEndTomThe fisher in the pic is average size. Females go 3 to 8 lbs. with some males at 10 to 18 lbs. That is quite a size range. Fishers are one of the few mammals that prey on porcupines. They can be quite nasty. It is also very cool to see them in the wild. The NYSDEC released them in the Catskills in the 80's, and they have been expanding in population ever since.
Why did the state release fishers? Low population or to control a population of something else? Are you allowed to hunt/trap them? If so, is there a bag limit? Sorry for all the questions . . .
blushing.gif

Originally Posted By: ScalloperI have had guys tell me the same thing about calves,coyotes will not eat them because of to many chemicals.
Coyotes will eat garbage, I don't think they are too worried about whether a calf has been implanted or not.

GG
Fisher's were present in the Adirondacks but not the Catskills and the DEC felt it was a good match for the Catskills. They also felt it would help control porcupines, which can kill trees from eating the bark. You can trap them and there is no limit. You cannot hunt them.

Originally Posted By: TrailsEndTomGG

I would say there are fewer around now. I see at least 1 each year.

One/year 'taint bad. I work for our local Natural Resource Div. and it's always good to hear what other states are doing in the form of conservation and preservation and even better news if it works! Thank you.

Originally Posted By: .223coyoteOriginally Posted By: ScalloperI have had guys tell me the same thing about calves,coyotes will not eat them because of to many chemicals.
Coyotes will eat garbage, I don't think they are too worried about whether a calf has been implanted or not.

it is the medicine that they give the calves in an effort to save them from the illness that eventually kills them. it takes 3 to 4 weeks before the coyotes will feed on them. still born calves work the best.

Anyone know how to keep these critters away??
When I was a kid on the farm my grandma told me if I hung up a dead crow in plain sight it would keep the crows away. Dont recall if it ever worked or not, but I wonder how these guys would react....Too bad the bastard 's are protected!
SUNP0007.jpg

Back