Coyote hunting from a ground blind?

Leon86

Anyone hunt coyotes / fox from a ground blind?? My choice of hunting areas right now consist of long (1000yds probably) stretchs of flat open field (River on 1 side, woods to the other) and I was considering a ground blind setup to hunt the open field (put the blind just inside the tree line on the river side and try to call them into the field)

I know with coyotes being predators that they are truely masters of there surroundings and will generally notice any odd structures in there area but I was just curious if anyone uses a tactic such as this or if it would be like waving my arms around and jumping up and down. I have not bought a blind for this purpose yet which is why I am asking before I spend the money.

I am new to this so I'm just trying to get an idea before I go spending money that I will later find I should have put elsewhere.

Last edited:
Well, It depends on the Area. Around here, ground blinds are a good choice and many people use them. If you can get in the setup quietly and Set the blind up, thats the best way. So, yea. I would say buy one.

if your not going to make very many stands it would be a good option.....but if ur going to make multiple stands it might hurt more than it would help.....also with predators u never know where they will come from and a blind might limit your fiel of view

Casey

Last edited:
We have one that is used to hunt deer out of. Coincidentally, it is in a pretty good spot to call as well. I got in it Wednesday with the intention of calling out of it. I didn't like the limited view I had, so I sat in front of the blind instead. Hunting from a ground blind really limits your field of view...not a good thing when you are predator hunting.

Last edited:
I don't / won't have any permanent stands for a good while so maybe it would be a good idea.... thanks for the info guys... anyone else?

I hunt from ground blinds quite a bit. They are nice when the weather is cold or if you have young hunters that fidget around too much for sitting in the open.

I have one permanent ground blind that I called and killed 5 coyotes from last winter.

Don't expect to have much luck calling them out into a wide open field though. Calling them into a field of corn stalks or a field that has something for cover works a lot better.

Originally Posted By: 220_SwiftMight think about a Gillie suit.

+1.....I used to wear a Ghillie I made but have since purchased some 3-D cammo.....All I have to do is lie down and watch.....

It will have wheat grass and/or corn stalks during the spring/summer months and be mowed down pretty low during the fall/winter months - it is basically a managed bird hunting area that has a few too many yotes running around and ruining the population for the bird hunters among other things. Sounds like I will be purchasing a blind then - if all else fails I'll use it for deer season.

Thanks for the help guys, excellent info here.

Last edited:
I have 1 of those pop up tent type ground blinds.
When I first got it it had an oder to it.
So I set it outside and let the baby goats play, pee and
crap on it for a few weeks. Now it still has an oder to
it but a natural animal type oder.

I think maybe a Ghillie is the way to go as well if you deem it necessary to add anything. I also have one of those pop up ground blinds like RJ was mentioning, it definately didn't hurt, I just got tired of carrying it around. If you have more patience than me for things like that, might be a good option. I just try and keep things simple.

Chupa

Suppose I should clarify a little...the blind I was using is a camo tent with a little window that unzips for you to look and shoot out of. Again, I don't care for them to coyote hunt out of...you have next to no peripheral vision.

Less time setting up and clearing out of a stand equals more time for more stands. I wouldn't mess with it, but if I only had a limited area to make a few stands I'd give it a shot.

Nate

Back