Baiting

coyoterookie,
You have some good bait there! If you ever get the chance to pick up a hog before they are frozen, skin it out at least part way and stake or tie the hide down so they can get to the fat on it. If everything else is frozen solid they will return to eat the fat off the hide.

I bet you are going to kill some coyotes off that setup.

Originally Posted By: coyoterookie
baitcoyote1152011009.jpg

Last night from the game camera at the bait pile.....I should have been out there hunting...lol

Dude...soon as I read that you had those hog's..I said to myself,"self..I would be out there as soon as you put them there"!. Those things work too well! Every now and then I get some. Within hours...they are coming....Brother...If you are any kind of a shooter..you should be able to wipe'em out. Take a camera..you're gonna need it.

Thanks Dannyk...
Thanks David...
Thanks GG...And you are right..no matter how many it takes to bring down...It's all good...

Originally Posted By: Jackindistressweaponx,
Nice looking coyote. Were you sitting in the shooting house or outside in the cold?

Hey JID..
I must admit..it's too easy sitting in a house, shooting out a window.Lol.. But brother...it work's..If it 'aint broke type of thing..Haha..

But I have been keeping an eye on you. You have been knocking the crap out of them lately! Fine work!

Hey JID..
I must admit..it's too easy sitting in a house, shooting out a window.Lol.. But brother...it work's..If it 'aint broke type of thing..Haha..

I hear ya man. Fun stuff for sure. Looks like you drilled that one with the 22-250.

gobblergetter told me to keep popping them like popping corn so I have been trying not to disappoint her. LOL

I'll be spending more time calling starting this week. They should be responding to howls now. I usually start killing bigger males beginning about the middle of Jan.

I finally got my Truth Cam 60 to work on video. I don't know what I did different. But it works good now but hard on batteries.

When I changed the batteries, the cam lost the date and time. It suppose to have an internal battery to keep that from happening? But it didn't. So the date and time is not right on the video.

Jim

Last edited:
Hey guys check out February's issue of Outdoor Life Magazine. There is a two page section on baiting coyotes. Let me know if you recognize the guy there talking about.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterYes, maybe 5 feet away, if that. It's just odd that only the coat is white.
UV perhaps? I have read that K9's and ducks see color differently then we do. If that is what some camo looks like thats why I get busted in my duck blind when I where my newest jacket. I swear they see that 1 mile away. And its camo. I got a picture of my sons girlfreind at one of my bear bait sites after see shot her bear this fall. It was getting dark but man that jacket she was wearing glowed like yours bright white.

Originally Posted By: midwestkidI have tried a dead hog on a bait pile with road kill deer. They never once touched the hog only the buzzards would.
The guys in TX I hunted with said the same thing,hogs rot and the yotes eat the deer right up.

I finally got some action on camera at the site. Photos were less than great, but at least I know a yote was there. I've been seeing a few tracks lately but finally got him on camera.

The coyote appeared to be afraid of the camera. He kept looking at it in several photos. He never did come up to the bait, but mingled around the area for about 35 minutes.

I got 55 photos and over half were either pink, green or some combination of colors. I plan to contact Wildgame Innovations Monday to see what is going on. I reset the camera today to video to see how that might work.

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0010.jpg

PICT0019.jpg

PICT0020.jpg

6mm06,
Those pictures that you posted look good to me. Hopefully the company will get you taken care of so the camera works right all the time.

I can also tell from the tracks in the snow around my baits that the coyotes come near the bait a lot more often than they actually come right up to it.

I had several other photos, with these being the best. At least it tells me a yote was there, but something is not right with the camera with all those blank photos of various colors.

If I can correct the color deal, then the camera is not bad for $116 delivered to my door.

Here is a daytime photo.

Hawk.jpg

David,
I feel kinda bad your camera doesn't do what you want it to do..Since I suggested it to you. Try and turn it to video, and see what happens. And yes, call Wildgame. The guy that answers for me in very knowledgeable. Not that I have had any problems. I would call for stuff like warranty info.

Also maybe think about getting NEW SD cards. 4gb being the biggest. Good luck..

Not to worry, Matt. That's the way trail cameras are. Some work great and others have issues. I think they are all that way, or at least most of them are.

I once recommended another brand trail camera to a friend and he had nothing but troubles with it, then he purchased another one and got the same problems. Yet, my son and I have had great experiences with them.

I really like the looks of the X6C and the way it operates. Most of the day-time photos are really good stuff, and the night stuff is not bad, just a bit blurred when the yote moves around. It's a great buy and serves the purpose of letting me know what is coming to the bait.

Monday I plan to call the company and see what's going on with it. Right now I have it set to video and am anxious to see how that might work. If I can get the pink and green photo issue straightened out, I'll be quite satisfied and may even purchase another one.

I have read trail camera reviews on-line until I'm about to go blind. Seems that just when I have found a camera that is good, I find reviews that say it isn't. It's really hard to know what to get, within a decent price range.

David

This may sound and seem,"not possible"..But, The more I shoot at 'yotes,the quicker more show up. And within 10 minutes of the shot...The only thing I can fiqure out is, we do alot of Duck\goose hunting here.And with steel shot being CRAP! We wound and don't retreive alot of birds.

Last night was fairly crazy hunting over bait.I had a coyote 15 feet, straight down out the window. I shot with my new "superfull" choke that I bought. 3" Mag\15 pellets.
I quess it was too close and I shot the corner of the lower roof off!Lol...Then 10 mins. later, here comes one running to the house and I took a running shot and wounded it. Found blood but no dog. Then 15 mins. later...here come 2 more at a dead run towards the house. I got one to stop at 30 yards. Blasted it with the 12ga. and it also runoff bleeding...Don't get me wrong...this is alot of fun! I switched to 00 buck. All I know, is 00 buck would drop me if I was hit with it!

Anyway...I'm going out tonight...And I'm going to start the hunt with a shot in the air! And get ready to try it again...

Originally Posted By: weaponxThis may sound and seem,"not possible"..But, The more I shoot at 'yotes,the quicker more show up. And within 10 minutes of the shot...The only thing I can fiqure out is, we do alot of Duck\goose hunting here.And with steel shot being CRAP! We wound and don't retreive alot of birds.

Anyway...I'm going out tonight...And I'm going to start the hunt with a shot in the air! And get ready to try it again...

Keep your head inside, no tellin' what might fall out of the night sky up there!!
lol.gif

Good luck on 'em tonight!!

Originally Posted By: weaponxThis may sound and seem,"not possible"..But, The more I shoot at 'yotes,the quicker more show up. And within 10 minutes of the shot...The only thing I can fiqure out is, we do alot of Duck\goose hunting here.And with steel shot being CRAP! We wound and don't retreive alot of birds.

Last night was fairly crazy hunting over bait.I had a coyote 15 feet, straight down out the window.I shot with my new "superfull" choke that I bought. 3" Mag\15 pellets.
I quess it was too close and I shot the corner of the lower roof off!Lol...Then 10 mins. later, here comes one running to the house and I took a running shot and wounded it. Found blood but no dog. Then 15 mins. later...here come 2 more at a dead run towards the house. I got one to stop at 30 yards. Blasted it with the 12ga. and it also runoff bleeding...Don't get me wrong...this is alot of fun! I switched to 00 buck. All I know, is 00 buck would drop me if I was hit with it!Anyway...I'm going out tonight...And I'm going to start the hunt with a shot in the air! And get ready to try it again... WeaponX: What Shot size are you using in that 3" shell? Have you patterned your new choke? If its OO buck I think it might be to tight. Try some 4 Buck or BBs,More shot for a Pattern. Kill them dont wound them you owe it to the Yote!
smile.gif

Back