Baiting

There are a few guys around here that are having far better luck then I am hunting from a bait at their home the same way that I have posted on page 15. There is one guy that shot two on wed night. He said they normaly come out between 10pm-2am. About 9:45 a red fox came to the bait and he just watched it,he said he never bothers a fox because they tell him when the coyotes are near. Then he said the fox bolted at 9:50pm and a female coyote came out then the male came out and drove her off of the bait.Which he said is typical sence he never sees two coyotes feeding at the same time. After a very short time the male took off chasing the fox, which was over 100 yds away. When the male laft the bait the female came right back in. He then shot the female. At 10:05 the male was howling for the female and continued until 10:10 when he showed up at the bait. He also was shot. This guy has called and baited and shot 100's of coyotes in Maine sence the mid 70's he does very well in comparison to the rest of us. He has a photo of a big Maine coyote shot last week by another hunter that weighed 51 lbs. I will try to get a photo.

Ok, I have another question and I know it is a stupid one because elements vary.

A buddy of mine killed a doe this evening on an urban archery permit (those run through Feb, so it's legal, no worries). I should have a fresh gut pile and a carcass in an hour or two.

How long do you think it would takes the yotes to find it if I know they are hanging out within a 600-700 yard radius of where I'm gonna put it? I always hear them there so it's safe to say they are still there. I figure their noses are pretty keen, but I'm trying to guestimate if I should hunt it immediately after putting it out or wait 2 to 3 hours, or more? Reckon they will find it on the first night?

It's not a common occurance to get a gut pile this time of year so I don't want to let it go to waste. I will hunt over it tonight until I freeze my toes off if I have to but I would rather have some sort of idea. That's where it gets to the subjective part, but that's why I tried to qualify the statement with them being less than 700 yards away.

Any ideas?

NY Yote hunter,
Yep, howling is effective at a bait site, especially this time of year. Often they don't howl back before they come in to it though. If they answer and don't come in, at least you have a better idea of where they were at that time. When calling from a bait site I do call sparingly though. If they are close by and defending their food, they usually show up pretty fast.

hsracer201
Try to keep as much human oder off of the guts as you can,at least around here they will not toutch it at times. No cig buts tobaco spit and things like that.

hsracer201,
You never know how long it is going to take them to be comfortable coming in to a bait once you put it out. The biggest thing of course is human scent on the meat from it being so recently handled. You can eliminate some of that by wearing rubber gloves when you skin and process the meat. Also you have to deal with the scent from your shoes when you put the bait out.

I have had them start eating on a fresh gut pile in as little as a few hours and sometimes it takes a few days. One thing you have going for you is that it is not frozen and they will be able to smell it for quite a distance.

If you put it out tonight I would for sure be back on it before daylight tomorrow if at all possible.

Originally Posted By: Brian DownsWallbass45 here is a link to it. using an air compressor to skin coyotes.
http://www.arshunt.com/arshunt/201006#pg14

Brian, that was awesome.
thumbup1.gif
thumbup1.gif

In the summer months, I put out groundhogs that we shoot. I always put them in the same place, and they are usually gone with no trace within two nights, sometimes by the first night.

I had one trail camera video clip of a coyote carrying off the groundhog in it's mouth. Somehow I have misplaced the video file on that one as I had intended to post it to YouTube.

Boar on Bait
Shot this old fella tonight at 8:15 in balmy 27 degrees. Have been watching him come in regularly via game cam. Tonight was his last photo op.
smile.gif

Battle wound on front right foot and the tip of the right ear torn off. Might weigh this one out tomorrow.
CoonwithAR-15.jpg

Have a camera question: My game cam took this picture tonight. The hunting coat I wear is camo the same as the pants. So why would just my coat show up white? Weird.
PRMS0356.jpg

My camera did the same, some clothing showed up white. Perhaps it's the IR.

Nice going on the 'coon. At least you are having some success. Things are very slow here.

I did make two stands of calling this evening, but got nothing. I did see fresh coyote tracks on the farm, but the yotes are smart and not a pushover for responding to a call.

gobblergetter,
Nice job on the masked bandit !!

Were you pretty close to the camera in the picture where your coat is not showing up as camo? I have had my camera do that when an animal or myself was close to the camera.

Went out saturday morning:12:30 am.
I just got set-up, sat down an relaxed. Wind was blowing in my face. And to the dog's direction too.(I use him as an alarm. He's in the pen behind me).
He starts barking and this not-so-little, female comes trotting out at 30 yards....Video of last night, while I was working...

010-3.jpg

Popped it with 12 guage\4buck. She goes down, but drags herself through the snow to get away. I pop her again...doesn't faze her. So I then finish her off with 22.250. No,there is no scope on the Rem 12\wingmaster. And no...I don't need shooting lesson's... Been at this hunting thing for 40 year's...I think I need a X-FULL Choke.

I have never had this much trouble anchoring 'yotes before. I'm starting to think that the manufacturers of Remington shotshells, are not putting enough powder in thier products. It's like someone has complained about too much kick. And they are deliberatly dialing down the shells! It's torqueing my sphincter!

Jim, Where I live in the UP of Michigan baiting is a very effective way of killing a coyote due to heavy cover and less than optimal numbers of yotes.

I keep a "boneyard" out back behind my house and have the spotting scope in my bedroom pointed right at it!

I have found however that the yotes visit the bait primarily after dark.

I have killed coyotes by trapping them, snaring them, shooting them over bait and by calling them in.

I thouroghly prefer calling over any other method that I have used, there is just something about having a coyote respond to the call that nothing else can compae with.

I guess Im not into it for damage control, just for the pure enjoyment of being in the woods and moving around and hoping that a predator of some kind responds to my febile attempt at sounding like a dying critter that may taste good.

Ive had pine marten, fisher, racoons, otter along with many deer respond to the call .. you just never know what may come check ya out and that what I am absolutley obsessed with.

But if the weather is terrible and the wind is stong, Ive never been above going back to one of the baited shacks and sitting there drinking a coffee and waiting for old wil-e-coyote to step out.. just gets me out of the house!!

I have a swine breeding operation down the road, and I get newborn piglets, placenta and it works great. Yesterday the gave me 4 100 pound dead sows...put em out...didn't hunt last night. I will let you know how it works out, and today i will shoot some photos of my bait pile.

Nice video weaponx. Coyoterookie, looking forward to the photos, but, instead of shooting the photos, shoot the vermin that come to it.

Last edited:

Screech, You pretty much summed up my feelings too. I'd rather call them anyday, but that doesn't come easy here. I hunt hard to get a few.

Sitting in a blind, drinking coffee and just being out of the house is not half bad. I haven't scored on a coyote that way yet, but it's kind-of nice nonetheless.

Jeff, I've done a bit of crow sniping this winter, added about three kill scenes to the video.

WeaponX, good job on the coyote and video.

Back