Baiting

Here is a picture of mine mounted to my 22 Mag.

Jim

Miscforsale023.jpg

What I like about it is, it is a powerful light but very small.

I bought two extra batteries because I can always have a charged battery ready.

Jim

Last edited:
Jim-
S1190016.jpg

Not sure what I'm gonna do yet with the 250 light. I really want to see for myself in side/side comparison how each light works. My Lightforce has a reostat which I really like but the size of the Lightforce is HUGE. Question: Can the lightbeam of the 250 be lowered if need be? Often I hunt in close quarters and I like the ability to tone down the light.

Originally Posted By: JackindistressOriginally Posted By: Wallbass45Originally Posted By: ScalloperI am having trouble getting the coyotes to come into the light. The guys in this area said "they will come when they get acustome to the light" but the way I see it I am missing oppertunities. They have been coming to within 30-35 feet on my set-up for 10 days.
I read a artical in Trapper and Predator caller Dec 2010 by Andrew Lewand. he belives that predators see LED light less. So, where can I get a 110v LED flood light? Thanks Yotes don't like to be seen,they like the dark. Get yourself a Red Light and when they are on the Bait turn it on and Plug them.
lol.gif

Works for me. Plugged this one early this morning when she came in to the bait. Lit her up with the XLR250 Red LED and shot her with the 223. Distance was 182 yards checked with range finder.

1-13-coyote-picture1.jpg

1-13-coyote-picture4.jpg

That makes number 3 for the XLR250 in 7 days.

JID- You are just the "early bird fur buster". Congratulations!
thumbup1.gif
Keep popp'in 'em like corn.

gobblergetter,
The XLR250 doesn't have any brightness adjustment. It isn't nearly as bright as your Lightforce when you have the rheostat turned all the way up on it though. I haven't used mine any closer than about 75 yards. If you thought it was too bright I imagine you could find a scope flip cover and color the lens on it to make it dimmer if you needed to.

Boondock-outdoors posted down in the night hunting section that they are running a little behind on getting orders out but hopefully you will have yours soon.

The smaller light sure makes the gun easier to handle.

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterOriginally Posted By: ScalloperI ordered my XLR250 last week but I have not received it yet.
Good thing we ordered when we did, the lights went up in price today = $139.00 for the 250.
ohmy.gif

Great,I have not seen a statement yet so we may be charged the new price.

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterJim-
S1190016.jpg

Not sure what I'm gonna do yet with the 250 light. I really want to see for myself in side/side comparison how each light works. My Lightforce has a reostat which I really like but the size of the Lightforce is HUGE. Question: Can the lightbeam of the 250 be lowered if need be? Often I hunt in close quarters and I like the ability to tone down the light.
Man,you dont mess around
thumbup1.gif

Well the coyotes dont like my red light so today I bought a LED flood light bulb. After reading the artical in T&PC I decided to change the bulb. They may come in later when the snow gets deeper and it gets colder but I am missing oppertunities right now. All I realy need to do is buck-up and spend $2500-$4000 on a NV scope and then game on.
These are some of my latest freinds that thus far have managed to keep their pritty fur coat.
HUNT0001.jpg

HUNT0004.jpg

HUNT0005.jpg

HUNT0012.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

But now we have another 12-14" of snow and the bait that these pictures were taken on is gone and has been the coyotes are just stoping by when they are in the area. Just 100 yds to the SE under the pritty light and there is plenty to eat for them.

Scalloper, if its any comfort I have a bait on the tranmission line with no light on it, private property the only activity there is a couple of snowmobiles on the weekend just traveling through, or myself checking on the bait. The bait has been there since November 29th, has been refreshed with road kill deer and baitsicles. Not a coyote has touched it, only ravens and a red squirrel and a weasel. I saw my first coyote tracks close to it today, the coyote came about 20 yards from the pile but no taker. I'm bummed. Just to the south of the pile like a quarter of a mile lots of coyote sign.

Well, I hate it that you guys aren't having many on the bait, but the same is true for me. One coyote half-circled the bait and that is all the activity I've had, not even crows. I don't understand it.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Well, I hate it that you guys aren't having many on the bait, but the same is true for me. One coyote half-circled the bait and that is all the activity I've had, not even crows. I don't understand it.

6mm06- By all means, take some of mine. They're killing my bait!
mad.gif
They start in around 7:05am and hang 'til 8:30. I think its time to clean off another bait pile.
PRMS0319.jpg

Scalloper,
Do you have any other lights on either in or around your house during the night - other than your bait light? They hardly ever come up to my bait that is about 100 yards from my house unless I have all of the lights out.

Looks like you have the coyotes, now if you can just get them under a light.

Have any of you ever tried adding some coyote urine around your bait to see if that made them feel more confident that it was safe to approach since it smelled like another coyote had been there?

I have one bait out that is a whole carcass and it's frozen solid. They are not feeding much at all on it but I am putting out small amounts of bait around there to keep them coming to the area. At my other bait site I am cutting deer scraps and bones into small pieces and I have them scattered over a larger area. Sometimes they come in and grab a piece and take off with it but they come back after another. They are much like a dog in that they often don't eat all they carry off before they come back after more, so the more they feed on the bait the more littered the area becomes with small pieces of bones. When the weather gets rough they will come back looking for those.

This female came in to grab a quick snack at a few minutes after midnight today, 1-14-2011.

1-14-redlight-coyote1.jpg

1-14-coyote-picture4.jpg

1-14-coyote-picture3.jpg

If you are running low on bait or you have a larger carcass that is frozen and they are not feeding on it, try supplementing the area with some dog biscuits or small amounts of dry cat food scattered around the area. This will keep them checking the area until the main bait thaws enough for them to feed on it.

Originally Posted By: dannykScalloper, if its any comfort I have a bait on the tranmission line with no light on it, private property the only activity there is a couple of snowmobiles on the weekend just traveling through, or myself checking on the bait. The bait has been there since November 29th, has been refreshed with road kill deer and baitsicles. Not a coyote has touched it, only ravens and a red squirrel and a weasel. I saw my first coyote tracks close to it today, the coyote came about 20 yards from the pile but no taker. I'm bummed. Just to the south of the pile like a quarter of a mile lots of coyote sign.
They can be tough thats for sure. I had a area three years ago that I took a whole road kill deer into far away from any roads and it sat there all winter until the spring. This area was loaded with coyote sign but they would not go near my free offerings. We see this alot in this reagion.
As you can see the coyotes are in my area,they just have not came to the bait that I can see from my shooting window,75 yds from my trail cam pictures.

Originally Posted By: JackindistressScalloper,
Do you have any other lights on either in or around your house during the night - other than your bait light? They hardly ever come up to my bait that is about 100 yards from my house unless I have all of the lights out.

Looks like you have the coyotes, now if you can just get them under a light.
I turn off all lights on that side of my home at night. Before I put the light on the bait they were coming in nightly. I ordered a kill light so that I could turn the bait light off but it looks like the lights have been back ordered.
I did put some coyote urin around the bait 1 week ago. On the new snow yesterday am the coyotes walked within 50 yds by my home to within 30 feet of the bait and paced around the area. Hay,they are at least checking out the area nightly
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: JackindistressI have one bait out that is a whole carcass and it's frozen solid. They are not feeding much at all on it but I am putting out small amounts of bait around there to keep them coming to the area. At my other bait site I am cutting deer scraps and bones into small pieces and I have them scattered over a larger area. Sometimes they come in and grab a piece and take off with it but they come back after another. They are much like a dog in that they often don't eat all they carry off before they come back after more, so the more they feed on the bait the more littered the area becomes with small pieces of bones. When the weather gets rough they will come back looking for those.

This female came in to grab a quick snack at a few minutes after midnight today, 1-14-2011.

1-14-redlight-coyote1.jpg

1-14-coyote-picture4.jpg

1-14-coyote-picture3.jpg

If you are running low on bait or you have a larger carcass that is frozen and they are not feeding on it, try supplementing the area with some dog biscuits or small amounts of dry cat food scattered around the area. This will keep them checking the area until the main bait thaws enough for them to feed on it.

Great job
thumbup.gif
keep at them.

I have been having a really really slow year calling predators in. I am going to change my tatics up and start baiting. I have read most of this thread (which should become a sticky), and decided that I am going to try the pressure baiting tatic. Is howling around bait sites a good idea, after you start weaning them off the bait to try to get the coyotes to come in?

Last edited:
Back