Baiting

Originally Posted By: GrizleyHunterDannyk
Good looking country I have hunted up in Hancock a few times and missed a few up there.I hunt up there the last week of season when the snow has had a chance to melt down some.
Griz we had a good crust and not much snow after the meltdown New Years weekend, was easy to get around but noisy, this past Friday into Saturday we got a big dump of lake effect snow so things changed in a hurry.

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterSince we don't have yotes to worry about here (thank goodness)

gobblergetter, what part of MD are you hunting (Im guessing eastern shore)?? Just curious cause they are thin over here but they are definitely here! Im hunting Frederick/Washington counties. We're over-run with the red fox just the same, thats really what Im after when calling but I just started a bait-sicle this evening. Im'a try this baiting thing out and see if it cant give me another crack at a yote. Ive had one respond to the call this year but hung up at the woods edge (no light under a full moon). Called in a double last year and took both, but those are the only visuals in two years. Trapper friends are getting a few up in the mountains. [beeep], Ive called two bobcats this year...need to start carrying some sorta camera....Oh well either way the reds are just as exciting especially when they'd like to jump in your lap!

Craig

Dobro- I'm in the good 'ol Southern part - tobacco land (what's left of it). It's good to hear you guys up north aren't over-run with yotes yet. Yep, closed season on bobcat in MD. I don't even think to look for them, they're even more scarce here than the yotes, I assume. With lots of reds, sounds like you have farm fields you're hunting on. Do you see any greys? More greys here, I hunt the thicks, so I don't see as many reds. Please take out as many yotes as you can so they don't make their way to my place, -thanks. LOL!

Originally Posted By: 4059Hi Everyone: I really enjoy reading all the great input. I purchased my ist digital camera just before Christmas, a stealth cam unit. I put it out the same night I got it, what I've noticed is the 8 AA batteries last 1-3 days when it is really cold (like 10 deg. or colder).I am already getting tired of changing them & reprogramming the camera. Seriously thinking about putting out an rv deep cycle battery that will last a month, hopefully. Or buy the smaller setup from stealth cam a maybe having to charge it once a week. Any helpful thoughts are appreciated.

Might want to give Stealth Cam a call and see what they say. There could be something wrong with the can. I have a Trophy Cam over a bait site and it has taken HUNDREDS of 10 second video clips, many at night. The 8AA's are still going strong here in the Michigan winter.

GG
Sense you are the Fox Pro,Can you tell by this picture, is this a red or a grey?

fox06.jpg

Thanks GG, Last night I got 42 pictures of several just like this one. Some times two and three at a time. I deleted them all, and then I thought about asking you which ones they are. that picture was from a few nights back.

Jim

A few greys here but the reds seem to keep em in check. A friend of mine traps and gets about 10 reds to 1 grey up on the mountains. Im hunting farms and state land in the valley and rarely see a grey.

Picked up 8 rib cages and a trash bag full of scraps from a friend. Bout got enough to start a good bait pile...

Craig

JID- Nice drop on that yote there. In your first pic. the yote is smiling more than you. Shouldn't that be the other way around?
wink.gif

No stack of foxy pics, but a pic. of a stack of "wood rats"- One of my bait piles needed cleaning off last night
grin.gif
S1230001.jpg

Hopefully I saved a few turkey eggs this spring coming.
Griz-Congrats on your fine yote too. Sounds like maybe there's more to come . . .

GG
No I don't shoot the fox. The pelts are worth about $18.00
Not worth shooting plus I don't have anything that they bother. Nobody else around here have anything they bother that I know of.

Jim

CJ-Got'cha. They can be quite the menace on farm fowl. One night,several weeks ago, I heard my penned birds raising a rucus over the baby monitor I have inside the house. I grabbed my .22mag, ran for the door, scared the cat, tripped over the dog, and got outside to find a red bouncing around the pen chasing my birds. The fox was so engrossed with the birds slamming themselves into the side of the pen that it paid no attention to me bumbling around with the flashlight and gun. Within a short order he was down. Didn't loose any birds but a few got scrapped up from hitting the pen. I'm just glad that was one night I could shoot straight.

Originally Posted By: happyyoteranyone tryed this light

http://www.opticsplanet.net/dorcy-flood-lite-wireless-led-motion-flashlight.html

thanks
Have not tryed that light but it sounds interesting. I just wonder what the battery life would be. Guessing OK since it is only on for short times. Here is a driveway/sidewalk light I picked up. I changed the smaller battery it came with to a 6v. and dropped it down in a coffee can for weather protection. The solar panel seems to do the job. Sensor clicks on dusk to dawn.
S1230004.jpg

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterJID- Nice drop on that yote there. In your first pic. the yote is smiling more than you. Shouldn't that be the other way around?
wink.gif

No stack of foxy pics, but a pic. of a stack of "wood rats"- One of my bait piles needed cleaning off last night
grin.gif
S1230001.jpg

Hopefully I saved a few turkey eggs this spring coming.
Griz-Congrats on your fine yote too. Sounds like maybe there's more to come . . . Wow,those look tasty? LOL

Ha ha ya I dont blame you. Will any preditors eat possum? I went deer hunting on the Eastern shore of MD for two years,man I could not belive how many red fox I saw. I would see 3-7 aday but I have never seen a gray fox. I saw that red fox did ok at the last auction.
I hunted with Schraders and he was telling us that if anyone shot a coyote it would make the local news papper because there was very few in that area. I am very surprised I thought they were everywhere.

These pictures were taken last night. They are in sequence but all of them are not shown here. Very funny, these Foxes.

Hey this is good stuff!
1.jpg

Yeah but I see sometjing!
2.jpg

Nah you don't see any thing!
3.jpg

I'm out of here!
4.jpg

I see your back scaredy cat!
5.jpg

Maybe he did see something?
6.jpg

I'm out of here too!
7.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ScalloperHa ha ya I dont blame you. Will any preditors eat possum? I went deer hunting on the Eastern shore of MD for two years,man I could not belive how many red fox I saw. I would see 3-7 aday but I have never seen a gray fox. I saw that red fox did ok at the last auction.
I hunted with Schraders and he was telling us that if anyone shot a coyote it would make the local news papper because there was very few in that area. I am very surprised I thought they were everywhere.

Not sure what all eats possum. ? I've seen them eat on another possum. I guess if anything gets hungry enough, they'll eat them. 10-4 on the shore's red fox. I've never hunted the Eastern shore but I hear they are loaded with red.
Hey Schraders is a pretty big outfit over there. Were you after white-tails or the elusive sikas (Maryland's 'lil elk)?
And yes, if a yote were to be killed it would make the local paper here as well. They are around, but very rare is a sighting of one. I'm hoping to be the first hunter in my parts to take one - just a personal goal.
smile.gif

Back