Baiting

Thanks Jim, that's a really good looking window. I'll remember that one when it comes time.

Today I went to the farm again to check out the trail camera. No tracks around, so I deliberately walked in front of the camera to do some testing. Then I switched SD cards and took the other one home to the computer.

One photo was taken before I got to the farm, don't know what tripped it since there were no tracks in the snow. The photos supposedly of me were all pink, 4 of them. I have since brought the camera home to play with it in the back yard and try to determine what is going on with it.

The one photo I got today that was tripped by an unknown source, is great quality. It's hard to get much better than this one.

This camera takes great photos - WHEN it takes them. I've got to figure this pink stuff out.

GoodPhoto.jpg

David Monday call the 800# in your booklet and ask them about your Pink Pics....Hmmm Also ask them why its 68 Deg. with all that snow

Last edited:
If the sun shines on your camera that will run the temp up quite a bit. My truth cam 60 is never right in the day time if the sun gets to it. If you notice the night pictures will be right.

Jim

Well ladies and gentlemen, this ole coyote hunter just about couldn't get himself talked into getting out of a nice warm bed and trudging off into the cold predawn air in pursuit of the wily ole coyotes this morning. Yesterday morning it was 5 above and windy. I finally rolled out at 6:am and checked the temperature and it was a balmy 23 degrees with an east wind about 10mph.

I figured if I didn't go I would get on here and gobblergetter would have a whole stack of fox pictures posted so I gathered my stuff and headed out.

I circled around so I could come into my north bait location from downwind and it was already getting daylight when I came up over the hill to where I could see the bait out in the CRP field. Something was there at the bait but looking through the brush, I couldn't tell for sure if it was a coyote or not. I slipped back down the hill and circled a little more so I would have a better view when I got within view of the bait again. I crawled to where I thought I would have a shot and slowly got up on my knees and it was a coyote feeding on the bait.

I got my rifle on the shooting sticks and about the time I got him lined up in the scope he lifted his head and I though he was going to take off but I guess he was just looking. At the sound of my shot he dropped right where he was standing.

I was at the edge of the brush behind me in this picture;

1-10-coyote-picture3.jpg

In this picture you can see the corn planter that I use for planting food plots is setting next to the brush. My hunting blind is just to the right of it and I was just a little ways behind them when I shot him.

1-10-coyote-picture2.jpg

We are supposed to get more snow tonight and tomorrow so it should be good hunting.

Hey weaponx,
Do you load your own ammo or are you shooting factory loads? I usually have really good luck with the V-max bullets but I have had a couple here lately that made a mess out of the coyotes. Would not have been happy if I was saving the fur.

I think part of the reason is that I usually carry my 22-250 when I am hunting the river bottom and shots there are usually 200 yards or so. Almost always at that distance there is no exit. This year I have busted a couple at less than 100 yards with it and it is leaving a big hole.

I don't have that problem with my 223 but it of course has less velocity than the 22-250.

For many years when I was saving fur, I used the Sierra 52 grain hollow point boat tail match bullet in my 22-250's. I had really good luck with it. Since that is a match bullet, it has a thicker jacket and doesn't blow up as much if you hit bone. I had more exit wounds with it but they were usually small.

I need to load more ammo before long and I think I am going to order some more of the Sierra match bullets.

Jackindistress,

I know exactly what you mean about getting out of a nice warm bed. It's a struggle to do, especially the older I get. But, we can't kill them from bed unless it's in a dream.

Gobblergetter seemed to be the motivation behind your decision, and I guess we all need a little motivation sometimes.

Nice job on the coyote.

well I got out this morning, 6 degrees, drove south some into the area where there is lots of wolf sign, and thought if I didn't call in a coyote, maybe a wolf would show and I could at least get some footage from the camera, of course nothing showed. I then went to the bait station north of my house, sat there for about an hour, nothing showed not even ravens, but I did run the camera for a bit mounted on the rifle. When I left and was walking back to the truck down the two track road one coyote had crossed the road right over my tracks.Video is about 15 seconds long taken from the blind, bait station is in the picture 100 yds away camera on 10X

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JackindistressHey weaponx,
Do you load your own ammo or are you shooting factory loads? I usually have really good luck with the V-max bullets but I have had a couple here lately that made a mess out of the coyotes. Would not have been happy if I was saving the fur.

I think part of the reason is that I usually carry my 22-250 when I am hunting the river bottom and shots there are usually 200 yards or so. Almost always at that distance there is no exit. This year I have busted a couple at less than 100 yards with it and it is leaving a big hole.

I don't have that problem with my 223 but it of course has less velocity than the 22-250.

For many years when I was saving fur, I used the Sierra 52 grain hollow point boat tail match bullet in my 22-250's. I had really good luck with it. Since that is a match bullet, it has a thicker jacket and doesn't blow up as much if you hit bone. I had more exit wounds with it but they were usually small.

I need to load more ammo before long and I think I am going to order some more of the Sierra match bullets.

JID...
I don't load my own. Factory Whinny white box is good enough. I have way too many hobbies and a full-time job. Add 4 kid's to the mix,(grown and gone,"for now"). Loading is not on the table for now.
I'm not saying the Hornady's don't harvest 'yotes. Many guys on here use 'em. My experiment has proven less than expected for the money. I still have some left. I will do more testing, for a complete,"Big picture".

Oh and way too go on this morning 'yote. You are pileing them up!

I found a dead deer right after deer season that a coyote (from the tracks)was eating only the rump roast. Weeks have past and the deer carcass has not be touched by anything other then crows and small animals. I can see this from around 100 plus yards away. With snow on the ground and over three weeks, nothing.

Went out this evening and heard the yotes start wake a up barking pow-wow and 5 minutes later this guy tried to get across my shooting lane,he did not make it.
The other yotes were still barking until I shot then all got quiet.

S4200003-1.jpg

SIDE BAR---Buy the time you airplane boys get it figured out I will have killed them all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cougar Jim6mm06
Her is where I got my window. It opens from both sides. I keep my spot light on one side and my rifle on the other.

Click here

Hey Jim,
Thanks for posting the link to those windows. I bookmarked that for future use.

Gary

Dannyk
Good looking country I have hunted up in Hancock a few times and missed a few up there.I hunt up there the last week of season when the snow has had a chance to melt down some.

Nice going, GrizzlyHunter.

I took my trail camera back to the farm today and set it. After playing around with it at home, and reformatting the cards, it seems to be working ok with both stills and video.

When I got to the farm, I noticed coyote tracks near the bait, but it wouldn't go up to the bait, just went around it. I guess it's spooked or probably smelled where I had been yesterday evening.

6mm06
I have had yotes do that many many times,Baiting is not the perfect answer all the time but it does at least put them where you can get a shot,or at least keep them close to your hunting area.I think that their dog instinct kicks in and they like to eat what they can chase and kill.
I would not be so sure that they smelled you as much as it is just not how they hunt to survive.
But when I take out fresh bait I am very aware of what I touch etc.I also put my hunting boots on the the bait a few times while I am walking on my trail to leave bait sent in the trail.
Also drag some bait in the same trail while I walk in it helps alot.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone: I really enjoy reading all the great input. I purchased my ist digital camera just before Christmas, a stealth cam unit. I put it out the same night I got it, what I've noticed is the 8 AA batteries last 1-3 days when it is really cold (like 10 deg. or colder).I am already getting tired of changing them & reprogramming the camera. Seriously thinking about putting out an rv deep cycle battery that will last a month, hopefully. Or buy the smaller setup from stealth cam a maybe having to charge it once a week. Any helpful thoughts are appreciated.

Back