Baiting

GrizzlyHunter,

Yea, I too have a metal stake in the ground and a dog leash (chain) attached where I can tie down a carcas. The round baitcicle was yet another problem since it would roll.

You are right about the crows eating a lot of the bait, hawks too.

I checked the camera a few minutes ago, only photos of myself. It snowed quite a bit last night, so I think everything is holed up. Will probably see activity after the storm stops and the weather begins to break.

Here are the first photos of the new camera. One I quickly got the camera out of sleep mode and it took a photo of the site. The second one I walked in front to trip it, and the third one I don't know what happened with all that pink. That was today when I went to check it.

Looks like I need to lower the camera view a bit.

Photo1.jpg

Photo2.jpg

What happened here? This was taken today when I went to check the camera. Also, the
temperature is definitely colder than what the photos indicated yesterday. Today's temp
at 24 degrees is about right.

Photo3.jpg

Area, taken with a digital still camera

BlindBait.jpg

For your baitcicle, to keep if from rolling or getting carried off - take a small rod, pvc pipe or dog chain and drop down the center of the bucket before your freeze it. Leave enough stick out so that you can tie your anchor line on to it.

It was 14* above with 30+ mph wind here this morning. Not much moving here either.

If I were to make one of those baitcicles, I would run the PVC pipe through the center til the end met the bottom of the bucket, freeze it, then remove the cicle from the bucket and run a chain through the pvc pipe and link the two ends of the chain. Then loop the chain around an anchor stake of sorts. Chain could be left out at the bait site.
Since we don't have yotes to worry about here (thank goodness) I just cut my deer sections up, run a wire through the meat, make a loop at the end and freeze the sections 'til I'm ready to use them.

6mm06,
I have notice the temperature readings on some of the pictures taken with those cameras too. I think in one of Jim's, his was showing like 40 something and with about a foot and half of snow, it looked colder than that. I was going to ask him how cold it actually was.

You guys, Grizleyhunter, 6mm06, Scalloper and others sure do have some nice looking places.

Originally Posted By: GrizleyHunterOriginally Posted By: JackindistressScalloper,
PM coming your way concerning light mounting.

Jackindistress
My gun has the same set up as Scalloper could you pass the info to me also-thanks

Jack, would you mind passing the same info. on to me? My gun is set up like the others as well.

My night time hunting gun and set up, lazer, 250 kill light, and 4X16 Muller scope, its on a rimfire as thats all the law allows us to use, or a shotgun with no bucks shot, or slugs
nighthunter002.jpg

nighthunter001.jpg

Originally Posted By: Jackindistress6mm06,
I have notice the temperature readings on some of the pictures taken with those cameras too. I think in one of Jim's, his was showing like 40 something and with about a foot and half of snow, it looked colder than that. I was going to ask him how cold it actually was.

You guys, Grizleyhunter, 6mm06, Scalloper and others sure do have some nice looking places.

Yeah that temp is not right on my Truth cam 60. It was in the teens that day.
When the temp gets above freezing the snow drops out of the trees. You can see they are still loaded.

Jim

Last edited:
dannyk
Thats a nice set up.Does the laser help? Can you see it in the scope? Man you just saved me some $$'s as I was going to buy a better scope with lighted crosshairs.I have a nice Nikon scope but I was having a tough time seeing the fine crosshairs,I bet that laser would cure it...
Is your gun a 17 HMR or .22 Mag?

Does anyone have an idea what happened with that pink photo today? I figure someone will say the Pink Panther showed up!!

Just hope there's nothing wrong with the camera, and I don't think there is, just can't explain why it didn't snap my photo when I approached it today.

I have two different cameras out on one bait and I dident get a photo of me when I walked to them today. I have used many different kinds between me and my buddies and none that I have seen work all of the time in all conditions. I think the cold bothers right now. I had a ton of tracks in frount of them both but only two photos.

Originally Posted By: Scalloperdannyk
Thats a nice set up.Does the laser help? Can you see it in the scope? Man you just saved me some $$'s as I was going to buy a better scope with lighted crosshairs.I have a nice Nikon scope but I was having a tough time seeing the fine crosshairs,I bet that laser would cure it...
Is your gun a 17 HMR or .22 Mag?
Scalloper, it a savage 17hmr, the lazer is adjusted dead on with the cross hairs at 60 yds, yes it stands out in the scope just fine.

Scalloper- I have two scopes with lighted x-hairs and they didn't cost an arm and a leg. They are NcStar brand. Might want to take a peek at their different magnifications. One of mine is a 6x24 50mm and the other one is 10x40 50mm. The illuminated x-hairs volume of light can be adjusted too, depending on natural light condition. One of my scopes got damaged by the airline when I was on a hunting trip. I called the company to order another scope and they told me to ship the busted scope back to them and they would replace it "free". AND THEY DID! How crazy is that?
Man, don't even think about using that for bait. I would fight off a coyote to eat some of that lobster.

Last edited:
dannyk
How good of a job does that 17 do? Man I shoot 1 or two a year with my 270 while deer hunting and most of the time they run off.

Gobbler
Thats what I have been pricing today was 50mm scopes with lited X-hairs and man $400-1300. I will check the ones you recomended.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Does anyone have an idea what happened with that pink photo today? I figure someone will say the Pink Panther showed up!!

Just hope there's nothing wrong with the camera, and I don't think there is, just can't explain why it didn't snap my photo when I approached it today.

It looks like a problem with the CCD (Charge-Coupled Device). That is the image sensor in the camera. It is the equivalent of film in a regular camera. It processes the image for storage on the internal memory or SD card. It can be also be caused by humidity within the camera. Had you taken it from one extreme temperature to another shortly before the image was taken? Cold weather does funny (or not so funny) things to digital cameras. If it is real cold they are slow to respond or may not respond at all. My Fuji digital will often not turn on if it is much below freezing.

My nephew is a camera guru. I will send him a copy of the pink image and ask him what he thinks it is. It very well could be just the cold weather combined with high humidity.

Scalloper, can't really tell you, the gun is new and only been out once with it so far, lots of debate about the caliber, I will keep the shots close but it is much more accurate than my 22 mag. I have seen some pretty impressive things with a friends 17 so time will tell. Wish we could use center fires here at night. Two of my bait stands are between 50 and 60 yards so those shots will be close if something comes in. Also we just got dumped on by lake effect snow around 18 inches and still snowing so it may be slow again for a while.

Back