Baiting

Originally Posted By: weaponxScalloper,
I'm curious how your going to harvest these dog's. Will you see the light on, then sneak out there? Do you have a blind set-up some where?
I think the 'yotes "might", get used to the light. But i am not sold on that idea. Iam jealous of all the snow you got there....
On page 15 I explain my set up. When they come near the bait pile closest to my home my motion sensor will alert me and I can shoot 71 yds from a window. This same setup is used by 8-10 guys in this area. It always takes awhile for the coyote to get use to the light but after 1-2 weeks they always have for other guys.

Scalloper,
My neighbor had coyotes coming up in their yard and eating the cat food at night. She got some video of a coyote one night with her x10 security camera. She put a very small light out on the side of the house hoping to get some better pictures. The coyotes never would come in close enough to get the food after she put up the light.

I have my doubts that they will ever get hungry enough to come under the light but I guess you never know until you try it. If I had that much activity around a bait though, I would ditch the flood light and use a gun mounted light and be killing coyotes.

Originally Posted By: ScalloperOriginally Posted By: weaponxScalloper,
I'm curious how your going to harvest these dog's. Will you see the light on, then sneak out there? Do you have a blind set-up some where?
I think the 'yotes "might", get used to the light. But i am not sold on that idea. Iam jealous of all the snow you got there....
On page 15 I explain my set up. When they come near the bait pile closest to my home my motion sensor will alert me and I can shoot 71 yds from a window. This same setup is used by 8-10 guys in this area. It always takes awhile for the coyote to get use to the light but after 1-2 weeks they always have for other guys.

Thanks Brother.. I'll check out your set-up on page 15. Man this baiting thread is getting big! I think it could live for year's too come! Fun stuff!

Originally Posted By: JackindistressScalloper,
My neighbor had coyotes coming up in their yard and eating the cat food at night. She got some video of a coyote one night with her x10 security camera. She put a very small light out on the side of the house hoping to get some better pictures. The coyotes never would come in close enough to get the food after she put up the light.

I have my doubts that they will ever get hungry enough to come under the light but I guess you never know until you try it. If I had that much activity around a bait though, I would ditch the flood light and use a gun mounted light and be killing coyotes.

As I said others have done ok with this setup but I understand what your saying,I would get many more oppertunities without the light. What kind of gun mounted light would you recomend? I have been thinking about getting set up for night hunting. I have a AR-15 RRA Varmit special. Will they run when I light them up? Thanks

Scalloper,
I am using the EWT XLR250 light with the red LED. They have been giving me plenty of time for a shot when I light them up with it. When my alarm goes off I use the outer edge of the beam to find their eyes and then when I put the cross hairs on them they are in the center bright spot of the beam.

The thing is amazing!!! If you look back a few pages you can find pictures of some that I have taken with it this year.

You can buy the light here;
http://www.boondock-outdoors.com/EWT_Kill-lights.html

Thanks I will buy this. Sometimes it tough figuring out which would be best for my hunting. So you think this light will work out to 80-150 yds? Which color do you have? Which color do I need for bare ground and snow?

The ones I have taken using my XLR250 have ranged from about 90 to 130 yards. If you have a decent quality scope you should be good to go. If you have a rail on your AR, mount it ahead of the scope. Even using a halo shield (with it mounted on the scope) I can see better with the light mounted ahead of the scope. It works OK mounted on the scope but does a little better for me mounted out front.

It comes with batteries, mounts and charger and the clicky switch on cord. I don't use the extended switch with mine. I just use the push button on the back of the light.

Keep your scope turned down on the lower power works best at night. I have a 3-9X Redfield on my 223 and I have it set on 5 power for night shooting.

Originally Posted By: ScalloperAny ideas on lens color?

Red.

If you go down to the night hunting section they discuss these lights and color options quite a bit. Some guys are trying the green led but red is by far the most used. If you suddenly light up a coyote with a white light, be ready to shoot fast.

I had one the other night just stand there doing the head bob like he was trying to see under or over the red beam. If it had been a white light he would have been gone in an instant.

Thanks I just found the post you refered to. Ok its done Kill-light on its way Red from Boondocks. I may turn my flood light off and let them feed until my kill light gets here.

I use a Cajun Light.(coon hunter\wheat lamp).http://cajunlight.com/

007-1.jpg

It will last for DAYS! I leave it on for 6 hours at a time, when sitting on bait. I recharge it every 3 days or so. Great company too...If you have a problem. They will fix it.

011-2.jpg

Red lens on head unit..stick it on the bipod rail and point it anywhere..They are pricey though...$250.00 pesos. But It will be the last light you will most likely, ever need..IMHO...

Oh, and this is not, where I live. But you can see where the 'coons crawl through the window. Sometimes when I'm there being very quiet. I keep a large knife next to me at all times...

Last edited:

WeaponX,

Does the camera have the capability of taking both stills and video, or does it have to be set for only one? I haven't learned a lot about it just yet, just enough to set it. I have it set for photos right now.

GrizzlyHunter,

I had a baitcicle in a round bucket, and to keep it from rolling down the hillside, I put in the the box. The hillside is probably a bit steeper than it looks in the photo. Once I had the box there, I just decided to leave it. It doesn't seem to affect the coytoes since there were droppings within a foot or so of the box recently. Next baitcicle I make, I plan to try Jeff's idea of a PVC pipe and slip the whole thing over a stake.

Also, I had a hog head that I chained to a metal stake. All the meat was one from it within about two days. I then placed the skull in the box. Next time I visited it was gone. If a coyote didn't get it, then maybe a dog.

A local meat processor at a grocery store gave me some old meat scraps the other day, so I placed a small steak in the box yesterday. Just giving the yotes enough to keep them coming back.

We got a pretty good snow last night, so I plan to go to the farm this afternoon and check things out. My camera may need clearing of snow.

Originally Posted By: JackindistressThe ones I have taken using my XLR250 have ranged from about 90 to 130 yards. If you have a decent quality scope you should be good to go. If you have a rail on your AR, mount it ahead of the scope. Even using a halo shield (with it mounted on the scope) I can see better with the light mounted ahead of the scope. It works OK mounted on the scope but does a little better for me mounted out front.

It comes with batteries, mounts and charger and the clicky switch on cord. I don't use the extended switch with mine. I just use the push button on the back of the light.

Keep your scope turned down on the lower power works best at night. I have a 3-9X Redfield on my 223 and I have it set on 5 power for night shooting.

This is my AR
P1080001.jpg

With the only pic rail in frount of the scope ahead of the fore stock I am not sure where I could mount the kill-lite other then on the scope.

Originally Posted By: JackindistressScalloper,
PM coming your way concerning light mounting.

Jackindistress
My gun has the same set up as Scalloper could you pass the info to me also-thanks

6mm06

I find it hard to keep up with bait also sometimes it will set awhile and then a pack will move in my area and eat a 5gal baitsicle overnight.And I can tell ya that those buckets are heavy when topped off with water.I freeze mine solid and then let them thaw just enough to let them slid out of the bucket.
Your box on the bait pile was a good idea,when I get a large bait I have a wire on a steel stake driven in the ground that I can attach the wire to the carcas.
I loose most of my bait to the crows they can sure eat a lot.

Originally Posted By: GrizleyHunterOriginally Posted By: JackindistressScalloper,
PM coming your way concerning light mounting.

Jackindistress
My gun has the same set up as Scalloper could you pass the info to me also-thanks

Info sent via PM.

Just a small story.
About 30 years ago I tried baiting for the first time and have been hooked ever since.I traped to make a extra income in the winter months as there was no work in the winter.I noticed alot yote tracks around my carcas graveyard.So I built a shack in the edge of the woods overlooking a frozen lake and put out about 20 beaver carcus and bingo yotes came to the pile on the ice.
I dont hunt the lake anymore because I now hunt a powerline which is easy to get to with out making any noise or as much chance of the critters seeing me get to the blind.
Back when I started baiting yotes I never heard of anyone baiting or even a web site to help out other guys or get info from.
So enough BS I gotta get dressed a kill some coyotes(I hope)

Back