Baiting

6mm06,
I forgot to mention, both coyotes in the pictures above were taken using the XLR250 Red light mounted on a Savage Weather Warrior in 223 caliber. Distance on both of those coyotes was a little over 100 yards in CRP (mowed prairie grass).

All this crap that comes from China, it looks like we are stuck with a lot of it. Them Chinamans they don't know how to speak English much less wright instructions, but us red blooded Americans, it ain't like we don't know anything about electronics. We can figure it out sooner or later.

Here I am trying to find my bait pile from under 1-1/2 ft of snow.

PRMS0003.jpg

Jim

Last edited:
Today I put out some fox urin around the baited area. I use this also when I am trapping coyotes and cats it comforts them knowing another of their kind has been there.We will see...

Thanks Scalloper
I just remembered I have some Bobcat urine I have had for years. I hope it is still good. I just put some around my bait pile.

Jim

Originally Posted By: Cougar Jim All this crap that comes from China, it looks like we are stuck with a lot of it. Them Chinamans they don't know how to speak English much less wright instructions, but us red blooded Americans, it ain't like we don't know anything about electronics. We can figure it out sooner or later.

Here I am trying to find my bait pile from under 1-1/2 ft of snow.

PRMS0003.jpg

Jim

Now that...is Conservation Dedication, Jim..
Digging out the survival food for the hungry creature's of the land...I give you 2 thumbs up!

Scalloper,

While $94 isn't cheap, I would pay it if it works well. If it works good for you at 220 yards, surely it would work at my 130 yard place.

Jackindistress,

Thanks for the information about the sensors. I'm new to this sort of thing, so I'm very much in learning mode.

By covering up the sides of the sensor, I assume you guys mean the white part in the photo, to cover a section on both sides and narrow down the sensor, correct?

I assume you guys mean to cover the sensor here?

85.jpg

JID- you asked about the game cam lens getting frost on it, I have run cams for a few years and have not had that problem (yet). I set my cameras close to the bait and have them tilted downwards at an angle, maybe thats why ? just a guess
And nice goin on those yotes
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Yeah David I forgot to tell you the other night NOT to point the sensors toward the Sun. And that goes for your Cam to. The sun will play tricks on Both! Try one of the other sensors to Dave........:)

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterJID- you asked about the game cam lens getting frost on it, I have run cams for a few years and have not had that problem (yet). I set my cameras close to the bait and have them tilted downwards at an angle, maybe thats why ? just a guess
And nice goin on those yotes
thumbup1.gif
I agree GG! My Bushnell Trophy Cam or my Stealth Cam has never frosted Lens because I angle them down about 15 Deg. Oh and one other thing you DONT want to do is Bring your Cam inside to change SD cards. They will warm up and cause internal condensation,And when you put them back out they Freeze and wont work right!!! Keep Goin........Jeff
thumbup.gif

Just a thought..That may be why the Frosting
ohmy.gif

Last edited:

Jeff,

I didn't point the sensor toward the sun. Acutally it was cloudy and no sun. I did a bit of testing this afternoon on the farm. The sensor worked well at 130 yards or so, but it went off on it's own. Also, it wouldn't sound when I stepped in front of it, moving around etc. Not sure what to make of it just now.

I like the unit, the three sensors etc., especially the price. If I can get it work properly, then it's well worth the money. If not, then no great loss.

We have had several mornings when every thing was covered in frost including the bottom of it. I don't even take the camera down to check images. I carry my digital camera when I go to check the trail cams and just pull the sd card and put it in my digital camera to view the images.

Made this up today, was thinking that it would be nice to video some of the hunts out of the blinds where the gun is on a solid rest, and being that I always carry this small cannon with a 10X zoom with on the hunts, it would be right in line with the rifle. Also on a set of shooting sticks. Basically both of my calling rifles have a weaver style top cap on the scope all I did was use a scope mount, a small chunk of aluminum bar stock, drill a few holes to secure the bar to the mount, drill a hole in the front to mount the camera with a 1/4 in bolt into the tripod mount on the camera. Set the camera in movie mode when something is coming in turn on the camera, zoom in if desired, and movie. Thumb screw for the mount on the scope and thumb screw on the camera mount, all comes apart to carry in a pocket.
Stagcamera001.jpg

Stagcamera003.jpg

DannyK,

I'm anxious to see how your camera works out. Be sure to keep us posted.

This evening I went to the farm and set my new trail camera. It was snowing at the time and we are expected to get more tonight and tomorrow.

There were fresh coyote droppings at this site yesterday, so hopefully in a day or two I'll have some photos. We'll see.

I really like the looks and size of this camera, the Wildgame Innovations X6C. If it takes photos as good as it looks, then I'll be one happy guy.

01-7.jpg

02-6.jpg

03-6.jpg

You can see my blind on the hillside in the background. Distance is roughly 130 yards.

04-3.jpg

Like Mr. T. used to say,"I pity the fool"!
Dave, you are gonna "Take'em to the house" with that set-up!
I hope you turn that x6c to video. Then wait for one to step in front of it. That camera will do double duty, as a Hunt Recorder. You have 30 seconds to pull the trigger.Then when you put the sd card in your 'puter? Good times!

We got a light snow fall yesterday afternoon and last night so I went out back of my home this morning to check for tracks and see how close the yotes came to my bait pile with the motion sensor and light. Well the area was loaded with tracks but they would walk to within 35-40 feet of my bait pile with the light on it but held up and would not come the extra and play
whistle.gif
. The bait pile back another 100 yds is all but cleaned up but they still check it out. I did get two trail cam pictures and you can see my light in the background. The flood light is red,I thought this would be better then a regular 100 watt flood light but I am not sure.
Baitpilefoodplot036.jpg

Baitpilefoodplot035.jpg

They are still checking out the area everynight. Its been 8 days sence I turned the light on but I am still confident they will come in and play
cool.gif
I will be waiting.

Scalloper,
I'm curious how your going to harvest these dog's. Will you see the light on, then sneak out there? Do you have a blind set-up some where?
I think the 'yotes "might", get used to the light. But i am not sold on that idea. Iam jealous of all the snow you got there....

Nothing much going on here. Just a Fox or two hanging around. Breeding season is not far away. The 'yotes will be on the move. Found some 22.250 ammo on sale. Got 100 round's of that.Dropped my gun walking through the woods. Enjoyed that some.......

Back