Baiting

Man, you guys have some nice blinds, that's for sure. I've been rolling it over in my mind lately of building something more permanent than the pop-up. The heater that DannyK has is just what I have been thinking about.

Anyway, today I got two packages from the guy driving the brown truck. One is the Hunter Alert that Jeff suggested, and the other is the Wildgame Innovations X6C trail camera that Weaponx recommended. I'm anxious to get them in the field to see how they work. Just been playing around with the Hunter Alert this evening here at home, but haven't tried the camera yet. I'll let you know how it goes.

The Hunter Alert is working well at 50 yards in my driveway. I haven't tried it any further. I'm expecting shots at about 130 yards, so I'm hoping it will work that far.

A question to those of you who have the XLT 250s, can you identify animals at 130 to 150 yards?

The system has three transmitters. The first one didn't seem to work well, so I tried the second one. It works great and is very sensitive.

HunterAlert1.jpg

HunterAlert2.jpg

The camera is much smaller than I expected. If it takes photos as good as it looks, then it
will be a real winner.

WildgameInnovX6C.jpg

Nice shooting Grizley, you have one heck of a shooting lane there.
Ya'll, these pictures of your hunting grounds are just great and some pretty country too. Thanks for sharing them.
thumbup1.gif

6mm06,
The distance that you will be able to shoot using the XLR250 varies depending on how clear your scope is and the type of terrain you are shooting over. Earlier in the season I was hunting over mowed CRP and pasture ground that was still green and it seemed to "wash out" the red color of the light and reduce my range. I was still able to get about 100 yards but could not see as clearly as I could across cut bean stubble. I keep my scope set on 4 or 5 power. I am using an old (like 30 years old) 3-9X Redfield scope on my night rifle.

Now that every thing is more brown I and see a lot better with it. Last night I was hunting a new location in a mowed CRP field that is mostly prairie grass that I mowed last fall and the ground is mostly flat. I could easily see 150 yards across it. Humidity in the air seems to effect the visibility when using and LED more than it does when using a light with xenon or krypton bulb, etc.

It is the best light that I have found and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

6mm06,
As for heaters, have you looked at the Mr. Heater brand models Buddy and Big Buddy heater. They look like they would be good in a hunting shack. The have a low oxygen shut off feature on them. They are on my list of stuff to get for next year.

Are any of you guys using your dead yotes for your bait I know this question has been asked before and it has been years that I used coyote for bait and can only remember crows and ravens hitting on them?????

Keep the info and stories flowing I have read every post and I am enjoying them a great deal. Remember to add lots of pics when you have them.

Originally Posted By: Jackindistress6mm06,
As for heaters, have you looked at the Mr. Heater brand models Buddy and Big Buddy heater. They look like they would be good in a hunting shack. The have a low oxygen shut off feature on them. They are on my list of stuff to get for next year.
I have two of the Buddy heaters they are great. And you can buy a hose to attatch them to a 20lb tank so they last longer.

These are some pics from my bait pile thats behind my home. Now I have two,the one in these photos is 200 yds out and I cannot see it from my home. I put this one out with small amounts of bait to keep the coyotes coming and to build confidence. In the night photos you can see the light thats shinning on the bait pile near my house. That bait is the one that has the motion sensor on it.
This coyote came in at 6:59 monday am while I was in a different area calling.
Baitpilefoodplot028.jpg

These are some photos from the last two days
Baitpilefoodplot004.jpg

Baitpilefoodplot031.jpg

Baitpilefoodplot034.jpg

This bait pile has been here for about 2 months. I then put another bait pile,heavy with bait 3 barrels, near my home with a motion sensor. Then on Newyears eve I installed a light shining down on the bait. I posted pics of this bait a few days ago. The coyotes have been howling and going nuts sence I put the light on. Last night they were howling behind my house for over a hour. As you can see they are still coming into the area but they have not commited to the bait with the light sence I put the light on it,but this is common it takes them awhile to get acustome to the light. But I am confident that they will get hungryer as the temps go down. We shall see.

Originally Posted By: Cougar Jimweaponx
Is your dog a Chesapeake or a lab? I am guessing he is a Chesapeake.

Jim

Yes Jim. He's A Chessy. Typical hardheaded male. He thinks whenever he has a hard retreive, it's his...But he is lucky I had my hands full of lights and camera...Otherwise, he would have been stomped!
He will bring back almost anything though..I got to hand it to him. He'll even dive for fish! Now that is funny!

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Man, you guys have some nice blinds, that's for sure. I've been rolling it over in my mind lately of building something more permanent than the pop-up. The heater that DannyK has is just what I have been thinking about.

Anyway, today I got two packages from the guy driving the brown truck. One is the Hunter Alert that Jeff suggested, and the other is the Wildgame Innovations X6C trail camera that Weaponx recommended. I'm anxious to get them in the field to see how they work. Just been playing around with the Hunter Alert this evening here at home, but haven't tried the camera yet. I'll let you know how it goes.

The Hunter Alert is working well at 50 yards in my driveway. I haven't tried it any further. I'm expecting shots at about 130 yards, so I'm hoping it will work that far.

A question to those of you who have the XLT 250s, can you identify animals at 130 to 150 yards?

The system has three transmitters. The first one didn't seem to work well, so I tried the second one. It works great and is very sensitive.

HunterAlert1.jpg

HunterAlert2.jpg

The camera is much smaller than I expected. If it takes photos as good as it looks, then it
will be a real winner.

WildgameInnovX6C.jpg

You are gonna like that camera! Mine has been Excellent! Get the external battery pack and you'll be set. I haven't charged mine since I got it. Still taking video's..

You guys are getting some good trail cam pictures! How do you all keep your camera lens from frosting up during the night? Mine has been covered with ice the past several mornings. I have put them in a birdhouse or hollow log to keep them out of the weather but I have mostly used them for deer scouting and never had them out much this time of year.

I got this male early this morning over bait. He came in and checked things out but didn't get a chance to stay for breakfast.

jan6-coyote-picture3.jpg

Below is a female taken off the same bait about a week ago:

12-27-picture5.jpg

I moved about a 1/2 mile north later in the morning and did some howling. I had some answer my howls but they never did come out of the timber. The bait in that field didn't look like it had been disturbed last night so if the wind is favorable in the morning I will move on down into the timber and should be able to call one from there.

Jackindistress.

I like your hunting buggy. Nice going on the coyote.

The field I'm hunting at is mainly brown with some taller dead grasses.

Yes, I have considered the Buddy heater. As a matter of fact, I looked at one yesterday. Once I get a permanent shed built, then I'll take a closer look at a heater. For now I'm using the pop-up blind and have a small Coleman Catalaytic heater. It's not much, but enough to warm my hands.

Scalloper,

Those are some really nice photos of your setup there. You have a beautiful hunting place for sure.

David

UPDATE ON THE HUNTER ALERT:

Today I set a fence post at the bait site, with the intention of putting a trail camera on it and the Hunter Alert. I'm having problems with the Hunter Alert, and haven't yet taken any photos with my trail camera. I'm still in the process of learning how to operate it.

The Hunter Alert was attached to the post with the brackets that came with it, at approximately 3 feet off the ground. It will work at the roughly 130 yard distance from my blind, but it is not reliable.

Many times the alert would go off by itself. Other times it wouldn't respond when I walked in front of it. Most of the time it appeared to be too sensitive. Maybe wind or grass blowing might have set it off, I don't know, but it kept going off without me walking in front of it.

Other times I would walk around in circles in front of it and it wouldn't sound at all. As a result, it's not reliable enough for me to trust for it's intended purpose.

I guess it's back to the drawing boardf for a sensor. At least the Hunter Alert was only $20, so it's not like I'm out a lot of money. It would have been great if it would work properly.

By the way, I found fresh coyote droppings at the bait site. My bait is all gone, but at least one has been there.

Any suggestions on a cheap unit that WORKS? I don't want to spend a lot of money for one, if it's possible to get a good, cheap one.

David

I just got my hunter alert and am experimenting with it around the house, checking battery life and cold weather operation,17 outside now will drop to single digits tonight, one in the garage, one outside, and one in the house, will check on distance in the next couple of days

6mm06
I got the driveway patrol sensor and it is probably about the same thing as yours.

The instructions on mine said the ground might interfere with it and send false signals. It said raise it to about 3 to 4 feet off the ground. Also it said it may be too sensitive and that I might have to put a strip of elect tape on both sides of the sensor to calm it down and it worked.
Now the only time I get false signals is when the sun first comes out. The infrared senses the heat change, but it calms down a few minutes after the sun comes out.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Jackindistress
I am haveing trouble with them frosting up. I had the bait totaly torn up with no pictures(Bushnell) then I set the second camera(Remington) and then got some photos. I bought 2 Bushnell Moone Phase from Wal-Mart and even threw bear and deer seasion I did not think they were getting all of the photos and I was right. So I set up my cheep old Remington Gost camera and got the most of the pictures but still not all because it did not get me when I walked in on the bait.

6mm06
Thanks ,I should have had this set up years ago but I thought my dogs would keep them away,then one morning in Oct my lab went out back and got into a peeing contest with some yotes they tried to get him in the woods it went on for about 15-20 min. So I went down wind 30 min later about 1/2 mile away and put out my Wildlife Tech E-Caller and it was about 2 min and I shot the first one then I put on a coyote in distress and the second one came right to the same place the #4 buck piled that one also. Man what a rush calling coyotes. I am a die hard deer hunter but I would shoot a coyote over a 8 point buck any day.

Thanks Jim. I may have to tape it a bit and see what happens. I set it approximately 3' off the ground or maybe a tad bit more.

I think my alarm is the same as Jim's. I have the Driveway Patrol.

Here are some things that I found when setting mine up:
1: Although it says effective up to 400 feet, I found that it is not reliable past about 80-90 yards.

2: Mount it on a wood post. Since the unit at the bait is a transmitter, you should mount it on a wood or plastic post. Metal can effect the antenna.

3: Mount it at least 4 feet off the ground and place the bait 15-20 feet away from the transmitter. The greater the distance from the sensor the wider the beam will be. Just don't get it so far that it won't sense the object moving in front of it.

4: If it goes off when there is no animal in front of it you can reduce the sensitivity by placing a strip of tape along each side of the sensor window. You will have to experiment on how much of the window you need to cover up.

5: Placing it so that the sensor window faces away from the sun will help to prevent false alarms.

6: If you have the transmitter, lets say 90 yards from the receiver and you can get it to respond but not all of the time, try facing the transmitter another direction. In other words, if you have the sensor lens pointing in the general direction of the receiver, try turning it 45 degrees at a time until you get a better signal.

7: The Driveway Patrol model operates on the 434Mhz FM frequency. Keep the line of sight as open as possible between the transmitter and receiver. If you are near the effective range, moving the receiver or the transmitter even a couple of feet can make the difference in whether or not you get a reliable signal.

8: When I get some time to mess with it I am going to see if I can build an external antenna that will have a higher gain than the small internal antenna that comes on the receiver. That probably isn't going to happen though for awhile because I have mine working well enough for the time being, but I will try and develop a better antenna system before next winter.

6mm06
As you saw in the photo I have the Chamberlian wireless motion alert from Radio Shack and the base can be pluged into the hime or use batteries it comes with 1 sensor but it will take upto 8 sensors. It says its range is 1/2 mile but I dont think thats true. I have 4 out and one is 220 yds and it seems to work fine. It may be more then you want to spend $94 tax and all.

Back