Baiting

weapon- I'll take the red, it is beautiful. So what was the final outcome on the yote? Did you get a second shot to finish? I'm in suspense here . . .

Naa.....It was too dark to probably shoot in the first place. His eye's were glowing in the LED'S of the trailcam. That was the only POI I could use. And my scope is an older Leupold, with thin lines. That scope works great with snow at night. But the snow melted...Iam sad...

That Red is a beaut! But I'm trying not to shoot fox's. They are way too cool. And the 'yotes kill'em all they can. Way too many 'yotes around here......

Oh and the dog could not find the 'yote.. Bled good but he made it out onto the ice and is out of my life for a while....maybe.......

Last edited:
I hear ya on the "too many yote" problem. That's the way it is around here with fox. I raise fowl and I dispise the little varmints. Coyotes are pretty much unheard of. I know of only 1 credible report of seeing one and then back in 2002 a fella shot one while turkey hunting otherwise, nada. Because of our extremely high deer population, rumor has it that our Dept. of Nat. Res. recently has released coyotes in our area to take the pop. down. They however, deny it. In about 10yrs. I'm guessing I will be hunting yotes on my farm instead of fox and will no longer be raising fowl. NUTS!

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterCougar Jim, Cougar Jim . . . what's "cat'in" around your bait pile?

Nothing right now, it turned so cold here for the last 5 or six days I took my camera down, it was froze so bad I couldn't get it open, Also my alarm would not work it was so cold. The highs in the day's are not getting out of the teens. I've got another baitcycle ready to put out probably tomorrow.

Jim

One of my blinds on the edge of a large tranmission line, shot 4 in 5 days out of this one in september over bait, no takers since, although I called two in later but they wouldn't give me a shot.
ShortbblARpolelineblind.jpg

2010coyotehunting006.jpg

2010coyotehunting003.jpg

Another blind that I recently installed for deer and coyote hunting along the edge of a cedar swamp. Haven't used it for coyotes as of yet, gonna check today for sign and possibly hunt it.
Blindatcamp1.jpg

Blindatcamp2.jpg

Blindatcamp3.jpg

Originally Posted By: Cougar JimOriginally Posted By: gobblergetterCougar Jim, Cougar Jim . . . what's "cat'in" around your bait pile?

Nothing right now, it turned so cold here for the last 5 or six days I took my camera down, it was froze so bad I couldn't get it open, Also my alarm would not work it was so cold. The highs in the day's are not getting out of the teens. I've got another baitcycle ready to put out probably tomorrow.

Jim
Buuurrr, Jim! Sounds like those bobcats and everything else should be gett'in pretty hungry with all that cold weather. Stay warm.

I hunted in one of my baited stands last night that I've only hunted once this season. Ended up with a possum on bait and then a coon I called in. Had a fox at the bait, crosshaired him, pulled the trigger and "click"- the round did not chamber after the first shot I had taken earlier.
frown.gif
No worry, he'll be back!
dannyk- Is your stand at the cedar swamp baited or are you just using calls there?
Never mind dannyk, sorry the computer I was using earlier doesn't bring up pictures . . I see now. Very nice secluded site you got in those trees.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dannykAnother blind that I recently installed for deer and coyote hunting along the edge of a cedar swamp. Haven't used it for coyotes as of yet, gonna check today for sign and possibly hunt it.
Blindatcamp1.jpg

Blindatcamp2.jpg

Blindatcamp3.jpg

Man,nice set up. Thats what I need. Nice job. Thanks for posting.

Weaponx
I saw your video in another thread with your dog dragging that yote back to you. I don't think I have laughed so much in a long time.
I am still laughing every time I think about it.

The cussing was the funny part.
Video

Jim

Last edited:
Went out to my blind to sit for a while at about 3:30 and a hour later seen two coyotes about 750 yrds down the power line.they came towards the bait to about 225 yrds then went in the woods,I was sick and thought I waited to long to shoot.I did not shoot because I missed one the other day at 250yds and thought I had to wait to redeem myself.About 15 minutes later one of them tried to scoot across the power line at 165yrds that was his mistake.DRT-243 wssm D-Tech did its job.
I will post Pics in about an hour.

Originally Posted By: JackindistressDang Danny, you got cable tv in that thing too? That is nice!!

You must be left handed. You got the rifle pokin' out the wrong winder for me.

Yes a lefty, waited until I was 62 to finally get myself left hand rifles, both ar's are Stag lefty's and the night rifle is a savage left hand bolt

Here are the pictures I promised. I'll send more in a few minutes. I'll edit this post.

S4200003.jpg

S4200001.jpg

JoesCoyoteBlind003.jpg

JoesCoyoteBlind010.jpg

JoesCoyoteBlind001.jpg

I have edited and all pics are posted.

Last edited:
Went to camp today, haven't hunted here since deer season, were behind two seperate gates three and a half miles in from the hiway, I'm the only predator hunter out of the 5 camps. Some activity on the river, set up about 80 yards upstream from the area that the coyotes are using to cross the river, no luck, saw this track on the way in, measures just over five inches from the back of the pad to the front of the toes, finally went to a buddies camp and set up in a blind there, and sat until dark over the bait pile, no takers, no vocals answered my calls. Spent seven hours total rummaging around, other than some fresh air and a good walk thats all I have to show for it.
Petes.jpg

BigWest2.jpg

BigWest1.jpg

Wolftracks1.jpg

Back