Baiting

Jackindistress
Ok thats a good idea!!!
So after the alarm goes off then I guess you switch on a light of some sort??
My bait pile is 170yds from my blind so I guess I dont need something that transmits for a couple miles,do I?

Grizleyhunter,
The Driveway Patrol brand like I have says that it works "Up To" 400 feet, but I couldn't get it to work reliably quite that far. I have been using it out to about 80 to 90 yards though.

There is another brand called Hunter Alert that I believe says works "up to" 500 feet but I wouldn't expect it to always work that far. The MURS systems will work that far though.

I use one of the Wildlife Technologies XLR250 gun mounted lights with the red LED for shooting at night. For 170 yards you might want a little brighter light. Maybe a spotlight with a red lens? I have never tried shooting much past 100 yards at night.

And yes, when the alarm goes off, switch on the light and see what is out there. Sometimes they come in and leave pretty quick at night.

This is a few pages back on this thread. Weaponx has a picture of his MURS alarm system.
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...099&page=12

Originally Posted By: GrizleyHunterMy bait pile is 170yds from my blind so I guess I dont need something that transmits for a couple miles,do I?

That's a pretty long poke at night. In fact that's a pretty long poke for alot of guys in broad day light.
smile.gif
I'd try cutting that distance in about half if at all possible.

Dude. I'm gonna get this IP Vidcam next for the bait pile. Sit in front on the 'puter. Wireless vid streaming while I'm home warm watching the playoff's..Lol

Link removed due to the owners request

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: GrizleyHunterMy bait pile is 170yds from my blind so I guess I dont need something that transmits for a couple miles,do I?

That's a pretty long poke at night. In fact that's a pretty long poke for alot of guys in broad day light.
smile.gif
I'd try cutting that distance in about half if at all possible. I agree with Doggin I would try to move your Bait to 75-100yds. You ca see what they are at that distance. And Grizley I use the Hunteralert senser cost $20 bucks plus S/H,it works great at 100yds.
thumbup1.gif

dogging coyotes
I hunt a powerline and some times they come out closer to the blind which makes for a closer shot,but I felt the farther away it was would help disperse my sent cone and make the yotes less aware that I was there.I did miss one at 250 a few days ago I just got a little hair.So to me it sounds like 170yards to my bait pile is to far for night hunting so I will stick to daylight hunting.

Slow night on the stand tonight fellas. The snow has melted and so has the fox activity on the 'ol bait pile. One showing up about every hour. First grey came in around 6:30 right to the base of my stand then out to circle the goodies. I took the shot and hit 'em but it ran off
frown.gif
. Second grey came in at 7:30, again right to the bottom of my stand but I couldn't see it clearly through my scope(lowest power is 10x)-just too close. Oh well, there is always another night. Did anyone else get to hunt?

Originally Posted By: weaponx
Dude. I'm gonna get this IP Vidcam next for the bait pile. Sit in front on the 'puter. Wireless vid streaming while I'm home warm watching the playoff's..Lol

weaponx, is this camera battery powered or do you have to have 120?

Jim

Hello to all from Downeast Maine. I have realy enjoyed reading this thred about baiting. I just found this site yesterday and I must say its one of the best forums I have found.After seeing the way some of you set up your bait sites I thought I would show you how some of the boys in this area harvest a few coyotes in the winter. Feel free to comment on the setup as everything can be improved.
This is a set up that 8-10 guys I know use in this area. This has proved to be quite successful with one guy shooting and killing over 70 in four years. Most all guys kill 15-20 per winter.

First we set up a bait pile from 70-200 yards from a window with a good rest. The window must open very quiet (very important). This is my bait pile in the first photo.
PC310020.jpg

I set up the site about 250 yds back further in the woods from the house to help build confidence and I think it worked they started eating 1 55gal barrel a week. There is 2 barrels of cow,deer and pig parts with some partridge parts from a hunt 9 days ago in the photo.
Once I moved the site to its final location,71 yds from my window,it only took 4 days until the coyotes started hitting the bait. When I got the bait to where I could see it from my house,its final location, I installed a Chamberlain wireless motion alarm ($94 radio shack) This is the sensor. see picture
PC310022.jpg

This is the beeper on the desk in my office. Its very important to put the beeper away from the window you will be shooting from because when you open the window and the beeper beeps the coyote will be gone.
PC310023.jpg

As I said I have only had the bait at this site for 5 days,on Wednesday night we had a coyote at the pile at 7pm. My son spotted it with a flashlight and it ran only to return 5 min later. Two nights later the coyotes were on the pile from 10:30pm to 1am we did not bother them at all just let them feed and get comfy.
On friday Newyears eve we installed a light system. I bought a outdoor rectangle box,outdoor lamp holder and a photo control for the light. I needed 250' of 14-2 wire to run to my home. The whole thing cost me $93.18 at EBS. pic
PC310021.jpg

The only thing I did differently is I oped for a red 100 watt flood light. I thought it will work better then a white flood light but the coyotes are still getting use to it, coyote may not get as spooked by the red light,we shall see. The regular flood light works but sometimes it takes awhile for the coyotes to get accustom to the light. If you mount the light back 30-40 feet shining away from your home and on the bait, its believed that it helps blind the coyote when he looks toward the your home. But some have the light shining strait down on the bait 20-25 feet high.

This is the view from my shooting window
PC310019.jpg

If you live in a residential area the red flood light may not assure you that its a coyote and not something else so keep that in mind. This system has worked very well for a number of guys here in Downeast Maine for a number of years. One guy that uses this system has no light he uses the beeper and a open field and shoots many but he needs the snow to offer him enough visibility for a good shot. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: JackindistressGrizzlyhunter,
Some of use are using those wireless driveway alarms to notify us when something is at our bait. Prices range from about $20 up. If you need something that will work for a couple of miles the MURS radio units are about $170.00.

I am using one that I ordered from Amazon. Cost was about $20.00. You can also find them on ebay. Search for Driveway Patrol motion sensor. That is the brand that I have.
we done kinda the same thing out at my buddy's dad's house but it was just a motion light on a tripod. bait pile was 200 yards behind the house and we just run power down the fence row and when we put bait out we just set it up and plugged it in. when they would come up to feed it would turn the light on, no need for a spotlight cause it lit them up!!

Do any of you guys put out whole animals for bait? A friend had to put down a mule and asked me if I wanted it for bait, I tied the whole carcass to a tree and pulled it out of the truck and left the rope attatched.
The coyotes have not touched it as of Saturday so I pierced the stomach area and cut into a hind to get them a start.
Will the rope scare them, do they not like whole animals?

A friend had to put down a horse this summer so he buried it on the back of his property around August. I went there this morning to do some calling. The coyotes dug a hole about 3 feet deep to get to the house,they have consumed alot of it even being under 3 feet of gravel. I had no luck calling there today but there were some fresh tracks in the snow.

Went to camp yesterday, had a deer that was found dead on the edge of a field and was using it for bait. Before the rain, and above freezing temps this past weekend nothing had touched it, been laying there since late november, not sure if the warm weather let extra scent drift out or if they finally got brave enough to come close to camp. This Sunday it turned cold and everything froze, needless to say the entire thing was consumesd except for the hide and there wasn't much left of that.

Whole animals work for me. I'll use anything from frozen g-hogs I shoot in the summer to road kill deer. I don't have to restock the sites as often using larger portions.

Originally Posted By: Cougar JimOriginally Posted By: weaponx

weaponx, is this camera battery powered or do you have to have 120?

Jim

It's battery powered. Sends video right to your PC. But you have to have other electronic eguipment to make it work Jim. And you have to know your subnet mask information and Ip address. The store has to put all that info in there, before you can use it. Truely....it's probably $900 worth of equipment. And I'm still kicking the idea around. But it sure would be neat!

Back