Kill Light dilema...advice please...HELP!

OutlawBiz

OK...I have been reading posting after posting and am just getting more and more confused!

I had originally looked at the BSA Laser Genetics ND3 light at local gun shop...LOVED IT! Then read about cold weather issues and since I live in SD...that is an issue. Subzero version of ND3 are quite spendy.

That's when I found out about the Elusive Wildlife XLR250 Kill Lights for 1/2 the money! Seemed liek a good deal...UNTIL I realized that the XLR250 doesn't have a "focusable" beam liek the ND3!?

2nd problem / concern...I will be using almost exclusively for nightime coyote hunting (no hogs etc.). So...what is the concensus on red light vs. green!? I know it's like pickups & beer...everyone has their favs...but I don't want to buy green if red is "better" for yotes etc.

3rd...is the "wash-out" of the XLR an issue since beam cannot be focused down to "dot" like the ND3!? Or, is it ok for 100yd and under yote shots!?

Lastly...is there a cheaper "homemade" option. I read a couple posts about LED flashlights from WalMart with red gel sheets cut to cover lens and getting virtually the same effect for $25!

Just liek everyone else...I am looking for a GOOD yet CHEAPEST solution possbile! Thanks for reading.

I just ordered two XLR250s to try, but I don't think you'd be limited to 100 yds by any stretch...guys here have reported killed well in the 200+ range, some 250+.

I just got the xlr250 kill light for christmas and have not been able to hunt with it yet.But this morning on my way to work and tried it out in a couple fields and all I can say is WOW.This thing really lights stuff up.I think 200 yard shots will not be a problem at all.

Great...but, what about the color options (red vs. green) and "wash-out" from not being able to focus the beam like the ND3!?

Thanks guys...keep 'em coming...

The XLR250 has a nice hot spot in the center of the beam so there is really no need for an adjustment on it.

Putting a red film or red lens on the cheap LED lights drastically reduces the distance the beam shines. Can work for a scanning light but would be only a short distance kill light.

For coyotes, get the red LED.

Well cant really say about the colors I have never used green.I just tried a homemade halo cover I made today out of a radiator hose and it made this light even better.Made the beam even tighter with less wash-out I think it will work great.

i too just got the red xlr 250 for Christmas, went out the other night to give it a try. mounted it on the right hand rail on my AR-15 and it was pretty centered. i could see no reason to want to adjust the beam. had a deer wander in at about 75 yards and with my Eotech i could clearly see the whole deer. had some more deer come in at over 150 yards and i could tell with just this light what they were.
i am very impressed with the XLR 250 and i foresee no problems with using this light for fox and coyotes. i know you have heard it before but this light is worth every penny IMO.
oh and my cousin was with me when i first used this light to scan the field and his response was "wow that lights up the world"
laugh.gif

All i can say is DO NOT GET THE ND3!!!! doesnt work at all in cold! Would work good in Hawaii! Mines going on Ebay

Originally Posted By: JackindistressThe XLR250 has a nice hot spot in the center of the beam so there is really no need for an adjustment on it.

Putting a red film or red lens on the cheap LED lights drastically reduces the distance the beam shines. Can work for a scanning light but would be only a short distance kill light.

For coyotes, get the red LED.

i have the single mode ultrafire 800 and with a red lense it is every bit as bright as the kill light...
so is the 500....ive hunted 4 nights with the red kill light and used it for scanning....

i bought 3 lights 2 every bit as bright and look near exact as the kill light....one red led...for my shotgun...one 300 lumin headlamp led....that is unreal for the price...plus 2 gun mounts for 94 dollars total....and have had no problems whatsoever...

Originally Posted By: OutlawBizOK...I have been reading posting after posting and am just getting more and more confused!

Lastly...is there a cheaper "homemade" option. I read a couple posts about LED flashlights from WalMart with red gel sheets cut to cover lens and getting virtually the same effect for $25!

Just liek everyone else...I am looking for a GOOD yet CHEAPEST solution possbile! Thanks for reading.

Becareful with that "Cheapest" idea, you'll get just that. Dollar for dollar, the Kill Light is the way to go, no need for focusing a beam on it, in my opinion. I scan with the XLR-100 and kill with the 250. No issues, and less than half the price and weight of a Lightforce. Good luck!

wash out isn't an issue with a halo shield of some sort. Like someone else said there is a hot spot in the middle and the halo is good for keeping them lit while coming in. Putting a filter on an led really dims the light. There are some chinese versions on ebay people have posted links to. I don't think they had colored bulbs though. Some guys just use white. I have tried it and it worked fine. I just don't like drawing attention to myself. I got harassed last night by a truck driving up and down the road shining his lights in the field trying to find me. I hate hunting that close to the road. People are so nosy.

I use the Laser Genetics ND-5 for handheld scanning on the fields and it's great with the adjustable beam so you can see further. But, I use the XLR-250, green, on my rifle. My eyes adjust back to the darkness faster and easier with the green than the red. I used the red lenses for a couple of years on other lights and they worked fine. I now just prefer the green myself. Both work great though for hunting. You'd be impressed and very happy with the XLR-250 and the price is definitely better than the ND-3. I highly recommend the XLR. I've tried the cheapos and have a closet full of them. They won't make it back out into the field again.

Originally Posted By: PrusonOriginally Posted By: OutlawBizOK...I have been reading posting after posting and am just getting more and more confused!

Becareful with that "Cheapest" idea, you'll get just that. Dollar for dollar, the Kill Light is the way to go, no need for focusing a beam on it, in my opinion. I scan with the XLR-100 and kill with the 250. No issues, and less than half the price and weight of a Lightforce. Good luck!

alot better than a liteforce....but the kill light parts are made the same place the cheaper so called lights are..ive used and took apart a kill light it is no different the the ultrafire lights...the ultrafire 800 blows it away....

the coleman led lights at walmart are also built well....

the kill light is a decent beam and a ton of flood even with a halo shield...the ultrafires seem to have a tighter beam and far less halo...

so i guess you could say a kill light isnt a cheap light but 2 batteries...a charger...2 mounts...and a light for 115 dollars...tells me the light itself is the same light with a different name stamped on it.....but is decently priced at 115.00 dollars...

like anything else its a fad gadget predator hunters go for.....

the tactical lights sure are the way to go...lite...compact...etc...

this is the light i purchased...would put it against a kill light anyday...and i got 3 colored lenses i can change in seconds...the mount cost me 4 dollars and 11 dollars for 2 batteries and a charger...less than 50 dollars

http://www.dinodirect.com/ultrafire-flashlight-1mode-cree-mce-led-800lumen.html

also when your hunting with a partner with a kill light you can hear the switch 40 yards away...

jmo based on usage...

Originally Posted By: happyyoterthis is the light i purchased...would put it against a kill light anyday...and i got 3 colored lenses i can change in seconds...the mount cost me 4 dollars and 11 dollars for 2 batteries and a charger...less than 50 dollars

http://www.dinodirect.com/ultrafire-flashlight-1mode-cree-mce-led-800lumen.html

happy~
Thanks for the advice! I have no doubt the Kill Light is a nice light...just trying to spend my dollar the wisest way possible!

I checked out your dinodirect link and UltraFire light...looks good. However, I didn't see where you could get different colored lenses or mount for it!? Maybe just need to keep diggin on website!? Also, do you find that the beam stays bright with a red lens over it...others have said that lenses cause a dramatic drop in light output compared to actual red LED's.

Lastly...do you have to be a dinodirect club member to get that pricing?

Thanks...great advice guys...that's why I love this site!

Last edited:
nope no member and i use the dj gel paper in this post...a pack is 5 dollars and ive done a ton of my friends and my own lights...

the mount i got off ebay think they raised them 5 bucks because alot were getting purchased

here is a pic of the gel paper..it can be put behind the glass lense on the inside of the light...very easy

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...mp;#Post1779175

you can get the mount of ebay..its called a flashlight scope mount...

opticsplanet has them also.....

go to ebay in the search type...flashlight scope mount...

or here but its 15..ebay is up a few bucks more also...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nc-star-ms1m-1inch-scope-mount.html

hope this helps...

i've got the XLR250 in red and it's really good, i've got a 10"home made pvc halo shield and it really tightens the beam. i think this is a very good deal.
don

Does anyone know the Lumens output on the XLR250 & 100 models!? I have looked on E.W.'s website and found nothing. Tried calling them for 2 days now and they won't answer phones either!?

Trying to compare their lumen output to the UltrFire 800 lumen output etc.

Originally Posted By: OutlawBizDoes anyone know the Lumens output on the XLR250 & 100 models!? I have looked on E.W.'s website and found nothing. Tried calling them for 2 days now and they won't answer phones either!?

Trying to compare their lumen output to the UltrFire 800 lumen output etc.

Got an email back from Elusive Wildlife in regards to lumens output on the XLR 250 & 100 lights. Here's what Bobby said:
"I do not have the data on the lumens for the green and red XLR250; however, the white is rated at 900 lumens with the green and red lower in lumens respectively.

The XLR 250 (any color) is guaranteed to illuminate the entire animal at 250 yards for positive identification or your money back.

The White XLR100 light is 300 lumens, the red XLR100 is 180 lunmens, and i do not have the info for the green but it is higher than the red."

Back